1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Ever had a story you are not sure you want to write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Elgaisma, Nov 26, 2010.

My NaNo has been going so well and I am about halfway though - however I now know exactly where my story is going. Not a place I intended when I started it was supposed to be a light fuzzy humourous story a break from a deep dark one I have just written

This one has taken several new twists and is even darker than the last one. The end I have planned is scaring me a little - it is incredibly poweful the idea of doing it first person worries me. Right now tempted to slip into third person.

Anyone else felt so emotionally bowlled over by a story they are not sure they should write it?

2. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

All the time, with everything I write. But I've had stories I didn't write cause I was basically not sure I wanted to go there.

(BTW, you got my curiosity piqued for your story now.)

3. Elgaisma

I am so sure I don't wanna go there lol however also know it is one hell of a story and the story is now 60K in and is going in that direction whether I like it or not. Downside of never planning a story - my YA element is no longer YA lol

EDIT: I have written stories where I have cried my eyes out doing it think this one is gonna make me ill. I think maybe for that one chapter may need to make it third person.

4. Show

^^^^Have you considered that because it is having such an effect on you that maybe it's good and will have an equally powerful effect on the readers? They may not like it but they might tend to remember it more. We always do remember the stories that dared to make us uncomfortable rather than the ones who just played it safe.

5. Elgaisma

I know that is precisely why - I knew when I wrote the story of my MCs childhood and cried all the way through it was because it was powerful stuff it still isn't perfect.

Part of it is because of the first person in addition to the present tense - what my character actually has to do is what myself and the reader experience in real time.

It is a blinder of a story - I know that ... I know I need to write it but it is not the story I set out to write lol When I introduced the children they were intended as comic relief.

6. Elgaisma

double night

7. Show

Ah, stories that take on a life of their own. I started a oneshot about a family who goes to the beach and got a 3-novel and counting crime series out of it. lol Sometimes stuff we never intend to happen happens anyway.

8. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Elg, write it!!!

I wish I had my ending fleshed out enough to where it could scare me! :D

9. Elgaisma

Have written it after a weekend of hell doing it - I kept it skeleton, couldn't face writing full on and then rewriting it again. It was as awful to do as I thought but I am pleased with it it has pulled the threads of the story together so well - given relevance and depth to the comedy part. It is the only time I have regretted first person though.

That is the first draft of this novel finished

10. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

I'm being way too hard on some of my favourite characters in my own current story and felt like changing it many times. Writing it feels like kicking a favourite puppy in the face. But if I changed it there would be no story. Story comes first.

11. Elgaisma

It wasn't so much my character I was worried about with this one it was me lol I have made him do something terrible something that will change is character forever- he had a happy ending though.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

No.

I've written stories that I've not shown others or only shown only a select few for fear of how the story would be received because of content.

13. Arra

Arra New Member

I have a story atm that I'm not so sure about... everytime I think about it seems like a good idea, but then I think... wait... would people really read this? Not to mention the writers block that NEVER GOES AWAY :(

14. Elgaisma

That is interesting - I wasn't even thinking about readers lol - I haven't got to the stage of sharing it with anyone else.

Actually I think the reverse whilst it is harrowing will actually make the story the best it can be from a reader point of view, I knew that when I had the idea. It has made for a story that has humour, edge and an oh my is this really happening incident. All is good for a reader.

Purely selfishly I didn't want to write it from an emotional point of view.

15. Newfable

Newfable Senior Member

The stories that hit their writers the hardest are the best stories to be told, I think. There's been a few times when I wrote something and was either driven to tears or intense anger. Those are stories worth pursuing.

16. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

Heh, no, but I have got pretty emotional sometimes... One time I yelled at my mum because she happened to be trying to talk to me while I was writing an intense argument... Felt so guilty. I never normally yell.

Sometimes I get a bit hesitant and take a few days to write something, but it's mostly just about psyching myself up to do it. I never really feel reluctance to write - just sometimes it takes a bit of extra courage to do it, because I'm not sure how it's going to pan out, and if it could emotionally get to me. Writing about certain issues is a problem because I WANT to write them since they relate to my life, but I'm never sure how I'll end up coping with the issues, since I tend not to think to deeply about a lot of things, until they come up in my writing.

17. Jones6192

Jones6192 Member

You really ought to show us some of your stuff. We might be able to help you better, with a better idea of the story.

18. Elgaisma

Trouble is this has gone from something I wrote for fun to give my character and I a break to something I actually think deserves to be properly edited and I want to try and get it published. This is the big scene - the oh my is that happening moment of the book. I think giving away what happens may harm my chances of that.

If anyone wants to comment further I am happy to send what is right now the very rough scene.

It was only ever meant to be a humourous NaNo - it took on a life of its own as do all my stories. I knew the moment my character just accepted it, didn't argue against it, we were going ahead with it lol

19. Show

You're done? Can I see the scenes we talked about?

20. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

The other month, I worked on an idea that made me very uncomfortable. It revolved around confronting a sympathetic character with things in her past she was not proud of.

21. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Haven't experienced that feeling, Elg, for an entire novel idea, but I have definitely experienced it in individual scenes (most of which I haven't shown anybody lol)

22. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

In two of my novels, the main character dies. In both cases, I knew I was going to write it and waited until everyone was out of the house for an extended period of time so that I could write it, and both times I cried.

23. Elgaisma

You know what with this one if the MC had died it would have been easier lol