1. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

Essay Section?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Jaclyn, May 25, 2007.

Of course, being that I'm still pretty much a novice here, I definitely have no idea whether this topic has been brought up before. But I'm way too unmotivated to go all the way back to page one and hunt for it like a madwomen!

Okay,

I think their should be an essay section in these forms.

Essays are a big part of the writing life - most of our favourite authors were essayists as well.

Also, since the critics are so unbelievable special at what they do here the section would be a wonderful way to improve upon your paper if it just so happens to be an assignment.

Please lend me your insights.

(Hopefully this idea has not already been turned down.)

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    We have a nonfiction section, which may or may not fulfill that request...

3. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

I agree that would be most helpful to the younger members.

4. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

The only non-fiction section I could find was located in the short stories section?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you're right... it's a silly place to stick the entire non-fiction classification, none of which would be 'short stories'...

i agree that there should definitely be a separate 'forum' for all non-fiction, under 'the review room' umbrella, just as there is for poetry, lyrics and scripts... things here are not as well-arranged as they could/should be... go take a look at wf.com to see how it's done...

6. Raven

Raven Banned

hence the reason Daniel Lpspider has a suggestions forum or you could PM Daniel your queries. Sorry but if you don't ask you wont get a response.

~Raven.

7. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

That's a little confusing, this is the suggestions forum...and people were asking (or at least telling us) what they want lol. However, I agree that members can PM Daniel with any queries if necessary...

8. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Okay, so basically instead of having a subforum for non-fiction under short stories we want it to be "up a level" and be it's own section, correct?

9. mammamaia

right!... especially since non-fiction can't qualify for being included in 'short stories'...

10. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

I too think this would be a good idea.

Another section in non-fiction writing called "essay."

But here is the irony: essays are really the individuals opinion passing off as fact. But still, it would be neat for an essay classification, don't you think?

11. Daniel

MM, it was originally intended to be nonfiction short stories, but I do realize that there's also nonfiction that isn't only short stories. I'll go ahead and move it and also add an essay's subforum to it.

12. Daniel

Added and moved.

Thanks,

13. mammamaia

if they're non-fiction, they wouldn't be called 'short stories'... they'd be 'personal anecdotes' or 'essays' or just plain, covers-all, 'non-fiction'...

the term 'short stories' refers only to fiction, in the literary world... which is why it's confusing when you add non-fiction in with that category...

thanks for making the change...
    hugs, mm

14. Daniel

Technically, I'm sure you're right. However, just because something technically is correct doesn't mean that's the popular way of doing it. I've never seen a category for short non-fiction works referred to as "personal anecdotes." I've always seen it as non-fiction short stories.

15. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I am in agreement with you on this one Lp, I have never seen it referred to as 'personal anecdotes' or 'essays', only ever non-fiction.
    But I do think that moving it was a good idea, makes it easier for people to find really.

~Torana

16. mammamaia

and i've only ever seen such referred to as 'non-fiction'... i've never seen any other writer's site that listed it as 'non-fiction short stories'... or seen any non-fiction included in a short story or any other fiction category...

i just mentioned the anecdotes thing as it's what a 'short story'-like piece of work would commonly be called in the publishing world, if it's non-fiction...

but that's just one type of non-fiction... 'essays' are another... as are 'articles'... so, the new category will now give us a place to separate all the non-fiction from the fiction... for which i'm grateful to our admin for adding it...