1. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Daedalus

Discussion in 'Research' started by Backbiter, Apr 8, 2011.

So, I've begun writing something of a short story, although I'm not sure whether or not I'll expand on it. It's loosely based on the Greek myth of Daedalus, with a more modern twist and a different ending.

I know the basis of the myth, but I'm not sure on all the details.

Things I do know:

- Daedalus had a son named Icarus. At some point, they were imprisoned by King Minos, and, in an attempt to escape, Daedalus invented wings for them to fly to the mainland. He warned Icarus not to fly too high or low, but he didn't listen, and Icarus drowned.

- Daedalus' nephew Perdix came to live with him. Long story short, Perdix was brilliant and Daedalus got jealous and pushed him off of the Acropolis. Athena saved Perdix by turning him into a partridge.

But that's about it. Can anyone provide details of why Daedalus was imprisoned by Minos, or life before that, or afterwards? Also whether the Icarus or Perdix stories happened first.

I appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

- Backbiter

2. Smoke

Smoke New Member

What I know of Daedalus is that he built the maze that they kept the Minotaur in. I can't remember if it's true or I'm just guessing, but I think he was kept in Minos so that he couldn't reveal the secret of the maze.

I'm not sure if he created the ball of golden thread that goes with the maze.

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

The thread was given to Thesseus by Ariadne, so he could escape the maze.

But it shouldn't be too hard to find more info by just googling "Daedalus Icarus".

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

google is your best friend!

always go there first, to save time...

5. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

Daedalus was imprisoned by Minos because he built the Labyrinth, and Minos didn't want his knowledge of it getting out. After Icarus died, Daedalus escaped to Sicily and built a temple to Apollo. The main source is Ovid's Metamorphoses, and that has both the Icarus and Perdix stories. Perdix came first but we get the story after a partridge watches Icarus fall. You can get everything you need in book 8 of [url="http://classics.mit.edu/Ovid/metam.8.eighth.html]metamorphoses.[/url] The source for Daedalus in Sicily is Virgil's Aeneid. Before the Labyrinth, I don't think there is a consistent Daedalus story, although he is mentioned many times in Greek and Roman mythology as a great builder.

6. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

I did actually try Google first, but I couldn't find any decent sources.

Sidewinder, thank you profusely for the info about Metamorphoses, that'll really help me along with my research. I appreciate all the help, everyone. :D