1. Steve T

Steve T New Member

Would this do for a thiller?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Steve T, Jun 27, 2011.

I am planning my first ever novel and I thought a basic start. I just want some thoughts of the plot so far and if you would read it?

It's start with the mc having a phone call with a old friend. He thinks it's going to be a catch up but it's not. It's like he's getting attack and then breaths his last breath. His wife disppered. So, mc panics and go crazy. As what he hears from that phone call is asking where his wife is but before he's able to hear it, the so called attackers cut the cottention. It's a race against time. He has to find his wife before they do.

I know it's only a start and quite basic but at least it's a start. I just need a bit of help expending it and then if it sounds good.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It sounds fine, but you shouldn't ask for validation - write it if you want to. You're the sole master of your work.

What kind of help expanding? What do you feel stuck on?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I think your expansion problem is lying in humanity's inability to deal with time. If it's a race against time, then you need to make every minute count. If you can get a copy of Stephen King's The Running Man, perfect. It's set in a very short space of time, and every minute or hour is used perfectly.

For something like this, decide what the period of time in between him realising his wife is gone and finding his wife (or any other alternative) is.
    For example (and I stress that this is an example), let's say it takes him two days to find her. What you need to do is think of where he is in relation to where she is taken or where she goes or whatever. You need to figure out, first, how long it would take him to get there if he went in the shortest possible way.

You need to put in major plot points, then. He goes to his friend's house (the one he was on the phone with), maybe. He goes from there to other places or whatever.

After you've got all your plot points down, go through and write a more detailed outline consisting of the parts in between all those plot points. This outline should be hour by hour.

Really, the best thing for you to do, with a story like this, is to think about how long it actually takes you for you to do certain things. Find out how long it takes you for you to put down your phone and get to your car, or to hail a cab or something.

Good luck.

5. Steve T

Steve T New Member

I am stuck on finding a reason for the so called killers want to find out where the wife is.
    Thank you. Well I am going to get that book and I am going to read the last ten secords by Simon Kernick. That's is a race against time thiller. I think it should be in first person view