Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

Execution order for being black - by a judge!

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by erebh, Nov 23, 2013.

Duane Buck in 1995 murdered his girlfriend and a guy he suspected of sleeping with her. He also shot his 14 year old sister in the chest (she survived) as she climbed on his back to save her mother. This "maybe" enough to execute the guy if you believe in the death penalty. However, on his recent appeal, the judging panel of 9 voted 6-3 for his lethal injection on the grounds he is black and his race suggests he will kill again.

How is the world not totally up in arms? Is this the most racist bizarre thing anyone has ever heard?

And all this from a Texan Judicial Committee. Apparently figures suggest black people in Harris County, Texas, who commit the same crimes as white people are three times more likely to be executed.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Link?

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Is the fact that he's black the only reason the judging panel voted that way? I find that a bit hard to believe.

4. Steerpike

Me too, which is why I wanted a link. I usually don't ask for those. If a judicial panel really did say they were going to execute him because he was black and that means he'll kill again, I'll be very surprised (and his lawyers should be screaming to every media outlet, in addition to appealing).

5. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

Truth being stranger that fiction would suggest this to be true. Just Google Duane Buck and you will find several hits on this. Here is an excerpt from one of them;

The problem with Buck’s case is this: During the penalty phase of the trial, Harris County prosecutors benefitted from the testimony of controversial psychologist Walter Quijano.

Asked in open court if “the race factor, black” increased Buck’s risk of reoffending, Quijano answered “yes.” The so-called expert went on to testify that being either African American or Latino “increases the future dangerousness for various complicated reasons.”

In Texas, “future dangerousness” is one of the key factors in determining whether a person is eligible for capital punishment. By allowing Quijano’s testimony to stand, Harris County has established that race can be used as a significant justification for meting out the death penalty.

“This is a flagrant use of race in a capital case,” says Christina Swarns, Director of the Criminal Justice Practiceat the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.We litigate race cases all the time, and you just don’t see this explicit pandering to racial fear.”

6. erebh

7. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I don't really have anything erudite of value to add to this other than: that is some fucked up shit. o_O

8. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

This certainly is disturbing, but I see that the NAACP is aware of the case and is somehow involved. Surely they are media savvy and know how to raise awareness of this sort of thing. I do wonder why the ACLU has not weighed in, or offered to assist on the appeal. I am puzzled by the lack of national recognition this has spawned, as it certainly is something that should be very big in the news.

There must be more to the story than is apparent from the article.

9. erebh

What else could there be? And you're right - why is there not more publicity?
    We're not stupid enough to think racism doesn't exist and I'm sure there are plenty of people in power with such views but how can they get away with admitting it? "Fuck it he's black - kill him!" Why are they so out-there and up-front about it? Why didn't they just say, "He's an asshole who did bad things - let him fry!" without saying it's because he's black?

I am just completely freaked out about this. Such blatant racism from the halls of power and barely a word...

10. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Welcome to it, bro. We raise hell over nothing and nothing over hell. o_O

11. Steerpike

The testimony of one expert is only a small portion of what goes on, so @chicagoliz is right, there's much more to the case than that. However, that the judge allowed that line of testimony to begin with is a problem, in my opinion.

12. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

Don't let this post be a representation of my true feelings, but since we are in the debate room....

Why would it be incredulous to use statistics to predict an outcome and influence your decision? We do it all the time. We seem to drop all of our science and logic when it comes to human matters. If it has been repeatedly shown that certain groups of people in the Houston area repeat a pattern on a regular basis, why could you not use that statistic (or stereotype) coupled with other testimonies?

JJ_Maxx likes this.
  13. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

From what little information is publically available, and it is very little, his death sentence has withstood the scrutiny of approximately 23 state and federal judges over an 18-year period, including the U.S. Supreme Court.

So far I haven't found any links that come close to any official court transcripts or documents. If anyone could find any documents, that would be helpful. We need to know all the facts before coming to any conclusions.

That being said, even if race was used as a miniscule percentage of the reasoning for his sentence, it wouldn't change the fact that he is 100% guilty of murdering people in cold blood. So he may get some kind of moral victory, but it would be short-lived as the chemicals enter his arm.

Here is the account of the murders from one of the victim's sister:

Taking a closer look at the sentencing criteria in Texas? Possibly.

Having sympathy or letting a guilty murderer go free? Not a question.

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

That's not what this thread is about, though. Sure, he's guilty. But the issue is, is his race a relevant factor in deciding whether or not to execute him.

15. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

In erebh's post, he said his acts "maybe" [sic] enough to execute him. I was partially referring to that comment.

However, I have a severe issue with some of the facts and verbiage used in the initial post. Far from objective, it is gratuitous in its sensationalism.

16. chicagoliz

Because we don't convict or punish someone based on statistics. We use specific evidence.

17. erebh

look - not biting!

TessaT and 123456789 like this.
  18. DPVP

DPVP Active Member

he admitted his guilt, why haven't we executed him yet? reading between the lines it seems like one small part of the case that commented on statistics and race. taking race of the table, someone like that should be punished to the fullest extent the law provides.

JJ_Maxx likes this.
  19. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Agreed. What it seems, from the facts we have, is that an inadmissible question was asked of the psychologist, but that it had no bearing on his guilt or his sentence of death.

20. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Then why do we put tracking bracelets on sex offenders and breathalyzer tests in cars for people who drive drunk? Aren't we punishing them because that group of people are more likely to be repeat offenders?

21. chicagoliz

Because having engaged in a behavior, such as repeatedly driving drunk is a tie to a specific person who engaged in that behavior. Everyone who drives drunk gets the bracelet. If they just said Hispanics who drive drunk are likely to do it again, and therefore some people who engage in the behavior don't get the bracelet (non-Hispanics) but Hispanics do, then we're not tying it to something the person can control.

123456789 likes this.
  22. thirdwind

Because the color of your skin does not cause you to commit a crime.

123456789 likes this.
  23. Garball

skin color can create a culture and a culture can create stereotypical behaviors

24. thirdwind

So then maybe we should look for the culture and stereotypical behavior associated with people with blue eyes.

25. Garball

is there one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.