1. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Do you dream about your stories?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by lipton_lover, Apr 13, 2009.

This question may sound odd, but I'm serious. I love dreams, especially realistic ones/ones that continue/ones that I have more than once/nightmares... you get the idea. And I think I write pretty vivid stories, that would make great dreams. But I have never dreamt about one before. Does anyone else? And if so, do you know why? (aka did you read it just before falling asleep)

Thanks, Nate

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I don't think it's an odd question at all. I'm sure lots of people do. If I have had such dreams, though, I don't remember them.

3. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

If I'm right into a project, living and breathing it, then I visualise being a fly on the wall watching and listening to what is happening. Then when I dream, it carries on. Very useful when I'm not sure about a scene or dialogue! Even more useful, I remember it when I wake up.

4. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed New Member

A lot! :)

5. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    Heh, when I was something like 12 one of the first complete "books" (4000 words is pretty good at that age!) I wrote was based heavily on a heroic fantasy style dream I'd had the night before, and then imagined what would happen if a key character from the dream dropped into reality (and the MC later returning to slay a great evil sorcerer, naturally). I even wrote several sequels, still have the original word documents on my computer, later attempted (with no success) to write a complete fantasy novel based strongly on it, and at one point last year half planned a serious fantasy / scifi trilogy based loosely upon it, because if anything is going to get me famous it's an all but forgotten wish fulfillment dream from my childhood.

I think I'm digressing. :rolleyes: I very rarely recall dreams of my own stories, but every so often I'll wake up frantically trying to recall some dream as inspiration. (Usually I forget anything useful by the time I have a pen in hand. :()

6. thabear637

thabear637 New Member

Yes i've dreamt a little about the story I'm writing.

Of course when I do I only know I dreamt of it, nothing specific comes to mind so it doesn't help with the actual "story" :(

7. rory

rory Active Member

I don't generally dream, but on the rare occasions that I do it's fanfic-ish, because I've just recently read the story/watched the movie/played the game. Actually I'm not sure it would be accurate to call it dreaming, it's in that state before sleep but you're not really awake either...

8. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

I don't think I've ever dreamt of any of my stories.

I do daydream, though. I was once walking through some woods and part of it was a pine grove. I had recently written a story in which a murder takes place in a pine grove. I pictured my characters coming through the trees and me knowing what was going to happen. It was eerie.

9. vanhunks

vanhunks New Member

I call them story dreams. Sometimes I dream an entire story sequence. Of course, when I wake up in the morning, I have very little recollection of them. I have a better recollection when I'm awake. Of course.

vanhunks

10. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

My dreams don't make any sense. My stories come to me in the shower or on my commute.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't dream about what i'm writing, but i did dream a great story once that i then wrote as a sci-fi screenplay...

12. SilverRam

SilverRam New Member

I don't have dreams on pre-existing stories, I do make stories after dreams. I hate dreams, good thing I don't get them anymore. All I ever did get is nightmares about fire. The few dreams that were fun were simply amazing.

13. Brightsmiles

Brightsmiles New Member

Somewhere between the rabbit hole and wonderland.
    i dream about my story line a lot. half the time i don't remember actual words of dialouge, but i am left with impressions of characters and emotional tensions etc, which help make them so much real to me and that ends up showing in my work. i daydream about it a lot too, to see if what i'm writing fits in with how it would naturally unfold. i do notice when i'm thinking about it more during the day, i tend to dream about it that night.

14. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I dream a lot about many of my characters. It is like they are talking to me, through my dreams. I remember when they spoke (my characters) to me I can feel them not only in dreams but even when I am awake. So this is not an odd question. Yes your character can come to life. Enjoy it and write down anything that you can remember. It really helped my writing. Just my two cents.

15. architectus

architectus Banned

Look up lucid dreaming techniques. Use that, but while you are falling back to sleep imagine the place in your story you want to dream about.

16. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

You hate dreams?! I would think every writer would love them as much as me. I especially love nightmares. Great writing material aside, dreams are fascinating.

Thanks architectus, I will do that.

17. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    Believing you are in a horrible situation and then waking up terrified and tired it awesome.

Wait, what?

18. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Pfft. I wish. Getting bossed around by Taylor, my MC? That would be awesome. XD

19. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

When I was a young child, I would say I was around nine or ten years of age, I had a very vivid dream. I was so affected by it that I wrote a short story the very next morning. Have no clue where it disappeared to...

20. SilverRam

SilverRam New Member

Ah, just remembered I once dreamed of a story I was working on(scrapped now) There was a new character there, I had no pre-existing thoughts about him. He was just there, dreamed up within a dream. I still use him too. He's just evolved alittle.

They're not fun when a your nine and dreaming about unstoppable fire crawling towards your home. Twice a week, and I've never even had bad experiences with fire.

21. jade's dream

jade's dream New Member

hi, yes all my ideas have come from my dreams. I now have a habit of keeping notebook and pen beside my bed as Im afraid of forgetting them.
    I sometimes have a habit of having weird dreams as well, I must have a great imagination for that to happen.

22. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I dont often dream about my stories (though it has happened on rare occasions), but most of my stories come to me in dreams. I rarely dream, and I figure when it's a dream I remember, it's worth writing about. :)

23. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

This is really random...but speaking about dreams, I had one last night where Homer Simpson somehow became a black man...it was very odd. I remember him wanting to do a lot of discoing. Of course, this could have been the affect of the narcotics I've been prescribed, but *dang.* What a weird dream...

~Lynn

24. Bongo Mongo

Bongo Mongo New Member

My stories are based off my dreams so yeah, you can say that I do.

25. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I'm able to control my dreams to an extent, and so every once in a while something creative comes out of them. It's rare that I actually dream about the stories I'm working on- I'll think about them right before I go to bed both because I sometimes get good ideas then and because I have trouble sleeping and keeping my busy helps me fall asleep easier.

That said, two of my stories were based on my dreams. One is a short story which I've unfortunately lost, the other is a novel I'm planning on working on once I have some time away from my current project. Often I'll wake up and think 'Damn, I wish I could remember that dream, it would have make a great story," and those were two times I actually remembered.