1. huskies

huskies Member

Novel narrator??

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by huskies, May 15, 2012.

hi all i have been away for a really long time, but im back now and im a little confused.

In my book i dont have a narator all the words flow from the mc and her thoughts and what she hears. Is this an ok way to write a book??

Should i change it so there is a narator?

many thanks

2. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I don't understand what your saying, if the reader is seeing this from your main character's perspective, then surely the MC is the narrator, if you are struggling with the narration, then all I can suggest is that you try and experiment with different views. The first person isn't something I use, but done correctly it can convey a wide range of emotions, but it restricts many things, and also means you can't expand on the other characters, as they are separate entities in themselves, showing them would have to work through the interactions between the MC and them, and possibly by what she sees them doing. I would recomend a first person narrative novel, but thay may not be your type of read. The Halo novel Cryptum and Snapshot by an author whose name has just failed me, a decent examples.

The third person is my preffered form of narrative, as it encompasses a wider character base, and can show them at different locations, and it also has a wider time based freedom, if events are happening at the same time.

In the end its your choice, sorry if this makes little sense.

3. huskies

huskies Member

Thank you for the reply.

I simple meant is it better to right for the third person or the mc point of view which you have explained very well thank you.

Im not sure i could write from a third person point of view so will stick with using the mc as my narrator.

Thank you again.

4. killbill

killbill Member

It is fairly common for newbie writers to think that first person is easier, but if you learn how to write in third person you'll find that first person is a tougher view to write a novel than third person. I suggest you at least try to understand what is third person point of view writing before you decide. You can stick with the MC's senses (touch, smell, hear, see etc) in third person too.

5. C.B Harrington

C.B Harrington New Member

As long as your not writing in First Person Present Tense. "I'm looking at my billboard, and I just can't see the resemblance." I caution you from using this narration, while it can be very powerful if used correctly, it's mostly powerful in shorts, script writing, and comics. It's very difficult to maintain first person present-tense through an entire novel without coming off cheesy and losing the reader.

However, if you're using first person past tense, "I looked at my billboard, and just didn't see the resemblance." That's fine. It's basically third person limited, but switching out "He,She" for "I,my"

6. huskies

huskies Member

Yes im using first person past tense. Thanks again for the advice.

I think i will try the third person but with a diffrent story im 57k words into this one and it just feels right to stick with the mc for this one.

Thanks again x