1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Everything you need to know about writing - in ten minutes

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Steerpike, Dec 11, 2015.

According to Stephen King. It's worth a read.

Regarding "talent:"

http://www.aerogrammestudio.com/2015/02/24/stephen-king-everything-you-need-to-know-about-writing-successfully/

Jeff Countryman and 123456789 like this.
  2. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Lots of really sound advice. I find myself agreeing with the vast majority of it.

I especially like the bit you quoted above about talent.

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

So for a first novel I should query directly to the publisher and not an agent?

4. Steerpike

I certainly would consider it if the publisher in question takes unagented submissions. If they don't, it seems like a pointless thing to do. Though maybe publishers who require agents will respond to queries regardless, I don't know. If they do, and the response to the query was favorable, that might help in landing an agent.

5. Jones

Jones My body is ready

A lot of the publishers I researched wouldn't take queries from unrepresented authors. Some do. But I think the ones who do take unrepresented work probably put those into a different pile than the ones vetted by agents.

King was from a different time, as evidence by his belief that agents take 10%. 15 is the new standard.

6. Steerpike

Except in rare circumstances, I don't know that an agent is doing you a lot of good these days. Except of course for markets that require them. King also writers horror, and the big name publishers in horror, science fiction, and fantasy do take unagented novel submissions, I believe. At least, many of them do. For general fiction it may be a different story.

7. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

This is one of the things I don't necessarily agree with, though as I've not begun the process of shopping my works around, I really can't have much of an opinion on the subject.

Keep in mind, also, that this was originally written/published in the 80's and that the publishing landscape has likely changed a lot since then.