Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

England smoke ban to start 1 July

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, May 15, 2007.

Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced.
    The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes.

It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April.

Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian".

From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises.

Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives.

The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m.

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Smoke ban 'threatens environment'

As campaigners cheer a total smoking ban, there are fears sending smokers outside will lead to a huge increase in greenhouse gas-emitting patio heaters.
    Labour MP Stephen Pound said when he visited Ireland recently - where a smoking ban is already in force - pub gardens were "covered" in the heaters.

Britain's greenhouse gas emissions are already up by 380,000 tonnes a year due to such devices, it is claimed.

Lib Dem Norman Baker advised smokers to "enjoy the bracing air" instead.

3. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

You can't make people stop smoking by forcing them outside, you idiots! D=

I don't go to pubs of clubs often but when I do I like to smoke while drinking. That'll probably be the most annoying thing about this ban for me... I will go to pubs less because I'll have to go outside every few minutes for a fag. xD

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

My state is getting a smoking ban pretty soon, too.

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Yeah! I love abolishing freedom!

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Yeah who needs freedom anyways!

I wonder what the next thing they are going to ban will be?

~Torana

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

(At the risk of provoking a storm of outrage)

Hurrah! At last there won't be clouds of noxious smoke everywhere I go.

8. Torana

That is very true, here in Australia it is far more pleasant to enter a bar that is smoke free.
    I have a friend who is a bar maid and she has actually noticed that regulars as well as non-regulars have dramatically cut down on the amount that they smoke whilst at the bars now.

Although it did cause the bar to be rather quiet for a few weeks, but it has also brought in a whole new range of customers (drinkers whatever you wish to call them).

It can be a positive, but also a negative for business and some peoples attitudes towards it.
    I see it from both perspectives as a smoker and a non smoker. It is a nuisance for a smoker, but a blessing for a non smoker.

Really it is a no win situation, as are many things these days. You do one thing to please one crowd, but it will always displease another. It is an endless cycle and I am afraid it always will be.

~Torana

9. Banzai

Do you personally smoke, Torana? I'm only asking because you seem unusually unbiased on the matter.

10. bicker

bicker Active Member

Its being done for the health of the bar staff.

11. Banzai

And everyone else. It's one of the many blights on modern civilzation. My personal opinion of course.

12. Torana

Yes I do smoke Banzai, but I don't think that it matters whether I smoke or not.

The simple matter is that either way people are going to benefit, but I say the pros of this happening far out way the cons...

~Torana

13. Banzai

I agree, it doesn't matter, I was just curious. And to be honest, I haven't come across many smokers who can see the benefits of the smoking ban at all. Then again, most of the people I know are terminally stupid... So perhaps it's that rather than because they smoke.

14. Torana

The main reason smokers are against this ban is because it causes them to have to get off their seat and walk outside to have a smoke.
    Where as before they would just simply light up and smoke away and still enjoy their drinks.

I guess the reason as to why I am unbiased is due to the fact that I do not smoke inside no matter where I go.

But other people do not share the same views as myself and I accept that. I dis-like smoking inside as others are bothered by it.

It all comes down to personal preference I guess.

~Torana

15. Banzai

Hurrah for you! :D If only more smokers were like you

16. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Personally, I think its about time they did ban smoking in public places. I don't like having to breathe in other people's smoke when they smoke around me and I don't think its fair that my health is affected because people like to smoke cancer sticks near me (Not meaning to cause any offence there...)

I do understand that people can argue that they're losing freedom, but should freedom that damage sthe health of others be allowed? Allowing smokers to smoke in public places takes away the freedom of those that aren't smoking because we've made a choice not to smoke but end up doing it anyway through passive smoking - the effects of which can be as bad, or worse.

Again... personal opinion and no offence intended.

17. Torana

No Kit you have made a very valid point there and I don't see how anyone could take what you have stated in offence.

I agree with you, smokers have to be conciderate of others, especially non-smokers.

I know that I smoke, but even I do not wish to be standing in a building where everyone is smoking, let alone a room that is full of people who are and aren't smoking.

You show a little bit of consideration and respect for others and it is amazing what happens...

~Torana

18. Alice in Wonderland

If someone asked me to not smoke near them, I wouldn't. :s Can't they just do that instead?

I hate it when I'm smoking outside with a friend of mind and a kid walks passed because then, apparently, I'm not allowed to smoke either. According to this friend anyway. D=

They are breaking a tradition that goes back further than when cigarettes were invented! *Kay maybe not that far* I wanna be ables to smoke n bars =( /selfish.

19. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I'm sort of glad that smoking is banned in pubs here in OZ. My eyes don't water and my throat doesn't get scratchy outside the flue season and my clothes don't reek... hang on, cancel the last thing... my clothes sometimes smell of ciggerettes because my parents have been smokers for thirty years+. I've been a passive smoker for nearly my whole live. I've turned out (moderatly!) okay. So far anyways.... I hate the smell I even tried smoking but the main reason why I didn't really like it was becuase my mouth always tasted like crap.. excuse language... a couple of my friends smoke and they are pretty good with being considerate of my choices.

I also hear that they are going to stop smokes appearing in films!

20. Alice in Wonderland

That's just stupid. D= How can you accurately represent something if you have everyone in a film as a none smoker. Don Corleone wouldn't be as cool if he didn't smoke a cigar! No mafia man would!

21. Vivienne Crow

Vivienne Crow New Member

.a.double.edged.sword.

I can understand where you are coming from AIW, smoking in films sometimes is a must because of the personality of the female and/or character. But I think it's a good idea for film makers to stop showing the brand names of the cigarette packs. It's amazing how not showing a pack of cigarette's will stop someone smoking.

.a.better.live.for.a.better.world.

In Aus they have placed gray shutters over a majority of the packs of cigarettes on display and we're only allowed to show one metre by one metre. And we cant show sale items either. Those regulations came in about 8-12 months ago. And soon even that will change so that no cigarette's will be on display at all.

As a non-smoke I believe these new regulations and bans are better for everyone. I know that it is taking away something from the smokers, but I'm afraid I dont have any sympothy, as it's your choice to play Russian Roulet with your life, but I'd rather not. I don't want to be offensive or anything but after living for six months in a shut up house in Canada with my fiance and his chain smoking parents, I detest anything to do with smoking. Especially since the whole time I was over there I got headaches and a scratchy throat constantly, and when I came home I had to wash my entire wardrobe as it all reaked of cigarette smoke.

.joy.to.the.world.

These bans work well for smokers, and some non-smokers as it gives them a choose to stop smoking or have the hassle of leaving everytime they want to. I know it's cruel to the smokers to put them out like this, but they do it to us non-smokers everytime they light up in front of us or around us. And Alice in Wonderland, you may be happy to walk away if someone asks you but alot of smokers aren't like you, they wont move and they will make a big deal about.

I'm actually quite surprised my mother hasn't gotten cancer from working nearly her whole live in pubs. Not anymore though.

xxFrostyxx

22. Alice in Wonderland

I guess it's a good point that it will protect the workers that have to stay in that environment for so many hours every day. But standing next to a smoker for a few minutes a week isn't going to give you cancer. >.<

I don't know why I'm arguing this any more. xD I don't even go out much anyway and I don't smoke when I do go out unless I go with my fiance as he is in charge of the tobbacco that I buy!!

I guess perhaps its a good idea, although a lot of people will resent the change in their daily smoker lives, because everyone gets what they want. Smokers still get to smoke and non smokers don't have to be in a smokey atmosphere. ^^