1. AxleMAshcraft

AxleMAshcraft New Member

Epic Clash Of Good and Evil!!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AxleMAshcraft, Feb 6, 2011.

Ok, so the title is a little dramatic. But here is what I was hoping all of you might help me with:
    I'm writing a fight scene between a skinny English lad and a huge (!!!) Irish man and English ladd-y isn't winning. (English lad's name is Travis, just FYI and this is all set roughly in the late 1800s in Ireland after the potato famine/blight). The background details are spotty (mostly because I'm still writing them and have little to know idea where I'm going with it) but here is what I have: Travis' dad died and through a long string of rather unfortunate events and some bad-luck, Travis, a native of London, ended up in the farmlands of Ireland. He meets a girl who is indirectly a love interest that never works out (the assignment is for an eight page short story, so I'm going to leave people wondering about that). Penniless, out of his comfort-zone, in a weird, different country good ol' Trav has no means of getting money...or so we thought, and then the plot thickens, Travis used to prize fight (ring, bets, the whole nine yards) so our beloved skinny little English lad is thrown into a fight with the biggest these back-hills of Ireland has to offer.
    So long story short here is what I need:
    Actions, reactions, affects, fight scenes, thought processes (I'm writing First Person from Travis), research that other people have used, website links, youtube videos, pretty much anything for me to boost this fight scene through the roof!!!
    Help?

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Google - bare knuckle fighting.

Under the link - boxing fight videos, I found one headed:

The Fighting Irish - Bare Knuckle Boxing -Hard As F---.

I think you should find what you're looking for there.

3. AxleMAshcraft

AxleMAshcraft New Member

WOAH! Thanks! Geez, have you watched any of these? They are super intense!

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

The basics of a fight scene are to write what is being felt, rather than what is being done. Remember all the senses, facial expressions etc