1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lemex, Jun 5, 2015.

Question: what is wrong with this forum? It hasn't got a Fallout 4 thread yet!

It has been 3 days (something like that?) since the trailer came out, and it looks frankly fantastic. I've loved these games for as long as I remember, and it just seems to get better and better. Who is as excited as I am for the next venture into the wastelands of the post-apocalyptica?

T.Trian, Link the Writer and Kingtype like this.
  2. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Hope they have vehicles in this one or ride the camel things.

EXCITED

But that's a thing Im hoping for

3. Lemex

I just hope they do better getting the AI characters in a better part of the uncanny valley. And make a FPS Fallout game that isn't loaded with bugs.

4. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

The last one, New Vegas, was okay, compared to FO3. I really loved the subway crawls in FO3 and they didn't recapture that in NV.

You're right about the bugs, but one bug I enjoyed was the extra durable dogmeat and Fawkes, because really...going toe-to-toe with a Deathclaw or giant radscorpion. Really? I could never keep a normal follower alive because they behaved stupidly.

Skyrim isn't much better, except that followers don't die. They just go down to one knee and the opponents turn on me.

Lemex likes this.
  5. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

look I'm sorry to be a negative Nancy but that trailer was pure Vanilla. All right, some of the towns looked fairly cool, but it was basically just more of fall out three. I wasnt expecting a theatrically amazing trailer like Deus Ex 3 or anything draw dropping like with GTA V but I was hoping for something maybe 80% as impressive as that

This felt pretty uninspired.

6. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

It's using the same engine they've been using since Oblivion. This alone has me pretty mad, they're using an engine that should have been wiped from existence the minute it was first used. The only thing it's good for is its simplicity in creating large environments, but the fact that it isn't very malleable is bad. It doesn't allow for complex animations or graphics, which is why Fallout 4 will look only a bit better than Fallout 3. Don't get me started on the game mechanics, we all know how sluggish Bethesda games feel. The bugs are pretty bad too; constant use of the same game engine should have allowed them to iron out the bugs by the time Skyrim hit, but that was a disaster.

Despite all of that bitterness, I'm very excited. I love the Fallout universe and the detail Bethesda puts into its game worlds.

7. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Well it was the first trailer.

Hopefully we see more of it and some of its new features at E3.

I Am Vague likes this.
  8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm looking forward to Fallout 4 immensely. It was the sole reason I even got the X-Box One (that, and future installments of The Elder Scrolls and Saints Row).

Can't wait to see what this game has to offer.

9. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm scared to watch the trailer, frankly. As an avid, and I admit, obsessed fan since the original, I don't have the time or the hardware to invest in another fallout experience, and I know that watching the trailer will give me no option.

Lemex likes this.
  10. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

The trailer told petty much nothing of the story. Dogmeat (or a dog) is in there, but other than that, it's just showcasing the scenery.

11. Link the Writer

It basically just shows a dog (likely Dogmeat) exploring the ruins of an old home. We get flashbacks of what the home looked like pre-Great War. The dog bolts out of the house and runs for a while down an old bridge. We get flashbacks of the old bridge pre-Great War with people running for shelter.

Then we see the dog reunite with a man wearing a Vault 111 jumpsuit. He scratches the dog's cheek and says, "Let's go, boy." The last flashback is of the pre-War people standing over Vault 111 watching a blinding explosion happening at least several miles away from them.

Oh, and we get brief screens of the various places in Boston. That's it.

So basically no plot at all.

There is a theory/rumor over in the main Bethesda forum where...

Vault 111 Guy is a pre-War citizen who was frozen in stasis. That, or he's an android as the Boston area is known for the high-tech stuff like Harkness and Co.

Other than that, we've got nothing until Bethesda clarifies this E3.

12. Lemex

There is a lot of emphasis on pre-war America, isn't there? I've always liked the idea you only saw what it was like before in snatches, and everything seemed sort of vague, or untrustworthy, or just beautifully haunting images - like the charred skeletons in beds, still holding on to each other after 100 years. Especially in Fallout 3. And the gas prices you see in Fallout 2. It added a huge amount of very quiet pathos to the series, I found.

But still, it'll be kind of cool to see the nuclear war. :)

13. Link the Writer

That's a good point. With all the talk about pre-War America, you'd think we'd visit that era just to see what life was like before it all went to hell. It's kinda important to check it out a bit, y'know?

