Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Facebook manipulated users' moods in secret experiment

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Jun 29, 2014.

Marketing ethics know no bounds.

Facebook manipulated users' moods in secret experiment to show bad moods spread

Of course the fine print you can't be on FB without agreeing to gave them permission:
    Even the Editor of Facebook's Mood Study Thought It Was Creepy
    That's even worse!

Here's the study:
    Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Remarkably cavalier of them, but not really surprising. The only part that baffles me (continuously) is that when for whatever reason people thought Apple was trying to take over the data-scape, they got all torch and pitchfork ready for Dr. Frankenjob's castle storming, but as Facebook and Google engage in doing the actual thing no one is raving or spittle-beflecked. Nope. The position I see The People taking is usually referred to as 'doggy style' in the common parlance.

3. GingerCoffee

Someone in another forum posted this relevant comment:
    [​IMG]

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Reminds me of the study with the shock box. I guess ethics and what they actually are, are up to who's involved and what's at stake.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Hahaha.:-D Shit just got real.

6. GingerCoffee

I didn't want to start a new thread but OMG!

FaceBook complied my cousin's pictures of her friends and put a montage together, complete with music and little captions and ended with
    Happy Birthday from FaceBook. And then they sent notices out that she'd posted a new video.

That's creepy, FB wants to be your friend.

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    FB is merely a tool to keep in touch with a few people I care to keep in touch with. Ultimately yes it is a meat market of selling consumers info to companies for targeted profits. Although they wasted a lot on manipulating peoples emotions, but when 'science' is involved money get thrown out in massive grants for useless studies. Hell the GOV spent something upwards of 2+million on a team of people who did a big study on duck penises. So if you have a great pitch you too can get a GOV Grant to study whatever wakieness you want, even if it is useless or pointless.

Besides FB relies on selling advert space so they can profit from their gullible little click baters. :D

Word of advice don't trust any Corporation no matter what, they don't give a shit about anything but their bottom line.

8. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributing Member Contributor

I had one of those appear on my birthday, too. I got the option of whether or not I wanted to post it, though, and clicked 'LOL no'.

This is kinda simplistic, IMO. Facebook cares a lot about your experience using Facebook, because if you don't like it, you leave, and they don't get their advertising dollars. It may come down to the cash in the end, but that doesn't mean their interests and yours are completely mis-aligned.

9. Cave Troll

@NigeTheHat You are aware that FB was originally intended for college kids to keep in touch, and was never meant to become this global network. So in a way I am completely sound on my position, but it is just the new Myspace until something else comes along. There will always be trends like this in social media sites, give it time it to will be replaced with something better. And if you think they try really hard to keep me on their site you are wrong, I do it for the people who care about me. FB has done jack to try and stop me from leaving, or even try to make my exp. better. All they have done is bombard me with adverts that make me want to leave, because I am not a good "little consumer". That and they not only sell your info to companies, but also to the NSA because why not. Point is they have done nothing to make me believe they are nothing more than a Corporation offering a service that could disappear, when A: it gets replaced by something else. B: If it gets taken down by some outside activity :Hacking, EMP, Internet shut down/restricted. So yeah they really care about me enough to keep me there. Besides there have been studies that the Upper Class in our society look down upon the rest of us as nothing more than something underneath them that is unfit in their eyes. They hate us, but we make them what they are. It is an ugly parasitic relationship that has been going of for thousands of years. But that is just the world, and how it works. Money makes the world go round, not the people who built it up to what it is.

10. NigeTheHat

Well, yeah, but I don't understand what that's got to do with anything.

Facebook have done a ton to try and stop you from leaving. They arrange your newsfeed so you see things from people that their algorithm suggests you'll like seeing. They've done loads to keep advertisements from being too invasive - which I grant is hard to notice if you've only been on the receiving end of the advertising platform, and never tried anything particularly aggressive running ads yourself.

Now, none of that's to say what they're doing is working. They're trying to make the experience good for the generic mass of people - if you're the kind of person who's going to be instantly turned off at the first whiff of an ad or really hates the particular shade of blue they use, then I suspect they're quite happy to write you off as lost. But that's not the same as saying they're not making any attempt to make it pleasant for you.

As far as I know, they don't sell your info to companies, they just allow companies to use their system to target users. I'm aware you may consider that a distinction without a difference. As for the rest, if you're unhappy that an internet-based service might not be able to continue delivery when the internet isn't available, then... yes. That's definitely a thing I can see happening. You seem happy enough to hang around here, though, so how's Daniel dealt with that?

Um. OK, I guess? But I'm not sure what this has to do with anything either.

11. Cave Troll

When I search for something for research and it just so happens to be on a website that does sell stuff, or from a website I have made purchases from in the past it bothers me. Let alone trying to get me to buy said things constantly on the side bar between feed and friends, by displaying exactly what I had searched and where I was looking at it. I don't need a reminder of where I have been or what I am looking at that can be purchased, I already know what it is and where to find it if I absolutely can't live with out it. I call that targeted and aggressive, almost demanding me to spend when I don't care to.

Check it out sometime, and you will see what I am talking about. Companies can almost predict certain Items to sell you based upon what you post in your feed alone if you post about specific enough things ( wedding, pregnancy, etc.). Try it out and just randomly search on a top tier merch site like amazon for instance and you will probably see that there will be an advertisement for what you searched. May not be sold info, but at least collusion.

12. NigeTheHat

That's called retargeting. Companies like Perfect Audience do it, and they'll stick adverts on any site you visit, not just Facebook - it's done through cookies placed in your browser. Turn off cookies and clear the ones currently set and it'll stop happening.

13. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Maybe I'm strange to offer the differing opinion, but I'm not mad at this at all. In fact, I think it's remarkably fascinating, and a potentially paramount study to determine the effects of long-term social media use on one's overall happiness and self-esteem -- something we as a society, and myself especially as a parent, really ought to be looking into for the sake of impressionable pre-teens and teenagers who are so wrapped up in social media right now.

Psychological studies aren't always ethical. Consider the Stanford Prison experiment. What a terrible, awful, disgusting thing -- I'm always so shocked that Philip Zambardo didn't get his ass sued to pieces and fired from Stanford over that one. Quite the opposite -- he went on to win the Nobel Prize for Psychology. And as much as I find the study unethical, it taught us an enormous amount about human nature, and what might cause generally "good" people to inflict serious harm under the influence of various situations and authorities.

Do they use psychology for marketing? Yes. Is it unethical? Eh. I think you agree to be bound by marketing schemes the moment you purchase something from Amazon, join Facebook, or redeem a 20% off coupon.

Plus, like the poster above said -- with a little information or compromise (simply not having a Facebook, etc.), you can easily first out-wit those who would aim to out-wit you. At the end of the day, it's up to the consumer to decide how far their willing to give for the sake of convenience or the perception of a good time.

Cave Troll likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.