1. elynne

elynne Active Member

Elynne's Really Clever Progress Journal Thread Title

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by elynne, Aug 26, 2014.

working on As-Yet-Untitled fanfic. have been gnawing on this transitional scene, which is necessary and is a pretty good way of introducing several plot threads that will become important later on, but it's just feeling clumsy and awkward to write. after I get off work I'm going to try navigating out a skeleton plot and see if I can skip ahead, then go back and fill it in later--not a tactic that's worked well for me before, but maybe it will this time? the scene itself is fine; I'm just--gumming up on trying to put it down on paper. also, it's about to go somewhere I haven't plotted out properly, so again, that's something that would be useful to do at this point.

favorite thing I've written so far today:
    "Please allow me to clumsily change the subject," he said, his smile widening to almost a smirk as he gestured to a nearby archway.

(editing a given entry for stuff added on the same day, rather than making an entirely new entry, because REASONS)

I've now migrated the current draft into a Scrivener document. I'll have to check around here to see if there's answers to a couple of questions I have about Scrivener. I can't help feeling that it's a far more powerful program than I really need, but enh--better too much than not enough. it's interesting to see how many words I've written in how many places. it's also interesting to see that I have NO FREAKING CLUE how to spell the word "dais."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. elynne

elynne Active Member

roadmapping the story. IT'S TERRIBLE. EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE. I SHOULD NEVER WRITE AGAIN. I have two huge blank spots of "time passes, plots thicken." hmm... wait, I forgot a conflict. where can I put that? oh! hmm. should that go before, or after? well... that part can go before, and then... oooooh hahaha yessss. "hijinks ensure!" is a much better filler. also lol this dialogue, I'll probably never get to use it but just knowing it exists makes me happy.

suddenly this feels less like a skeleton with big empty spaces and more like a coloring book. I'm outlining shapes and pictures and I can't wait to color them in! still not sure how I'm going to bridge a couple of parts, though, and I do have one part that's still "time passes, things settle into a routine," but I also have at least one thing mapped to happen during that time.

3. elynne

elynne Active Member

jumped ahead to write a pivotal scene that's towards the end of the story--basically the "oh s**t EVERYBODY RUN" sequence, in which the main character's misunderstanding of the situation causes a bunch of panic which in turn almost causes the failure of the entire reason for the story happening in the first place. to be honest I'm really not sure exactly how I'm going to resolve that, but I'm sure it'll be hilarious!

but I'm exhausted--hot weather and pain--and I'm going to go sleep now, instead of flailing at the words until I get frustrated. :p

4. elynne

elynne Active Member

almost my last day of work before writing hiatus. it's hard to focus on work--I wanna wriiiiite. (and I have been sneaking bits of writing in anyway) at least the weather is nicer today; cooler, and it was overcast until 3-ish, though now the sun's out and it's warming up, bleah.

and I've added someone on this site to my ignore list. yay! sigh

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. elynne

elynne Active Member

no progress today whatsoever. in my defense, today was a very busy day. although I did wake up and find that I'd written "GIANT SPACE MANATEE" in my dream journal with great excitement the night before, so maybe that counts? I don't know, I'm going to go play some more Diablo.

also I changed my userpic. :D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I want to like your progress journal. But you'll have to stop berating yourself first. Unless you are writing about a tortured writer. Then I can like all your posts. :)

7. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

8. elynne

elynne Active Member

enh... this isn't really self-beration, it's more... good-humoured self-mockery? but as my progress journal thing, it most accurately reflects what goes on in my head on a general basis, so. ;)

yeah well. some days are more productive than others--which means you have to have less productive days, so you've got something to measure the more productive days by, right? LOGIG! LOGIT! ..... LOGIC! (I need more coffee) (also I still don't really understand how to use the quote thing properly, wheee)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  9. elynne

elynne Active Member

not quite my last day of work for a while, as they begged me to work Labor Day to cover for people on holiday, but second-to-last.

