Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Grid101

Dr.Grid101 New Member

What would do in this Scenario?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Dr.Grid101, Jul 31, 2011.

What would you do in this Scenario?

Hey guys,

I have small plot scenario problem to figure out and i wanted to ask you guys how you would react towards this turn of event's? or how would you go about putting your character though this situation.

So you some friends an some local kids go out to a large location on the far outskirts, know by most people in your group for having the best spots for paint balling or any type of fun including non-lethal weapons an such.This place is sort of secluded as their are no paved roads leading towards the site nor are their any buildings in the immediate area and as far as you know their is nothing to worry about and you begin the match with battle equipment on and everything.An nothing seems to be going wrong the sun is shinning an stuff, people are having fun but soon things get quickly out of control as live ammunition is zooming passed in all directions seemingly out of nowhere and theirs nothing but dense forests an you plus the hole gang cruelly having to come to terms that this not a game anymore....

So what you do?

2. another wasted day

another wasted day Member

I guess I would try to run as far as possible. If that somehow wasn't an option, hide. Those aren't at all original but I'm not sure what else a person without weapons to fight back would do.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I wait for the AUTHOR to finish the story. Really.

Coming up with an opening scenario is easy. Following through and building to a finish is what takes practice, and requires you to exercise your imagination. But that is also what makes it rewarding.

Keep it YOUR story.

4. Dr.Grid101

Dr.Grid101 New Member

Another_wasted Day: I'd expect that lol

This more of a feedback thing as it's not even a story yet an it will most likely change . This a scenario question of what a regular person would do since their not that many cases out their that deal with this kind thing happening as far as i know.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, as it was posted in Plot Creation, it certainly looks like you are asking people to complete your story for you.

Don't cheat yourself out of the experience of building a story on your own, from beginning to end.

6. Dr.Grid101

Dr.Grid101 New Member

Cogito:

It's more of insight thing then that of asking them to finish my story for me which is not what am doing at all. But i see what your saying on the other hand this more of a reporter going out on to the field and asking a question to a board full of creative minds who are welling to express their knowledge on the subject if any then i move on to the next venue asking the same question and like i said before this meant never be apart of my plot in the long run an if it would have been then i wouldn't have posted this questioned scenario to the creative machine that is the internet...thank you

7. Ralinde

Ralinde New Member

Yes, no I understand as I have discovered the same sort of impass when asking others on the site so I respect that more than likely, this question was posed as a way to help you generate ideas about the scenario by bouncing them off others. I don't mind helping out in that case.

I depends on the characters in this scenario more than anything. How many are there? Who's out for only themselves? Who has a hero complex and tries to help others only to be shot down? If I were personally in the scenario my first instinct would probably be to help those who were shot and if I could do something for them, try to help them flee to safety with me. If I felt like there was too much ammunition in the air though and I was too scared to run, I'd try to find cover like in a thick clump of brush or to climb a tree and hope I was covered while relying on the fact that most people never look up.

Hope that helps. Most people will react in two ways in any case: they will flee or they will hide. The rare person however, may fight back.

8. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Fight back, because no one wants to read a story about a group of people running :p So have them fight their way out!

9. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

While it completely depends on the characters and numbers involved, I would say the smartest move is to hide. It is a thick forest after all and hiding may prove useful for an ambush to take away an actual weapon.

10. Dr.Grid101

Dr.Grid101 New Member

bump

11. The_NeverPen

The_NeverPen Member

Who is shooting the live ammo? I get the impression that it's coming from no where. Do we know where the weapons fire is coming from? Has anyone tried to communicate? And what is this live ammo? Are we suddenly seeing bullet holes? RPG's flying through the air? Tracer rounds? Lasers? Did someone get hit?

One scene will follow from the other. The more you describe what's happening, the easier it will be to see what happens next. People will panic, people will try to take control of the situation, people will give up completely.

I myself hate paint ball. I wouldn't be there in the first place.

Or wood eye....?

12. Dr.Grid101

Dr.Grid101 New Member

The approach am taking is a mixture of two conflicts dealing with how and why anyone would shoot live ammunition at someone on random much less a bunch of teenagers .But theirs a twist there that could work out who and what is shooting at them because in my mind it's not just one person/thing attacking them it's much more complicated then that by long shot .An for the ammunition that's something that has to be work out because it's either futuristic ammunition (No Lasers) or current ammunition an that probable going to become something new altogether.

