1. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

New word and meaning

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by LionofPerth, Nov 27, 2007.

I'd like to know your opinion of this idea of mine. It's the ability to see the future like the character can in mysci fi piece.

Pre-shadow- the visual perception of where something/someone is going to be before they arrive at that point in the future.

I think calling them ghosts would be a good way of visualisingwhat he sees, transparent, ethereal etc.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Pre-shadow sounds too much like foreshadowing to me, does not really evoke the visual element.

What about fore-image/foreimaging?

3. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

what makes this different from a Doppelganger?

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Isn't a Doppelganger is opposite personality though?
    Like a very nice person would have a very evil Doppelganger and vice-versa?

5. Cogito

A Doppleganger is a creature that mimics a person, usually to infiltrate a group and spy on or kill other members. An example of Doppelgangers are the replicants in John Carpenter's classic The Thing.

What LoP is refering to is a kind of a ghost image (not an actual ghost) that indicates where someone or something will be a second or two in the future - sort of an image trail, but predictive. It is a psionic ability, being able to see a moment or two into the future.

6. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Actually a Doppelganger, is a ghostly image of a living person, often foreshadowing what the person will be doing in the future. Often thought to be an omen of their impending death.

7. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

An Inkling...

I think that word portrays the ethereal quality.

8. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Thought about inkling, but that seems too, instictive, this is beyond instinct, and I wanted the word to be more... military in origin, kinda crappy title, but means a bit, pre-shadow works, but I need something better.

Pre-something is the type of thing I feel is right for the story, if you can understand.

Doppleganger... I thought was an evil creature that could take on the form of a person, do evil deeds in their body to ruin their rep, basically make their life hell, got off on it so to speak. Too much D&D I guess.

Fore-image seems a bit too clunky, unfortunately. Pre-(insert actual word I end up using) seems right, as it means before, so I guess pre-image/future view is the type of meaning it would need.

9. adamant

Premonition means what you wanted almost exactly. There is also clairvoyance... or if you really want: "Prevoyance". I believe that would mean to "see before".

10. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

That could work, but it seems too mystical...

Pre-image could work as well, closer to that odd military type of name for the ability I want.

It's a toss up between prevoyance and pre-image.

Premonition is too magical a word for me, like an Oracle has a premonition, not the kind of babble I want in the story.

11. adamant

Try finding a word and translating it to German, etc. The sounds usually have a harsher tone, so it may give the effect you're looking for. We steal words from other languages all the time; it shouldn't seem all that odd to those reading. In addition, you can corrupt the word somewhat.

12. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

I've already created enough of a lingo for the piece, so I feel I've done enough on the language front, and I think if I try for a different language on this word, whatever it maybe, I could end up confusing the readers.

We all want to avoid that right.

13. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I was actually likeing fore-shadow!

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

foreshadow is a legitimate word that means exactly what the op says is needed, but doesn't have a hyphen...

15. Cogito

Agreed, although any new word you introduce into a story requires that you convey to the reader what the word will mean. Doing so by definitions, or by adding a glossary at the beginning or end, is a bit dry, although if you use a lot of created lingo, a glossary at the end may be a useful "crib sheet". I favor using a new word in a context that makes its meaning fairly obvious, and also paraphrasing the meaning to reinforce it. That is from my vast experience of writing one mediocre short story in which I introduced several created slang terms. :)

But I also can refer back to other writers. Larry Niven created many new words in his various novels, particularly the Ringworld series. Some of them, like the expletive tanj were well known to the characters as their native slang (tanj comes from "there ain't no justice!"), so he used contextual cues like I mentioned above. Others were words in wide use among the inhabitants of places like the Ringworld, so the exporers had to speculate on the meaning of terms like "cziltang brone", or ask the locals once they had established rudimentary communication. The cziltang brone was an osmosis generator. Nessus speculated that "'brone' may be a modifier, possibly obscene."

I hope this gives some ideas on introducing customized words into your story.

16. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

I try to make it clear what the new words I created mean through the dialogue, example, I had the acronym PHUM explained as a correction to the civvie version of that word, while some of the insults are modified forms of current ones, ie nebulahead/neb head.

Foreshadow, seems too, narrative for this story. It's an ability and the military named it something stupid but, you read it and know the meaning, which is why I am leaning towards pre-image, it's an image of where someone is going to be in the very short term future.

17. adamant

Preposition, Amused me to say it...
    Prescene, Play on words (sounds foreign if you say it fast); before the scene takes place / seen before
    Presight
    Deja View, hehe...

18. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Preposition, meh, prescene and presight could work...

So right now it's a toss up between these three
    Pre-image
    Presight
    Prescene

19. Cogito

I like pre-image, the converse of an afterimage.

20. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Which is the reason I like pre-image so much, it means seen before, but not in the deja view way, literally, seen before. It has that military simplity to it, while it's well, odd enough for me to like.

It just sounds a little more right than some of the others ideas I've had.

'Hayabusa looked down the hall, the pre-images of the pirates patrol appearing' is the best example of how I would use it.

21. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

I'd use it more militarily- kind of another level of bureaucracy bull****- "GET ME THE PRE-IMAGE ON MY DESK IN FIVE MINUTES, JOHNSON!!!" It would be used as an unrefined JPEG sort of thing, the fuzzy version of the image that shows up before it starts to figure itself out. (for those of you with broadband, you probably don't know what I mean, but meh)

22. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

It's his ability to see the future, short term, five seconds at most. I think the word fits better that way, where as the above use is more... obscure, how does pre-image work in that context. It sounds like a piece of ELINT (electronic inteligence) that you get from some type of satelite or observation post.

Ideally I want whatever I choose to have that military simplicity in the name, you know what it means, because that is exactly what it means, very literal.

23. adamant

Seems more like sonar when you describe it that way.

24. Cogito

On the other hand, the military approach would be to make an acronym out of it, pronounceable but not necessarily intuitively obvious. Consider radar (Radio Direction and Ranging) or laser (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) that have become so familiar that few people even think of the origins of the names.

25. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

True, but knowing my luck it would out as CHOBAM(No idea, Composite something something) or APFSDS(Armour Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Shot) aka Sabot rounds.

Anyway, not all military terms are that type, acronyms yes, but some are rather simple perversions of words, and pre-image means exactly what it says, so it's simple, while being obvious.

Herky bird, which is a Hercules transport is the closest thing to what I've done, Herky is short for the name, bird saying it's a plane, hummer, well, the HMMWV is the vehicle... bingo! Rat packs or ration packs is another example of what I've done, in a way. I've shortened the first part of it, so the full name could be 'pre-sighted/pre-seen image' which in turn becomes pre-image.