you know how you start to write a story based around one single concept, a scene or idea that's the seed at the center of the pearl, and then you start building the pearl up around it and after a while you realize that one central concept doesn't actually fit the story you're writing? the current project is a fanfic (of course) that had its origins in an idea for a smutty scene. at this point, the smut not only doesn't fit with the tone of the rest of the story, I'm not sure how to wedge the actual scene into the sequence of events. I've tried a couple of things, but nothing has worked. it seems increasingly likely that the story is going to turn out to be entirely smutless. maybe I'll write a postscript and the smut can happen there. :p there is definitely an undercurrent of flirtation, but at this point it's barely getting into an uppercurrent, much less any kind of overtly sexual behavior. oh well.

meanwhile, I've come up with an entertaining idea for how to turn the baseless panic scene into an actual "well damn, I guess everything really is falling apart" scene--for completely different reasons than the characters are expecting. WHEEEEE

hmm--wonder if the bit I just wrote is too anvilicious for people familiar with the source material, or if it's necessary to lay the foundation for the characters' reactions to events. I'll definitely need a couple of beta readers for this.

do I use "-ly" words too much? I'm very, very tempted to do a global search and just delete all the "-ly" words. I think I will do that, at least for one draft.

almost done with work, have added 1000+ words to this scene. a lot of it is tactical stuff--literally, the leader of the group saying "you, do this; you, do that; everybody, do x and prepare for y." not sure how much of that I'll end up keeping, although it's very useful to have them all sitting around watching a live video feed--their second-hand reactions and speculations are more fun to write than the first-hand scene itself. :D

I still have to write all the bits to get from there to here, of course.

10. elynne

elynne Active Member

DAMN. I was kind of expecting this to happen--I've put so much energy into writing the late chapter, it's now painful to drag my attention back to the beginning and write the bits that have to happen before that chapter. bleah. well... hmm. how to re-engage myself? make up some personalities? that might work...

11. elynne

elynne Active Member

rewatching source material and making notes. (I'm being intentionally obscure here--guess the source material!)

1. can't use that scene... can't even use that set, my gods, that's so freakin' impractical--did they build that just for the occasion? well, it's entirely possible, yes. enh, I'm going to stick with my original, much smaller scale version of that scene.
    2. I DID NOT REALIZE THAT. well. that... makes that particular character's actions EVEN MORE amazingly dickish. and it explains why that place is so messed up.
    3. I really am completely distracted by staring at Canon Character in every scene they're in. mmm....
    4. this video player has a fast-forward, but not a slow-forward or frame-by-frame. sigh
    5. oh, he did tell him that. ... wait, how did he know that?
    6. and pretty much everything else after that is irrelevant to what I'm writing.
    6.a. but kinda pretty.

12. elynne

elynne Active Member

I just realized last night that if I follow the plot outline I've got so far, Canon Character would not do what I want them to do given the situation I've set up. so now I'm juggling around the different elements of the story I've got to see if I can come up with a way to wind up with the ending I want. if that doesn't work... I'm going to have to figure out a completely different ending for this. headdesk WELP I guess that's what I get for trying to work with strong characters, eh? :p

working on the plot, I realized that part of the problem is that Canon Character 2's plot arc/personality development in the original material is completely unrealistic--but CC2's personality change is a requirement to drive the plot arc for CC1. I'd seen references to it, but hadn't realized just how completely, deeply broken the idea is until I started trying to rework it to fit my plot. ugh.

and then while ranting about it to friends, one friend posited a headcanon interpretation of the original material that makes everything fall into place. WOOT THERE IT IS

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  13. elynne

elynne Active Member

I guess since it's after midnight this now counts as a new day's entry, rather than editing the old one, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I've gotten to the point of the Canon Character flirting with my OC and SUDDENLY I AM SO MUCH MORE INTERESTED IN WRITING THIS PART OF THE STORY LIEK WHOAH. yes, I'm writing self-indulgent self-insert OC fanfic. the trick is if I can get people to like it anyway. if I can do that, then I win.

and then I woke up this morning and realized I'd figured out how to re-insert the smut. yay! now I just have to get there.

