1. Neo

Neo Member

Exposition!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Neo, Feb 25, 2010.

I've been agonizing about writing something of a decent standard, and length for a couple of years now.

Clearing out my room last night, I found, written in two old school workbooks from my high school English, a 66-page complete story, which averages out at probably 11,000 words in total.
    It's absolutely backed with exposition and the action is slight, which is good for two reasons; written up properly, with all the "telling" turned into "showing," all the action draw out appropriately, and with all the exposition dealt with, the book will be at least twice as long on a second draft.
    And secondly, the exposition is such that everything I need, plot-wise, is there, written down for me, so I don't have to wrack my brains trying to remember all the twists, turns and themes in the story!

Winner! :D Just thought I'd share this with you because I'm very excited about this!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm happy for you... but keep in mind that a novel for the adult market will have to be 80-100k, not 22k... and even if it's for YA readers, should be around 40k...

have fun!

3. Marcelo

Marcelo Contributing Member

This reminds me, when I started writing my first novel (of course, I never finished it) I had to force myself to write more than a thousand words per chapter, and this also happened to me with short stories. Now, I barely think of it and I can write better and lengthier pieces.

What I'm trying to say is, don't write only for the sake of the piece being long enough. Let it come naturally, and you'll probably see the word count increasing past the 22,000 words. Good luck!