Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Energy addicts?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by jazzabel, Oct 22, 2014.

Designing wonderfully parasitic-looking jewelry, that is able to extract energy from your blood in order to power up the many devices we don't actually need, Israeli artist Naomi Kizhner explores the lengths humans are prepared to go to in search for resources.

She says her art is meant to make us reevaluate our personal relationship with technology. “I wanted to provoke the thought about how far will we go to in order to 'feed' our addiction in the world of declining resources."

What strikes me the most about the video, apart from the dystopian message, is the of is the exhaustion, the positive zombified appearance of the protagonist. The self-consuming nature of her pursuit.

Do you think this is an accurate metaphor? Are we 'addicted to energy'?

2. Russo

Russo Member

The entire time watching this, I could only say, "What?"

First of all, the way she "smoked" that cigarette annoyed the hell out of me. That aside, I wasn't even sure what I was watching. Parasitic-looking jewelry that sparks energy? Does this relate to one drinking coffee for that "couple of hours" adrenaline rush? Or have I misunderstood?

Unfortunately, I'm not even sure how to respond to this. I'm curious what others may say, I'm definitely watching this thread.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I came here thinking this was a discussion on caffeine. I was disappointed.

And I agree with Russo, I have no idea what this means.

Russo likes this.
  4. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

I found the video bewildering too. If this was a British 'artist', I'd be asking: "Is tax-payers money being spent on this?"

The technology market is full of companies seeking 'the next big thing' and trying to fill every conceivable gap. Most innovations fall by the wayside, so technology news doesn't represent the way people use technology, despite advertisers enthusiasm.

There is momentum in the market and currently we're seeing increasing complexity in mobile phones with apparently an 'ap' for everything. But this tide may turn and we could easily see people choosing to use simpler devices with more basic functions that they actually want. No doubt there'll be an 'ap' for that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.