1. Jo Jo Jay

Jo Jo Jay Member

Greetings all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jo Jo Jay, Feb 23, 2016.

So I'm quite new to creative writing. Before this year, in fact, I rarely even considered writing anything on paper that I didn't have to. Even so, like many of you I'm sure, I dream of writing for a living. I'm only fifteen, and I'm not, you might say... "good." Even so, I'm starving for improvement and I think being involved in an active and vibrant community such as this will be great for support, motivation, education, and plain fun!
    I adore fiction. Two of my favorite series are the trilogy The Magicians, by Lev Grossman, and The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. So I think that's enough for a brief introduction. I'm really looking forward to getting involved with this community!
    Anyways, farewell for now!

2. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Senior Member

Hello and welcome Jo Jo Jay, I hope you will be happy here and share with us much of your work, and you find it a good benefit :)

3. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Hello and welcome. You have found a good place to get you motivated while satisfying that hunger for improvement.

4. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I pity the fact you had a time where you didn't appreciate creative writing. The horror! I can only imagine the emptiness of that life.

5. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Hi Jo Jo Jay, you may feel as though you have come into writing late but 15 is as good an age as any to get started! I wish I had a community like this available when I was 15 so make the most of it, haha. I have only been a member on here for two days now but I am already loving this place :) What do you like to write?

6. Jo Jo Jay

Jo Jo Jay Member

Hiya Ford! Yeah, I consider myself quite lucky to have a community like this, even if I haven't done much writing in the past.
    Also I haven't written much other than some short stories and perhaps a poem or two. But even so I love writing light fantasy stories set in realistic worlds. Much like The Magicians or The Night Circus. I always find them to be particularly beautiful and enchanting stories and I love creating things that have that same effect. :)

7. Jo Jo Jay

Jo Jo Jay Member

It was a dark and lonely time in my life. But hey, suffering breeds creativity! At least, I think. I hope.

8. Jo Jo Jay

Jo Jo Jay Member

Thank you for the welcome :)! I can't wait to get into it. I'll definitely be sharing and reading.

9. Jo Jo Jay

Jo Jo Jay Member

Thanks! I'm feeling validated in my actions now! :D

10. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Yes, it definitely seems like a good find :) Any writing is still writing (even the old, embarrassingly bad stories locked away that authors never speak of) and some people never end up writing anything. I do love the fantasy genre as well as I grew up on fantasy books and series; just one of the many reasons I decided to write stories :) One of my particular favourites, which is set in a realistic world/alternative, or magical, version of our own, is the Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud. Have you heard of it?

11. Jo Jo Jay

Jo Jo Jay Member

I have heard of it only in passing, but I haven't had the pleasure of reading. I just looked up some general information about it and it definitely looks intriguing! That's one more story for the TBR list! So, what do you write? Or what are your favorite things to write?

12. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

I'm glad I could provide a good reading recommendation :) It's been one of my favourite series since I was about 10. I like to write within nature themes as well as the fantasy and historical fiction genres :) I have written a few poems and short stories but have yet to complete a novel.

13. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

How dark is "light"? Because I recommend the Monster Blood Tattoo Trilogy. It's one of the best world-building pieces in all fiction that I've fully experienced myself.