1. I-pie3

I-pie3 New Member

Emotional?? Or something else....??

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by I-pie3, Apr 17, 2009.

My character at the moment has a supernatural ability to produce static energy.
    Yes this is a sci-fi story....!
    I was just wondering how to make my character come across to others.
    Should he be emotional?
    Should he be quiet and show no emotions at all?
    Or something else?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Forget he has any special abilities. Wriute him as you would write any character. He could be a volatile volcanohead, a reserved "solid rock in any storm", or anything in between. It really depends on how you want to write him

3. I-pie3

I-pie3 New Member

Thanks. I think he'll be the dark, un-emotional type. If it will work...?

4. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I think you missed the point a little. (not meant to sound sarcastic, I apologize if it comes off as such.)

It's your novel and your character. YOU get to decide what works and what doesn't. I find that coming up with the backstory, creating events in his past that would mold him into the person he is today helps with my character development. Starting with an archetype tends to limit your character. To create, real, three demensional people, they need to have flaws, ambitions, motivations.

I hope that came across coherently...

5. thegearheart

thegearheart New Member

I must respectfully disagree with Mr. Cogito on this one, but I think I see his intent. Don't make the character two-dimensional. Make sure that he has more traits than just those which stem from his power.

Static energy is something beyond my ken. Do you mean static electricity? Because it would be hilarious if he were the twitchy guy who gets bent out of shape easily. You know, because he's always getting shocked?

It's a classic trope of the sci-fi world to link a character's personality to their power. Fire-powered people are often hot-headed. Water-powered people are oft introspective. It's not 100% like this, but it often follows this pattern.

The character's power is going to have an effect on his personality because the character lives with it 24/7. Its consequences should have a lasting impact on his identity. However, this may put you in a ripe opportunity to subvert our expectations. Try and figure out where you want this character to go and what the basic elements will be- then make a person out of it.

Yeah, the powers factor in, but make sure his mind is more than just a couple of tiny adjectives like "dark, brooding or twitchy."

6. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

Listen to the character, that's the most important thing you can do as a writer. Listen to his reactions to other people's comments in his world, listen to his connection to his family, friends, etc. From there you usually can gauge a personality type without boxing him in with descriptions such as 'emotional and 'quiet with no emotions at all'.

7. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

Think of a lot of features....did he gain this gift? Then decide his personality beforehand and how gaining this changed his personality both short term and long term.

If he has always had it think about what effects it's had on his life and what events have occured because of it. Then how of these events affected him.

When crafting characters with superpowers most writers say they craft the character then his ability. Their power comes second, stories are driven by character because they drive the action

8. c.n.nevets

c.n.nevets New Member

Since you're starting with the ability, one of the questions might be how you envision the char using this power.

1) Like a joybuzzer?
    2) To hold onto objects with a more sure grip?
    3) As a way to add zip to physical attacks when defending himself?
    4) In order to scramble their minds with one hand on each temple?

Normally I wouldn't start with a power, but since that's where you are, think about how it should be used. Each of the four uses I mentioned would suggest a different personality. I'm sure whatever you think of will have similar implications.

Have fun exploring the possibilities!