hehehee, finished the first bit of flirting. now--ANGST. and conflict!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  14. elynne

elynne Active Member

ugh, I have a whole list of stuff I need to do today, and Idon'twanna do any of it. doesn't help that I'm at a point in the story where I basically need to fill in a section of "days pass, but a couple of minor things happen," which is tedious and coming out very clumsy. I think today just isn't a good writing day for me. blah.

yeah, I'm trying to push my way through, and no, I shouldn't. some days are just not good writing days, and this is one of them. :|

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  15. elynne

elynne Active Member

had to attend a birthday party yesterday; spent most of the party really wishing for a laptop or a notebook or something. I think it's good for me to be forced to take days off when I don't want to, as well as when I need to stop for a bit--the enforced time away from the keyboard makes me think about what I'm working on, and then I'm super-happy to get back to it.

and wow, I am SUPER HAPPY to be back to it now, because there is intense kissing going on, which didn't happen exactly like I expected but is going quite well indeed.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  16. elynne

elynne Active Member

and now, the sexy bits. not sure how much time I'll have to write over the next couple of days--Things are Afoot that will keep me Pretty Darn Busy, which is annoying.

still, I've managed nearly four thousand words today, for a "sex scene" of almost six thousand words, of which the actual sex is a total of one paragraph. but it's all good stuff, yes. yay!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  17. elynne

elynne Active Member

I think I'm about ready to post the first two chapters of my fanfic story. I might do that tonight. meanwhile... having had a RIDICULOUSLY STRESSFUL AND BUSY DAY, I'm now going to relax with some mindless browser-based games--aaaaand writing! :D

... damn. I just realized that to make the plot twist I want to have happen, I'm going to have to introduce another character--a straight-up villain/antagonist (aside from the "conflicted and eventually straightens up" antagonist)--and while I'd really like to bring one in from the source material, there aren't any plausible candidates. .... wait... hehehehh, what about--the other source material? heheheeheheheheheee oooh yeah, let's see...

... well this is annoying. basically, I have three sources; the primary one I'm using as the universe for the story I'm writing, the secondary one that the primary one is more or less directly based on, and the tertiary one that the secondary one is sort of based on. in the secondary and tertiary sources, there's a character that could easily play a perfect antagonist in my story, with lots of documented history of various kinds that give them interesting background, experience, and motivations, and even suggests a parallel character arc. but this character doesn't exist in the primary source I'm using. so now I have to decide whether to use the character anyway... although I'm obviously siding with "aw hell yes," and if anybody argues with me I can point to the secondary and tertiary source material and then do that annoying laugh like the bully kid in the Simpsons.

welp I've just added another layer of sub-plot to the story. I hope I don't have to cut or change too much of what I've already written... but I don't think I will; I'll probably have to add stuff, to set it up properly from the main character's point of view, but it should be easy enough to add to stuff I have plotted but haven't written yet.

no--no, it's not "another layer of sub-plot"; it is, in fact, THE PLOT. it ties everything together, lets me add in more stuff from the primary source material, provides background and motivations for all kinds of stuff (including stuff in the primary source material that didn't make much sense), and draws from both the secondary and tertiary source material to add another character who is gonna be awesome. eeeeeeee

I could really use a Checkov's Gun. and I know, I'm spelling it wrong, but you know what I mean. I don't need one, and if I use one it's going to have to be completely created, because I can't use the one in the primary source and there's nothing I know of in the secondary or tertiary sources that works. I'm wanting it as an excuse to escalate the climactic confrontation... which is... wrong. the reason it went the way it did in the source material is because it was centered around the other character, and focused on their strength (and weakness). my story is focused around a different character, and I need to play up their strength and weakness instead. hmm. how do...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  18. Canopyvine

Canopyvine Member

If you want to relax I would suggest to listen to this.
    It always works for me.

elynne likes this.
  19. elynne

elynne Active Member

thank you--that's really lovely! :)

20. elynne

elynne Active Member

what I really want (it's after midnight, I can write a new post now) is to make [character] a [noun], which would wrap the whole end sequence up in a pretty package with a nice bow. it seems gratuitous, though. and it still doesn't give me a way to tie up the antagonist's loose end.

