1. sereda008

sereda008 Senior Member

factual wrting.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by sereda008, Jan 21, 2011.

I am reviewing my first unfinished novel, and I cannot keep myself from adding some paragraphs of facts throughout it. It is still story orientated, but here is one example:

Is this interesting to read? I mean, am I making the story more boring? Sorry for the question, but I really need another opinion on this.

2. Headintheclouds

Headintheclouds Member

Is all this information relevant to the story? For instance, do you have an event in the plot centred around "Dark Diamond"? Is it a necessary event? Because unless the facts presented actually pose some kind of plotline later on, you shouldn't include all this. Even if you did, I wouldn't simply dump all the information on the reader. Try incorporating the facts gradually. It would also work better if the information was expressed through action or dialogue, rather than through narration. (For instance show "Dark Diamond" being made, and then shaped into armour for these creatures - maybe even in the prologue before the story actually starts. Have her find papers on the topic and read them. Have someone - a mentor or the like - explain certain facts to her. Things like this work better than dumping ALL of the information onto the reader. You can still express some of it through narration.

3. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Sorry - you lost me at "Deathers were".

If it were a frivolous summer read, I'd skip ahead to the story itself. If I had to skip often, I'd just skip over the rest of the book.

-Frank

4. sereda008

sereda008 Senior Member

It is just one paragraph, not the prologue.

And the idea of showing dark diamond being made seems to be a good one, thanks.

I am expressing a lot of the information throughout the dialogue and story.

5. Xeniyah

Xeniyah Member

Personally, I really don't like factual information given out like that, it's boring and it really interrupts the story/novel. Regardless of which author does it, I tend to skip over it.

I'd try to give the information in other ways, Headinthecoulds gave some really good examples but, as informative this might be, this does not work in a story.

At least not for me

6. JeffS65

JeffS65 Contributing Member

You don't need to block it in to a story like that. It tends to be a bit of a dump of info. As others said, it seems like a section to skip over. I honestly didn't read the whole thing.

If such information is important to a story, then you can intersperse it throughout. Most of what it written in your post is too much information. You can introduce the idea that the war started with the Deathers but explaining with such depth under most circumstances is't going to prove useful to the reader at one shot.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

but it's an overlong one and overcrammed with boring detail that is probably not needed... and will most likely be skipped over by most readers, if they don't toss the whole thing...