1. REplAyLove

REplAyLove New Member

Emotional problems while writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by REplAyLove, Sep 2, 2012.

I have become emotionally attached to my novel and at times, it upsets me to the point I don't want to continue writing it. It has become hard in these mid-late stages and was wondering if anybody has ever experienced this. If so, what did you do to get past it? Thank you ahead of time, any input is appreciated.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you afraid of failing and that it won't be good enough?

3. REplAyLove

REplAyLove New Member

Oh my, no haha. I have become attached to the story. Certain chapters make me feel so upset that I don't want to continue writing them. The characters, setting, everything has just become a part of me and when something upsetting happens in the story, it actually is starting to affect me emotionally.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

This happened to me a few times, I wrote a scene that made me cry -
    I felt like Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone sobbing over her ending and exclaiming - God, that's good!

I take a break, get away from them for a while. Keep a bit of distance from your characters, growing
    too attatched to them can turn them into a pile of precious kittens - you don't want anything
    to happen to them and then you start coddling them.

5. REplAyLove

REplAyLove New Member

Haha! Thank you so much :love:

6. Pandywoo

Pandywoo New Member

I would imagine if that amount of emotion is going into the piece, the reader can't fail to get it back! I know when I've written songs that I've connected with like this it usually comes back out to the listener.

Other times I just seem like an over emotional washed up musician sobbing into my guitar! Haha :rolleyes:

7. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

I felt like crying to my MC in a certain chapter, and was angry for her in another one. It's part of being a writer. Characters, once they become real enough to you, will feel like old friends, and you hate to leave the computer, and them, each time you have to leave.

8. MilesTro

MilesTro Active Member

For some reason I don't feel anything from my characters when I write. But the only reaction I get is laughter when funny situations happen to my characters.

But yah, it is okay to feel connected to your characters. It will help you realize how real your characters sound like so your readers can enjoy them.

9. J. Blake

J. Blake Member

I've never quite understood this, personally. Maybe I have yet to write up a story that touches me on that level, or maybe I'm just cold-blooded, but it always seemed a little over-dramatic when I hear writers talking about how they've become 'attached' to their stories on an emotional level.

It's great that you feel something for the character you've created; that means (s)he's real and has depth. If you feel that well, it's likely so will your reader.

That being said. Be weary of attaching yourself emotionally to your characters beyond a certain level. You'll begin to subconsciously coddle them because you don't want them to 'get hurt' or something ridiculous like that.

10. AFord

AFord New Member

What an interesting dynamic here, becoming emotionally involved with a work-in-progress. Makes sense and maybe an important part of developing the characters and storyline as your book unfolds.

11. Celestey

Celestey New Member

If you can become emotionally involved then great job! I have yet to write a story that made me cry. I wish I could though, it means that you're writing extremely well! If I ever found myself in your shoes though I would shut off the computer for awhile, watch some Mean Girls then come back next week, or earlier it's up to you! :)

Hope this helps!
    Celestey!