decided not to make [character] a [noun]. found a way to get antagonist into the resolution-fight.

on the other hand, I've now spent so much energy and attention figuring out these things and updating my notes/outline accordingly that I'm finding it difficult to actually write.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  21. elynne

elynne Active Member

some days, the words just don't go right. today has been one such day. I've banged out about 1k words and I'm pretty sure they're all going to have to be completely rewritten at some point. ah well... sleep time, and maybe when I wake up the words will be flowing again.
    ... nope--words not going any better today. I think I'm having a bit of a depressive slump. I'll try pounding some more words out anyway, but I don't expect to produce anything good. maybe I'll surprise myself. :p

I've now identified two things going on that are making writing more difficult for me currently. first, depression; second, reading a very good book with a very distinct style, which has been drowning out my own. I will think of these things as challenges, rather than stopping points though, because dammit writing

got a bit more writing and even some rewriting of previous bits done, with help from re-watching the source material and playing mindless computer games for a while instead of reading that excellent and infuriating book.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  22. elynne

elynne Active Member

talked over current scene with Spouse, who pointed out a couple of things which I kind of already knew but which do mean that I had to delete half a page of bad dialogue. now I just have to replace it with better dialogue, and that's the hard part--especially since this scene is pretty complicated; both the characters have secrets, both know secrets about the other that the other doesn't know they know, one knows a secret about the other character that the other character doesn't know, each are trying to get information from the other without the other person being aware that they're digging for info or what about, and they're both in disguise. I'm hoping I won't have to make a flowchart for this, but I might! on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that once I do work it out properly, it's going to be 1. hilarious and 2. full of nifty convolutions to add to the overall plot. whehehee!

okay, now that I know what's going on in this scene the dialogue is flowing much better. added over a thousand words which I'm pretty sure are good to keep.

am I ready to post the first two chapters here? (they kinda have to be posted together, for Reasons) maybe tomorrow. >__>

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  23. elynne

elynne Active Member

oh--I still can't post something for review here. evidently I haven't done enough constructive reviewing. or I don't have enough "points." or something. and I have no idea if it's because something I wrote wasn't considered constructive or reviewish enough, or if I need more "points," or what these "points" are OR ANYTHING OR WHAT I JUST DON'T KNOW. so screw it. ya'll don't get to read it yet. :p

I didn't get anything new written today; combination of running long, complicated, frustrating errands and having run out of my antidepressant on Sunday. I was really hoping the refill would come in the mail today, but NOPE. so this is going to suck. on the upside, I was at least coherent (and awake--just got up from a 3-hour nap) enough to go back and do a little bit of touchup and patching on some of the stuff I've already written. but I'm not sure what to do now; I suspect that if I try to push at writing when I'm in this condition, I'm going to not only end up with a mess that I'll have to delete later but I'll also 1. frustrate myself 2. become despondent about the entire project and 3. possibly quit. DO NOT WANT. same goes with reviewing, really, though that's less likely to cause problems for me, since I can tell myself that I'm just re-reading and oh hey, this is a better word here! and this phrase works better... little pieces.

tonight will be an exercise in trying to force myself to stay awake until my usual bedtime, rather than crawling back into bed five hours early. wheeeee fun times amirite?

24. elynne

elynne Active Member

was feeling sad and stuck. then said "what the fuck, I'm gonna write whatever I want and not worry about what anybody else thinks," and promptly churned out 800 words of pure fluff-fic. after which, I was able to add a couple hundred more words to a couple of other scenes that I've been bouncing back and forth between of non-fluff. so, yay for fluff! tomorrow will be another busy day of mostly AFKness. and hopefully my pills will come in the mail. fingers crossed...

25. elynne

elynne Active Member

on the upside, I figured out why my Rx refill hasn't shown up. on the downside, it's because the order I placed for it never went through, so now I have to go to the pharmacy and get a refill directly to make sure that I have it before I leave for a trip next Thursday. wheheheee