1. Cade Johnson

Cade Johnson New Member

Question about Free Verse... A newb question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cade Johnson, Dec 10, 2011.

I'm embarrassed to ask, but hate fake people. I won't pretend to be all-knowing.

I love poetry. I run a website that is largely focused on it, but I must admit I am somewhat new to a lot of styles, including variations of free verse. Some of it, I write and love. It doesn't necessarily rhyme, doesn't have a set rhythm, and doesn't have structured stanzas. However, my poems are clearly poems (in my mind). I do have a changing rhythm, and phrases that emphasize different things, etc. Emotion.

My problem: some poetry I've read... doesn't. To me, some free verse appears to be a short story or monologue where someone just hit the "return" key at inappropriate times, creating shorter lines. I see few literary devices, zero discernible rhythm, no structure, nothing. COMPLETELY FREE. But if a work of literature is completely free, would that not shake the label "poetry" from it? I'm so confused and want to understand. I want to appreciate the paintings these artists create. Most of these works are very good regardless, but I can't make my mind see how they are poetry. I just always believed poetry at least had RHYTHM for emotional emphasis. Please teach me something. (an example comes to mind- a lot of Bukowski's poems, and the work of similar authors)

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

If someone says something's a poem, then it is. Whether or not it's any good is a different question entirely--not all free verse poetry is good free verse poetry--but there's no specific definition of free verse that requires it to have any particular feature. Don't get hung up on whether or not a work is poetry or not--if the author says it is, then it is. Instead, critique the poem itself to see if it's successful or not.

3. Cade Johnson

Cade Johnson New Member

Good advice heard well, I assure you. I just get a little tripped up by poets as famous as some of them are who wrote things I cannot see a poetic element in. Thank you for the input.