1. mavor

mavor New Member

explaining an experience

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by mavor, Sep 9, 2013.

Hi. I need help to explain how it "feels"/is experienced to initiate and stop muscle activation. Its not the same as pain, and you cant really pin point out where muscle contraction is going to be before you do it. Its like a total different experience than thinking. Give it a try. Thank you!

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

In what context? For what purpose? Is this a fictional story? A nonfiction article? A school assignment? A writing exercise?

Many muscle activations are involuntary, and even with those that are voluntary, we generally don't think about the biomechanics.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm assuming the description is needed for something to the tune of a paralyzed person reacquiring or relearning to move because, as Ed has stated, it's not a thing one thinks of, and not all muscle activation is even feelable. When I move my arm, the muscular retraction and relaxation is smooth I sense nothing other than the compression of my bicep muscle when I flex by dint of being in the way, and then the catch of the osseous locking mechanism of my elbow that prevents the arm from flexing in the opposing direction. This is different from the very noticeable muscular action of an involuntary movement or twitch. I have one that plagues me from time to time in my left arm. That feels like a guitar string being plucked. The heavy E or the B, not the thin E or A.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

mavor...
    as you can tell from the surmising above, we need more info about what you are trying to describe being done by whom and why, before we can give you relevant advice on the how...

5. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

[OT Nitpick]In standard (EADGBE) tuning, E and A are the thickest/heaviest strings while the high E and B are the thinnest/lightest... unless I somehow misunderstood what you meant.[/OT Nitpick]

Wreybies likes this.
  6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ooops. You are, of course, correct. I allowed the following image to mislead me. :(

[​IMG]

7. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I can see how it could be misleading because it's wrong. :D Unless you use a reverse tuning where E and B are the lowest, thickest strings, but I've yet to see anyone actually do that. Okay, I'll shut up now...

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Our next topic: how describing a sunrise is like a drum set.

jannert likes this.
  9. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Glad you pointed that out... it was bugging me. ;)

Nice analogy all the same, Wrey. I detached a tendon in my shoulder, leaving the joint unstable. Even though it's as healed as it's ever gonna get, I do still get the odd unwarranted, painful spasm, and it feels just like you described.

I do agree though, in regard to the OP. Without having the proper context, we're just stabbing in the dark.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it would help to stay on topic, kids, so you won't be scaring off the poor brand new member by ignoring his/her quandary and going off on silly tangents...

love and hugs, mamma

11. obsidian_cicatrix

@mammamaia You and I requested extra info which as yet is not forthcoming. Our tangent was a direct result of Wrey trying to get to grips with what sort of spasm the OP was referring to, and attempting to relate his own experience as best he could given the circumstances.

I would imagine, if you read something to do with publishing that you knew to be completely incorrect, you would feel the need to correct it. As a musician T.Trian felt the need to put Wrey straight, and if he hadn't, I would have.

I don't consider an attempt to correct a piece of misinformation silly. Not in the least. That might be your opinion, but it is not one that I share.

And still we're waiting for the OP to get back to us with context or further clarification.

12. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Actually, T., southpaws/left handers often restring in reverse order. I've known two who regularly do this to acoustics. One also reverse-tunes his electrics but the other has a specially crafted and designed guitar made for use by a lefty. (Is this where I say I'll shut up now, too?)

13. obsidian_cicatrix

It's kind of a given that southpaws will string in reverse when playing a right handed guitar (although I do know someone who learned to play back to front and upside down)... still doesn't make the second lowest pitched a B string though. (I may shut up too, or I'll get a whoopin' ;))

m24p likes this.
  14. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Ah. Yes. Of course. (Yesterday was a bad day for me. It shows, huh?)

15. obsidian_cicatrix

lol... nah... If T.Trian had said 'alternate' tuning, rather than 'reverse tuning', you probably wouldn't have written what you did. I could see where you were coming from. ;)