Tags:
  1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

What is the worst Charcter Cliches you can possibly name?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Jul 23, 2011.

With all the Charcter cliches out there, i wanna know what is the worst ones. Like the ones where you see the exact same charcter traits in crappy movies, games, and novels that are poorly written.

2. Heather

Heather New Member

Every character trait is somewhat cliched, because they have all been done so much. The blonde haired, blue eyed girl is cliche as it has been done so many times. But then so has the dark-haired, dark eyed pretty girl - many novels/films have done that. But then so is the shy, geeky girl who becomes pretty at the end . . . . the list can go on.

I don't think any trait is cliche, it is about how the writer writes about it that makes it cliche. You could have the most cliched sounding character, but if you write about them in an origional way, or a way which keeps the audience/reader entertained, then it doesn't really matter.

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Yeah, this is very true. Cliches are only cliches if you copy them right off the bat.

Generally, for me, though, I tend to think that each genre (loosely defined) has its trademark cliches that are overdone or, even if they're not overdone, people are so used to seeing them that it's difficult to pull them off with originality. For instance:

- Fantasy: orphan farm kid is the secret heir to some throne or inheritence; elves, dwarves, and dragons; MAGGGIICCCC
    - Sci-Fi: Alien races look humanoid, except for some weird few, if any
    - Harem (genre in anime, in case you were wondering): Main male character is either a loser or just plain average yet all the girls fall in love with him

And so on. Yet there are some stories (not any I can think off the top of my head) that take these generally overused characters, plotlines, settings, and so forth, and still make them interesting and engaging. It's a mistake, in my opinion, to try to avoid cliches altogether - they'll probably pop up here and there, but that's not really an issue; the issue thus is not whether something has or has not been already done, but whether it is a lazy rip-off of something earlier, or whether it is an original spin on it.

4. Kaye00

Kaye00 New Member

I don't mind the 'pretty blonde, blue eyed girl' or 'pretty brunette with brown eyes', because plenty of those people do exist in real life. Same with most beauty cliches, even the 'shy girl who becomes pretty' cliche. It is annoying, but a lot of girls really do cover up their own beauty like that. So, I can at least ignore those.

What I hate are the typical 'bad ass chick', the one that's there solely to laugh at the male characters as they prove how they don't need their help. I especially dislike it when they do the 'oh, but inside she vulnerable, by giving her that one thing she's self conscious about, or afraid of, ect. I usually find this is prevalent on TV and in movies...

I just wish they would write female characters as a character first and not just another woman. It's ok if they're strong women, but when they're stereotypically so, it's annoying.

5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

The character who is constantly bold, heroic etc with never a dull moment, and his (because it's usually the main guy) only flaws are that he's "quick to temper, but only gets angry for a cause he believes in and the anger gives him the fuel he needs." You know, the typical fiery but passionate Gary Stu.

1 person likes this.
  6. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Seconding what Mallory said SO HARD. Especially if he's a pure-hearted underdog who always comes out on top, every single time - the typical shonen anime hero-guy.

Also, this is mainly in kids' movies/shows, but the comic relief fat kid whose main purpose is to eat and provide fat jokes. That's just so many levels of wrong.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mallory

Bahahaha I'd never noticed that one (fat kid), but now that you point it out, it is pretty relevant.

Anything involving a "chosen one." Sorry but i HATE stories where the protag is only in the hero's seat because of a band of elders 1000s of years ago who created some prophecy that specifies him. People create their own circumstances, at least they should. My heroes always step to the plate themselves ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I have to ask but why?
    it's not a stereotype, most "strong powerful" pepole who do what you said tend to have one or two things
    also all pepole are vulnerable inside

I really don't get how you can say the pretty girls are okay cause thet are realy yet not like this, when they to are real

plus just havuing a powerful girl would be well bad... evrey carcther needs a negtive

1 person likes this.
  9. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

The super-like-hot-like-oh-like-my-like-my-god girl who is bossy, snarky, sarcastic, and snappy. Done to death by television. See: Covert Affairs, Fairly Legal. However, I like Neccessay Roughness's lead.
    Any misanthrope who refuses to admit s/he is not perfect. Not exactly an enthralling character since everybody lies. (I love House)
    The Chosen One. A story I read recently subverted it, which I enjoyed. Later it played it straight, which made me give up on the series. I never bought into the idea of fates or prophecies. Yay for plot devices!

