1. Zombie_Chinchilla

Zombie_Chinchilla New Member

Military Ranks?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Zombie_Chinchilla, Nov 1, 2010.

For one of my novels, the characters are all in the military. Does anyone know the military ranks, from most powerful to least?

Also, what happens if a platoon has two soldiers of the same position, say general? If each of the generals are telling the soldiers to do two different things, who do they listen to? Or do they just explode?

Thanks!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Which country, and which branch of the military?

As for your other question, the answer lies in the chain of command. Within that soldier's reporting hierarchy, there should be no ambiguity about whose orders take precedence. Outside that reporting hierarchy, the answer is to defer to the soldier's command hierarchy.

I would suggest google.

3. deltaquid

deltaquid New Member

First of all, a platoon will never have a general commanding it; generals aren't even allowed on the field. A colonel is the highest rank that's able to be in the battle.

Secondly, you don't really need to memorize all, but these are the most important ones, from lowest to highest:

Recruit (fresh from boot camp), private, (lance) corporal, sergeant (Sergeants are usually the ones commanding squads of 4-8 people as far as I know), lieutenant, captain, colonel, various generals.

Note that I have never served in the military, and this is a very quick sketch of the chain of command with tons of ranks left out, but if your audience target isn't military die-hards, these are the most important ones. As for who commands if there are two of the same rank? That depends, but the situation is very often averted: Only one person can issue commands to his squad in action, and if he dies, an assigned second-in-command assumes his role.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that does not apply to all countries, nor all branches of military service, delta...

i have to ditto cog and advise the op to be more specific and to google for the info specific to that country/military branch...

5. deltaquid

deltaquid New Member

I'm pretty sure this chain of command works for most countries. The only rank that isn't universal is the Lance-corporal, which is used in the UK but not the USA. Besides, she was talking about a platoon, so I figured she was talking about the Army Branch.

But yes, I agree, a simple google gave me extensive results. Wikipedia is useful, but there's also tons of sites made by veterans in ther spare time.

6. Zombie_Chinchilla

Okay, I got my answer. Thanks to everyone who answered. I was curious about the US military, by the way. Thanks again! :]

1 person likes this.
  7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

would've helped if you'd said so from the get-go... be more specific from now on and you'll save yourself and helpful others time and trouble...

8. Zombie_Chinchilla

Yes, I apologize. It slipped my mind, but I promise to be more specific next time. :p

9. cjs0216

cjs0216 New Member

Lance Corporal is used in the USMC. It's the rank right before Corporal.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Again, you not only need to specify the country, but also the specific branch of the military.

11. cjs0216

cjs0216 New Member

My apologies if that wasn't directed at me...but, USMC= United States Marine Corps. I was just pointing out that the rank lance corporal is in use by the US.

12. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

This covers the ranks from lowest to highest for all U.S. Military branches of service.

http://www.combatcasting.com/RankStructure.html

FYI: you will see the 011 rank at the bottom of this link. These positions are only enacted in time of war to establish a supreme commander of all armed forces. The last time this rank was used was during WWII.

And there are General's in the field. They are generally responsible for Division or Higher level assets. Their roles are different.

Colonel's generally own operational assets such as Brigades or Regiments.

At the Platoon level it's usually a LT and at the Company level it's usually a Captain.

Majors typically hold executive officer or staff positions.

If you have two guys the same rank in the same unit then the responsibility of command goes to the person who has the higher duty position.

For example, if you have two Lieutenants at the Company command level. One of the LT's would be the Company commander and the other could be the Company executive officer. The Company Commander has overriding authority over the other LT even though they are the same rank.

If you have a specific example you need explained, please give it and I can break it down for you