1. Brandon

Brandon New Member

Expiramental Writing

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Brandon, Dec 21, 2007.

Is there a section on here for it. If not, there should be.

2. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

How do you mean, 'experimental writing'?

3. RockyMtn.Wheelz

RockyMtn.Wheelz New Member

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if it's fiction, it goes in the fiction section, non-fiction in the non-fiction section, regardless of what odd form the work might take... so, why should a special section be needed?

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I think that maia is correct with this one. I don't think that the forum need any new areas to be honest. I mean the more forums there is too look through the less traffic there will be and there really is already places for everything to be posted into.

6. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

That would be a good idea, only the forum already has so many areas...

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Having looked at Wheelz's article, I'm not sure what the point of an experimental writing section would be. The Review Room section of the site is specifically for review, so anything posted there is for the purpose of having other people make suggestions on improving the piece. By it's very nature, experimental fiction breaks the rules, so most reviewing suggestions would be meaningless without the writer first laying forth what the parameters of theexperiment are.

That could be done as easily in the existing categories.

So why describe the parameters? Why can't the experiment be to discard all the rules?

Because if you do that, you're really on your own. A review needs to have some framework to measure against, if it is to be anything more than "I like it", or "it reeks".

In scientific terms. an experiment holds most parameters fixed, and then varies specific measurable parameters in a prescribed way, in order to evaluate the effect on the outcome. So for a writing experiment to be meaningful, it needs to adhere to a strict standard of conformity for most elements, and have a clear idea of what rules it does break, and for what reason.

On the other hand, if your intent is to display the work, without receiveing feedback on the success or failure of the experiment, there is always the blog feature of the site.