As for the air raid option that will most likely happen if they even get out of the dense area that they find is somehow endless maybe who knows.

Communication is going haywire theirs no signal for some strange reason.

13. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'd run. But be careful with that - that'd be the initial reaction - but after that you gotta give them some hint and some motivation to find out what the heck is going on and fight back (especially once they realise they can't escape).

How about you go and watch Predators? The new one with Adrian Brody. Isn't that the same story you're trying to write? Bunch of guys get put into a "game" reserve and get hunted by predators. I didn't watch it because I get too scared by horrors but I hear it's good.

14. Dr.Grid101

Dr.Grid101 New Member

"I'd run. But be careful with that - that's be the initial reaction - but after that you gotta give them some hint and some motivation to find out what the heck is going on and fight back (especially once they realize they can't escape).

How about you go and watch Predators? The new one with Adrian Brody. Isn't that the same story you're trying to write? Bunch of guys get put into a "game" reserve and get hunted by predators. I didn't watch it because I get too scared by horrors but I hear it's good."

-----------------------------------------
    (The New Predator movie was pretty good not that much blood though (To me anyways)...you should check it out)

I was thinking of going that route kind of, but i deiced against that even though it well have that feel to it over all in a very piratical moments. But this is not their finally resting place (Even though they think it is) for the few who are lucky enough to stay alive, thus it transforms.

Into a bizarre journey on boarder scale, then that of just alien predators cloaking in and out of sight an then finally killing their game an till their all dead before getting killed by the hero;Not my take on this, it takes elements of many different genres an themes all warped in a nice package (Hopefully it will).

Also this is going to explore a lot more about what they just step into not only in their current situation but also finding out later that a much deeper hole of unexplained, confusing, an strange obstacles lay ahead.Some good other more cruel then the next ,but this meant not transpire if no one survives their unknown attacks deathtrap...i mean their just regular kids.

(Also i work out a few rough story outlines beginning/middle/ending an a few other scenarios nonetheless everything is at a bare-bones stage but a few nagging things if you please)

A Few Questions
    -------
    1. What kind of trauma can effect a person going through a deadly scenario like experience?-Would it be similar to a soldiers trauma if any or much worse?

2. How can these events Affect a group of otherwise young friends?

3 .Would this bring out the dormant darker side's of most peoples emotions an long held black mentalities?

4. Also most people wouldn't normally know what to do expect or do unless their train military personal or other so it would be like a deer in head lights effect for a few moments right?

5. Finally would this be in the realms of impossible, imposable or possible in real life?

Thank you,

15. westofthemoon

westofthemoon New Member

I guess I agree with the "hide" suggestion, and I definitely think it does depend on what type of people your characters are--as some of the members have already said. But if you don't quite have that particular aspect cemented, maybe create some of the "victim" characters as survivalists. Maybe one's dad is an inveterate hunter and does everything old-school, so he knows how to make some crazy snares or trapping pits or some other kinds of trapping mechanisms. Maybe another is in ROTC or something like that, so he has a handle on stressful situations and can be the leader that the others rally around.

Survival stories are awesome...good luck!!

16. Dr.Grid101

Dr.Grid101 New Member

Westofthemoon

I love survivals stories as well

17. Marranda

Marranda New Member

westofthemoon:: good points!

If it were just me and some friends (no family or spouse or children), self-preservation would be first and foremost. run/climb/dig and hide Hide HIDE! Wait it out and hope whoever is shooting moves on without doing too deep of a search for survivors before leaving my hidy-hole/branch/whatever and looking for my friends and/or just leaving.

If family, or my husband, or son were there? Self-sacrifice would be my first reaction-- while trying to run/climb/dig and hide. Unless that family member were more self-sufficient and could hide well enough on their own. If it were my son, I'd be the human shield for him until we got to safety, or to keep him safe in general.

I can't say anything about this regarding my own characters since none of them participate in the kind of activities that have them out in the brush/woods/fields... they're all city grown and bred.

18. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Bumping your own thread is explicitly against the forum rules. And it is annoying (which is probably why it is against the rules).

It doesn't matter what any of us would do in that situation. What matters is what the characters you are writing about would do - what is consistent for them, or what brings them to a point where they'll do something that isn't consistent.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dr.Grid101

Dr.Grid101 New Member

Thanks for you input Steerpike, Marranda

20. Marranda

Marranda New Member

... Instead of giving Bumps, you can always give +rep. It's generally much more appreciated :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.