1. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet Contributing Member

Fairy tales

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by PrincessGarnet, Jul 31, 2007.

I was thinking about writing a children's story so when I saw a great volume of the Grimm brother's fairy tales in my bookshop I bought it thinking it would be good to stimulate the creative mind, but dear me - cannibalism, incest, decapitation, murder, metamorphosis, child cruelty - these stories are giving me nightmares. Also all females are either dependant and stupid or calculating and wicked (i.e. step mothers). Of course, of course it was a different time.

So on an entirely different note what's everyone's favourite fairy tale?

The more obscure the better. I'd have to choose a popular one though - snow white!-'bring me back her heart!’- although I always feel bad at the very end when her step mother dies, she clearly had issues if looks were that important to her (apparently I cried when she died in the Disney version)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have one book I've read to young children, Magical Tales from Many Lands by Margaret Mayo. The cultural elements that reveal themselves through these stories are delightful as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Tales-Many-Lands-Margaret/dp/0525450173

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

Hmm....Stardust would have to be mine. It's by Neil Gaiman, and although some may say it's just a fantasy story, it is the definition of a fairy tale through and through. It's not making fun of fairy tales, it's not imitating fairy tales- it's a fairy tale, and a great one at that.

4. SB108

SB108 Member

There's a book called 'The Book of Lost Things' by John Connoly. Its about a boy who gets himself lost in a fairytail world, it has all the regular fairytails, like red riding hood, the three bears, snow white, ect are all kind of warped and messed with. It's a very good book.

Red ridng hood has always been enjoyable, but I think Wolf is a bit misunderstood. Call me crazy but he's my favorite character.

5. Ivy.Mane

Ivy.Mane Member

I always loved Shirley Barber's books. They have beautiful illistrations and the stories are really great. They're all about fairies, well They'rer mostly set in fairyland and from what I can remember (unfortunatley I have no idea where my parents put the books) there isn't a difinative evil. Like there's no evil stepmother or wizard or wolf.

Ivy Mane

6. ForsytheTragedy

ForsytheTragedy New Member

Jack and the Beanstalk!! My dad used to tell us that story as a kid, but he didn't need a book. He knew the story pretty much by heart, so growing up I always related that story to my father. It is one of the few things I can remember my dad doing as a "take some time out for the kids" kind of thing. "Fee fi fo fum!! I smell the blood of an English-man!!" :p