1. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

Have you ever dreamed about your characters?

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Archnenna, Mar 5, 2011.

I didn't notice a thread like this anywhere, so I decided to open one. I don't know if it fits this category, I hope it does.

So this is basically about your dreams about your characters. Have you ever had them? Can you describe them to us?

I'll be first. I had a dream like it tonight.

I was Marril (I dunno if I looked like her or like myself, but I was definitely her) and had her telepathy powers. I was in my real-life kitchen. Some middle-aged man was sitting at the table and I tried to use telepathy to make him do something. It didn't work. It turned out that Belial (the vampire, the main villain in the book 1 that also has telepathy) was outside my window and blocking my telepathy with his own (yes, he can do that in the book). So I somehow chased him inside my house by going to towards windows and watching him, and he ran from one window to another (we have two big windows).

Somehow he was able to be outside, even though it was a day and there was sun on the sky, without turning into ashes. It was kinda scary actually the way he looked at me. Then for some reason he ran away and I was finally able to use my telepathy and make that man do something. Then I woke up.

There were more dreams like this, but I fogot about them. Now it's your turn to share :D

2. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

I can honestly say that I've never dreamed about my characters, or about any aspects of my novel writing.

Basically, when it is time to write, I immerse myself 100% into it. The other 160 hours of the week, my writing never gets a second thought, other than indirectly through my time on here. My life is simply too busy with work, kids etc.

It works for me. :)

3. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

In fact, the star of my stories was born as a dream. One night, I went to bed particularly aware of the fact that I had gone eighteen years (at the time) without so much as a single date. It bothered me on that night, so that's what I went to sleep thinking of. That and the sort of person I'd love to meet. My subconscious brain decided to show me what my daydreams looked like.

I saw a vividly green-eyed brunette with a decidedly eccentric personality. She was excited about something, telling me that she had finally "found it." I can't remember what "it" was supposed to be, but it made sense in the dream, as if "it" was something we'd been talking about for months. Anyway, she insisted that I go with her to get it, and I, for whatever reason, wasn't particularly thrilled with the idea. Rather than letting me stay behind or trying to convince me that "it" was a good thing, she simply grabbed me by the collar and hauled me along with her toward whatever destination. The dream ended here due to a positively monstrous clap of thunder in the real world. Painfully short, but it was enough to set my imagination on fire.

It was an extremely vivid dream that I still recall in perfect detail (aside from "it"), and it's been my inspiration for over two years. The green-eyed girl has been copied and pasted into my ongoing series, and her character has been fully fleshed out in line with what I saw in the dream. And although this is all pure fantasy, I'm constantly on the lookout for her in the waking world as well. Taylor, as she's called, almost certainly doesn't exist, but I'm prone to magical thinking. If she is real, or if there is someone much like her out there somewhere, I intend to find her.

That's the only character-related dream I've had so far.

4. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I have fallen asleep thinking of them and where to go from the point I left off writing, but never dreamed of them.
    Totally fantasy world, so there is a good divide.
    Unlike being in this world with special abilities.

The one story I wrote in current times, I did not dream about any of the characters.

5. Night Queen

Night Queen New Member

Honestly, most of my stories start out as dreams in the first place. I think, of the thirteen book ideas i have, only two WEREN'T from a dream.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

God forbid NO.
    I would not want to.
    I live a separate life from my books.

7. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yep. I do alot. Actually one time i dreamt about them and i got a bunch of scenes memorized.

8. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

Indeed I have dreamt about them.
    From what I can remember, it was mostly the two characters I based off some geeky guys I had the hots for in highschool..

I can't really remember what was going on in those dreams though.

9. Fullmetal Xeno

I ask myself the same question. Sometimes i forgot what happened in my dreams.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I've had dreams where I was either my character or was accompanying them.

Once, I had a dream that I was Amos, my blind Colonial detective. I was lying on my side, my hands tied behind me, my feet tied together and had a cloth shoved into my mouth. The blindfold was apparently the dream's way of saying, 'You are your blind character.'

I can't remember much else, but I was onboard a ship (no, it was not a pirate ship) and someone was talking about a horrible, yet efficient way they could dispose of me. Something about sailing the ship out into the ocean, tying my ankles to cannonballs and tossing me overboard.

11. Fullmetal Xeno

I've had one dream where i was watching my charcters being surrounded by a kingdom of spiders. Gruesome, it was.

12. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Don't think so.

I had a quite vivid dream though that I'm turning into a short story. It came about (I think) because of some stuff I read on here one evening.

13. ClusterChuck

ClusterChuck New Member

i highly recommend nicotine patches while asleep. They give wicked sick vivid dreams about the most random things. Like the most vivid dreams a person can have. It has a warning in the box that says avoid if prone to nightmares or night terrors.

