1. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Contributing Member

Exercising before Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by DvnMrtn, Feb 21, 2010.

Does anyone else here workout before sitting down for a writing session? I find doing some cardio, weights, maybe even some martial arts, followed by a shower and a cup of coffee is the best way to prepare myself for writing.

2. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost Contributing Member

I don't exercise right before writing, but I do exercise in the morning before I have a shower and a coffee. I brainstorm for writing on the city bus, and then write for an hour before school. So I suppose I do in a roundabout way :)

But I could never write after I play hockey. It tires me out so utterly and completely that my brain basically melts and I sit around the house like I am drunk for an hour and then fall asleep lol.

3. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I don't make a habit of it, but I do tend to get creative spurts while at the gym. I guess it's because of boredom on the tredmil.

4. Anonym

Anonym Contributing Member

Yes, at the above. i don't go out of my way to exercise before i write, but i do seem to be in a more creative mentality after

5. b.faulkner89

b.faulkner89 Member

I don't exercise before writing. I would probably rather read after exercising.

I write at night. When most people go to bed, I stay up for ridiculous amounts of time.

Which is never good th next day...

6. EileenG

EileenG Member

Yes, I've got to walk or cycle for about the same length of time as I plan to write. I find it very hard to sit down cold and write, but if I've been exercising, I have a chance to juggle all the characters and dialogue and plot elements around in my head. It makes a huge difference.

7. dropkicker

dropkicker Member

I wish I would go exercising before writing, but my schedule is always jam-packed.

Time moves so fast :/

8. Mr What

Mr What Member

I've tried it. The high after exercising does nothing for my brain for writing (rocks though). Writing often makes me want to exercise though (though, sitting on my ass for hours on end typically does that).

9. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributing Member Contributor

Running on the treadmill while listening to something awesome like Hans Zimmer or Two Steps from Hell = my formula to generate my greatest ideas. Try it some time.