1. john murphy

john murphy New Member

EMPHASIS etiquette

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by john murphy, Oct 12, 2011.

I am writing a sci-fi in which characters periodically shout at one another, or place heavy emphasis on one word out of a stern piece of dialogue. What is more appropriate to use, ALL CAPS, or italics? examples, "I can't BELIEVE this disgusting lack of discipline!” He threw down his weapon and screamed, "WE ARE NEVER GETTING OFF OF THIS PLANET!"

2. colinbeckett

colinbeckett New Member

For the single word emphasis, italics if it is absolutely necessary. Often though, the reader does not need to be told specifically which word is emphasized, as they can figure it out for themselves.
    If you need to emphasize an entire sentence, or indicate screaming, an exclamation point is sufficient. There isn't a rule against all caps exactly, but some readers find it annoying and perhaps a bit unprofessional. I mean, J.K. Rowling got away with it, but only after she had established herself.

3. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

I would use italics. All caps should only be used when you have no way of doing italics or if you're willing to take a huge risk.