It is haunting. Ever been to Minefield? Explored each house? Very, very creepy and sad...

14. Lemex

Yeah, that's where I was thinking of most, to be honest.

15. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

It looks like BHoS makes an appearance. There's been some redesigns. The robot has a transparent front shield and you see some red LED behind it. The deathclaw may have undergone a minor cosmetic change as well.

There's a flying ship (an aquatic ship), a new bug type critter. There's also a dirigible. I think I may have spotted Enclave, but that's not certain. BHoS had vertibirds also, but there were black power armor soldiers.

Power armor was redesigned. The vault dweller has a different firearm than I've seen before.

Other than that, I can't guess the overall story.

16. Lemex

I thought it looked like a Chinese Assault Rifle.

17. Link the Writer

Personally, I just hope that Fallout 4 carries the trend New Vegas started with factions and companions that are controlled via the companion wheel and won't die when their own stupid AI gets them killed.

There are some things I would like for Fallout 4 to avoid:
    + Having the main quest revolve around a set family. In RPGs like this, I like blank-slate characters where I can make up a backdrop with the limited information I have (ie, the PC comes from Vault 111, that's all I need to know.) I don't have a problem with having a family, but as long as it doesn't revolve around them, I'm cool.

+ Having a pure good/pure evil plot line. The theme of the series is about survival, to come out on top. The villains of Fallout 3 felt too flat for me. "Mwahahahaha, we are evil and stuff! Gimmie the code for the water purifier or else!!!" I like villains with good justification for their actions. They can still be wrong, but it's better than being a one-dimension 'because I'm evil' villain.

+ Tutorial that lasts for an hour/hour and a half. God damn it, please don't do what Fallout 3 did with its tutorial... Either give me a brief tutorial or let me figure it out on my own. If Fallout 4 starts off with me as a baby waddling around in my home pre-Great War, then as a teen learning to shoot a BB gun at cans, then finally as a teen running to shelter during the War, I'm going to grit my teeth and curse whoever thought repeating Fallout 3's tutorial was a smart move.

+ Barren wasteland with hardly anything interesting. I get it, it's set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, but that's no excuse. I would still like to investigate a plethora of caves, abandoned buildings/towns, sewers, etc. There should be something interesting rather than a stretch of open, blasted wasteland with twisted trees and chunks of metal.

+ Super-powered Companions. Fawkes must've hacked into the game and typed 'Toggle God Mode' on his own character after Broken Steel because he is unstoppable. Absolutely nothing will kill him; he could literally plow through an entire army of Enclaves single-handedly and you wouldn't even have to lift a finger.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  18. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

^New Vegas had a great tutorial, because it was optional. I'm still waiting for game devs to let us skip tutorials when we've completed them at least once.

Link the Writer likes this.
  19. Link the Writer

Exactly. You'd think they'd have figured it out by now to give us a 'skip tutorial' mission. Yes, Bonnie from Red Dead Redemption, I already know how to use a lasso, no need to show me. Trust me, this is my fifth play through of the story, I think I got it.

20. Lemex

It did? Is that where you shot bottles off a wall?

21. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Wait up, Mr. Maaaarston!

22. Link the Writer

Yep, but it was completely optional, the game didn't force you to go train with Sunny (wait, what's her name again?) even if it was a quest on your pipboy.

23. Lemex

I found that little mission really quite boring. I normally try to get critical strikes on things with the rifle anyway, so all it did was give me some low-level things to shoot, and skins to sell for caps. Which because I'm me, I usually spent on whisky anyway. :D

24. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Since I do not own enough powerful PC to run the newest games, I've been out of gaming business for quite a while now.
    You seem to be one darn gamer for the literary taste you have. Not that they are at odds, It's just, kind of, unexpected.

25. Lemex

Haha, it's fine. :) I'm more than just this forum's classics snob, I am a child of the 1990s. I play video games, and will happily defend them as art. I really like the writing in BioShock, the Anglo-Saxon, Beowulf-y feel of Skyrim with all it's allusions to Norse culture and the Poetic Edda; and as much as I like the irreverence of Fallout, the indepth strategy of a good game of Civ, or the soul-crushing horror of Silent Hill or Metro 2033.

To be honest, I've honestly read books and played games at the same time. I went through a period of walking everywhere on Skyrim (especially when over-encumbered) handling the controller with one hand and holding a book open with the other. Multi-tasking isn't something I find all that difficult.

Hwaigon likes this.