1 person likes this.
  10. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The "Badass chick" really is the most annoying thing, and it makes me not want to watch the show.

Also though, any fantasy book you read. As someone else mentioned, the "Orphan who is the chosen one", that is dead from overuse. The kicker is when they ask their 'mentor', "But why me?".

I also think any show involving superpowers could use a little more originality. (Not that there's much left to be had.) It seems that any time anyone finds themselves with powers, there's one with super-human strength (Usually the protagonist), then there's one with super speed. (Friend/relative of protagonist and/or anti-hero.)

11. Mallory

^ Or the ones where there's four characters with powers, and each one has the powers of the four natural elements (air/fire/earth/water)

12. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Haha, true, true :)

1 person likes this.
  13. Mallory

Or the seven deadly sin archetypes.

14. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Or how about the stereotype in ALL TV shows and movies, where anyone who has the slightest hint of intelligence or computer knowledge will have glasses. (And be a shut in geek that's socially awkward in all interactions.)

15. Rikku Harmony

Rikku Harmony New Member

Prince Charming is as cliche as they come. Seriously. Even when he isn't drawing out his sword and sweeping up a beautiful blonde princess on his noble white steed, his loyalty and dashing good looks arestill blatant and, frankly, well overplayed.

16. Mallory

^ that and the pouty, incompetent damsel in distress. ew. (Especially being the feminist that I am, lol)

17. ScaryMonster

ScaryMonster Active Member

I'd say the surly old coot with a heart of gold, and this goes for the whore or madam with a heart of gold.
    Also everyone who uses ripped off Dickens character stereotypes, they've been rehashed since the 19th century. And frankly I think they should apologize especially J. K. Rowling.
    Shame on you Jo.

18. Mallory

Hahahaaaaa. :) True that.

The little girl who disguises herself as a little boy because it's back in the olden days when girls weren't able to do certain things, but at the very end, she gets found out. However, she's still able to stay in said activity (sports contest, pirate ship) and beats the crap out of all the boys.

I've read like 5 stories that follow that exact scenario.

19. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

And dwarves lives in the mountains, elves in the forest. Why can't there be dwarven fishermen? Why can't elves live in the mountain? And why are either race the minority, and humans always the majority?

And if there is a race that's very different from humans in apperance, they are obviously the villains. True, the more similar you look to another species, the more likely you are to have a similar way of thinking. I mean monkeys and apes use tools, but I have yet to see a dog use a canopener. But the dog is still man's best friend, right?

Other things I hate:
    - the drunk expert police detective, usually with broken marriage.
    - people about to retire, but accepts one last job.
    - writers waiting for inspiration for their breakthrough novel, then using the experiences in the book to write a best-seller. (usually in horror, for some reason. (You wrote a book about a few people figthting a big monster, some vampires, a couple of aliens and Freddy Krueger? And it's based on a true story? Riiiiiight...) :p

20. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

^This

Except Mulan, because Mulan was wicked. I don't care what anyone says.

Also, on the whole "badass chick" thing, it only bugs me if it's constantly crammed it down everybody's throats about how she's a woman and can beat up men. A cute girl shooting people up in a tank top and short-shorts is awesome and everything, but a character's most pronounced trait shouldn't be their gender, or their defiance of gender roles.

21. Jonathan22

Jonathan22 New Member

the 'old mentor with a dark past who dies protecting the protagonist but still comes to help them in visions/dreams etc' and along those lines is annoyingly over played. Even just the old mentor who dies bit!

22. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Not to mention the master who refuses to help the student, even when said student (and often several others) are in great danger. Obi-Wan was a great exception. Not so sure about Yoda, though.

23. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

The super-competent guy. Tall, wise, with his cloak (or in more modern books, his duster or his trenchcoat) rippling in the wind, as he stares off in the distance with handsome or craggy but oddly handsome face. Modest about his capabilities, but he just happens to never, ever fail at anything whatsoever, and everyone is always comforted by his advice and his mere presence.

Bleah.

24. Rikku Harmony

Rikku Harmony New Member

The two girls who are completely opposite on a social scale but are forced to work together due to unusual circumstances and discover they are exactly alike on the inside and become best friends. Yuck.

25. Jonathan22

Jonathan22 New Member

The bad guy who is just so unmotivatedly... bad!