Anyway when i was quiting the sticks i would have dreams about whatever the three pieces i would be working on that day and they would have beginnings middles and ends, along with recurring characters from different stories, mood music, multiple story arches. All of which coincided with characters and settings along with crazy random stuff mile apart but right there in the thick of it. I realized my unconscious mind is much more creative than my silly conscious one.

14. Hellchoseme

Hellchoseme New Member

I spent months trying to work out the plot to a story that never made any sense. I mentally planned it out over and over again but still to no avail. Until I had a dream I saw a a clear sphere. Inside it was some kind of artifact which would unleash the hordes of hell. I was told (by who I don't recall) that only someone with no soul could use the artifact.
    And that solved my problems.

I still have issues descibing it. I call it "The rune sphere".

Other than that nothing has ever came to me in dream.

15. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I think I might have, I dreamt that i was in Vale, a place in my Project Zero universe, and the sky was mixture of red and orange, so I'm guessing Ghost was on the rampage, and I also think I dreant Hacker tried to hack my mind. It's strange my mind operates in strange ways

16. Marranda

Marranda New Member

Around Halloween last year my English professor assigned us to write a short horror story as our next essay assignment. I went home that night completely clueless,and was still clueless when I went to bed that night. But then I had a nightmare about applying for a waitress job at a bar owned and run by the actor Jeff Bridges and finding out the world was overrun by mutated humans who eat people at night.
    I got an A for that one...

Another time, with nothing specific on my mind, I had a dream about a woman who survives a sort of apocalypse, and in her search for diversion, happen upon an abandoned infant while being followed by an oddly domesticated pack of wolves. When I woke up I immediately began writing it, and although it was only supposed to be a short story, it ended up being close to 9,000 words.

Both are on my blog: www.marranderson.blog.com/dreamscape

A few other dreams I've had ended up on there as short stories. I have intensely vivid dreams sometimes, and there's nothing I can do but write them down as soon as I wake up.

17. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I am on the same boat with you. All of my characters from my stories come from my dreams. There are times where my characters from one book cross into another dream with characters from another book.

Before I sleep I think about a situation I want to dream about and moments later I am there in a lucid state of mind.

18. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

I never remember my dreams... So no. The only one I remember until this date is that I was in a bouncy house with Pikachu, and I don't quite understand how is that supposed to give me a great story.
    But then, all my ideas came from nowhere, like something just snapped... I really try not to think about it, and they just appear in my mind.

19. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

The main idea of my current story was initially a dream, but it was very different. I just saw the MC fleeing from the police, trying to work his powers on them to stop them chasing him. The story is very different now but that's how it began.

I also dreamt some key things in the plot that I was stuck on. Like how the portals in the story work, the idea was just great, I was like 'OMG! I got it', then how the MC meets his father again and the kind of creatures that live in the world and then I dreamt about how the MC finds one of the key items in the plot and last night I had the idea of making the main antagonist a demon disguised as a human.

I love these dreams, so many issues are solved in them. :D

20. Morvane

Morvane New Member

I don't know if this qualifies as dreaming or insanity but, hey, it gets the pencil going. I would dream and then the people in the dream won't leave me alone till I give them a story. Talk about having voices in your head! Each and every story I created comes from the people that won't go away after I wake up. Call me crazy but I actually have conversations with some of them and they all have different personalities, ideas...I yelled at one during class one day to shut up while I was taking a test.

:( and I thought high school was hard before.

At least the antagonists usually don't talk, I have enough evil thoughts on my own.

21. AJtheWriter

AJtheWriter New Member

I don't actually know for sure if I "dream" about them... but I do know that I fall asleep almost every night thinking about my characters in vivid detail, and about what will happen next. I find it very exciting, fun & relaxing. That time is quite possibly one on the best parts of my day/night.

I can tell you that I daydream about them a lot!

22. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, not about my characters specifically, but I dream of events or scenarios that I write down in a list to save for later. I'll likely come up with a story about it in the future, but for now, they're there.

23. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

I've never dreamed about any of them. I've dreamt of other people's fictional characters though. Like Hagrid, Aberforth Dumbledoes, Peeta and Peter Pan.

And a lot of zombies.

I often get ideas from my dreams though, so I guess you could say I have, in a way.

24. Lady Amalthea

Lady Amalthea Member

Oh my God! I though I was crazy. Thank you. I dream about my characters very frequently! Sometimes whole scenes play out, but unfortunately I onle remember about half of them. Sometimes I will even dream about a character more than once.

25. fzwd

fzwd New Member

yes, characters come from my dreams. most of my dreams have the same characters, & even when their not its almost as if it's them just dressed up playing a part... spent a little time Q&A with a few left with a weird conclusion, that they think I'm just really part of their dream world... or something like that.