Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lemex, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Based on Bethesda's record?

You know that Fallout 3 was a huge hit, right?

2. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I played Fallout 3. Of course it was a hit. Bethesda is famous for having repetitive gameplay.

3. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

You've got to be trolling. Your logic is all over the place. -_-

4. Selbbin

So don't get 4. Simple.

5. Selbbin

I'm hoping that with the relaxed gaming legislation in Australia that we can reference real world drugs and not have to resort to silly names to bring the rating down.

6. 123456789

The game was a hit despite its repetitive gameplay. When people see a massive world, they get impressed. What is illogical here?

7. Selbbin

When people have fun they get impressed. And then they want to have that fun again. Some people go on the roller-coaster a second time.

And it's hardly repetitive game-play. In Fallout you can, if you're into that kind of thing, try all sorts of different approaches, try all sorts of different characters. Yeah, you still just talk and shoot and walk and fulfill missions, but c'mon, that's every game, even your beloved GTA series. Halo, now that's repetitive (even though it's still ok. I did finish the original after all... but it is just an arcade level after level shooter.)

8. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I love open-world / sandbox games. In fact they're my favourite type of game, but the Fallout game I played a couple of years ago (New Vegas or the one before it, maybe - can't recall now) just didn't gel with me in the slightest.

The one I'm looking forward to most right now is H1Z1, but that won't be out till early - mid 2016 at the earliest. There's rumour it's going to be free on the PSN, but I'll believe that when I see it.

9. Acanthophis

I was referring to your posts collectively. But anyway, as that conversation is a lost cause...

Didn't even know the launch trailer came out. -_-

10. Selbbin

Is The last of Us any good? Or is that a linear, 'you must do this and nothing else to advance' kind of story?

11. OurJud

It's fairly linear, but a truly amazing experience in my opinion.

12. Acanthophis

It's a linear experience with non-linear gameplay. There are two or three small segments in the game where it forces you to engage an area in a certain way (high school gym still gives me traumatic flashbacks), but for the most part you play it however you feel best. There's a lot of exploring too, which may seem weird for a linear experience; if you look around the environment instead of just running through, you can come across extra supplies and what not, which at higher difficulties is crucial. I think I played the 'grounded' difficulty with like three revolver rounds the entire way, never finding more. At that difficulty you kind of need to be stealthy, as enemies are smarter, tankier, and more painful.

13. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Wait, you have the game already!?

14. OurJud

:meh: TLoU is a two and a half-year old game.

15. Link the Writer

I've played The Last of Us. Really think it should've been a movie instead, I feel. :/ Though the plot was kind of predictable, I did like the concept behind it.

16. OurJud

Hold on, I think we have our wires crossed here. My reply about it being a two and a half-year old game was in reference to your (apparent) surprise that Acanthophis already owns the game.

17. Selbbin

I'm not big on stories in games. I put up with it in titles like Fallout, because I can ignore it and it does help build the world, but plots with cut scenes are incredibly annoying, especially in linear shoot-em ups. Just give me my objective, enemies, a place to do it all in, and let me figure out the rest. I'M my character, no need to give him or her some fucking backstory and dialogue and blah blah blah, stopping the fun and action all the time to tell me shit that I don't care about. If I wanted to watch a movie I would have put one on.

Acanthophis likes this.
  18. Acanthophis

Boy do I wish... :p

@Selbbin I tend to agree. Almost every game I own is open world, although I don't mind linear story-based games.

19. Doctore

Doctore Member

A bit ago I was considering going out and buy Fallout 3 again just to play it and relive the magic, THEN oh look Fallout 4 is out! Guess I won't need to buy it again after all huh?

20. 123456789

Guys, I'm not the bad guy. I'm not some Call of Duty loving bro who makes fun of rpgs. I get you guys. My favorite game of all time is Baldur's Gate 2, which is a thousand times more hardcore nerd than anything Bethesda has ever done, and I've never played Call of Duty.

I think a lot of times people get into arguments of genre, and then start pulling out the subjectivity card. Of course in that case it applies. But look, Madonna is pop. She's higher quality than Smash Mouth (rock). I'm not a genre guy. I'm a quality guy. And quality is something that is at least partially measurable.

I've played (but not beaten) the last three Elderscrolls, and I've played and beaten Fallout 3, and I bought but hardly touched Fallout New Vegas. My problem with Bethesda games is that the big environments do get to feel redundant and slightly pointless, and worse, the adventure starts to get bland when every enemy encounter is basically exactly the same, not to mention the dungeons are all incredibly generic. This is my problem with Bethesda games, and that is an objective complaint.

Look, I get it. You don't think stealing Ferarris and hitting up prostitutes in L.A (GTA V) is cool. You like fantasy worlds and post apocalyptic wastelands. So do I. This isn't a battle of genres for me. When I heard Fallout 4 was coming out, my interest was piqued just like yours, until I saw the trailer. Then I thought, "woah there, they're not only going to recycle their material within their game, they're now recycling their material from one game to the next!"

GTA vice city and Zelda Majora's mask are both examples of games that used the same graphics as their predecessors. Those games however were completely unique from their predecessors, and we knew this even before the game came out. I don't get this feeling with Fallout 4 because the art work and style looks just the same. Also, Fallout 3 game out like seven years ago, Vice City and Majora's mask came out a year or two after GTA 3 and Ocarina of Time, respectively. Anyway, we will see next week.

21. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

@123456789

I didn't post that for any debate purposes but damn that game had one smexy soundtrack and kick ass vibe. Hope they bring back that setting or something similar someday if they don't go entirely new. Ahhhhh 2002 was a nice year for video games. Vice City, Kingdom Hearts, Morrowind, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime and all sorts of wonderful things.

123456789 likes this.
  22. Selbbin

I'm just sayin' that I will enjoy playing it, and don't need constant evolution of graphics to be happy. Others do. Perhaps I'm a simpleton. But one with a happy salivating grin as I toy with sticking a scope on a handgun, even if it looks kinda shit.

23. Link the Writer

Nope, you said 'TLoU is two and a half years old'. You were talking about The Last of Us, not Fallout 4. The latter is what I was talking about.

24. OurJud

But your reply where you said "Wait, you have the game already!?" quoted a post by Acanthophis, in which he was talking about TLoU?

The sequence went:

1. You asked if TLoU was linear
    2. I replied to say it was
    3. Acanthophis then replied to say the same, but went into more detail
    4. You replied, quoting Acanthophis' description of TLoU and said "Wait, you have the game already!?"
    5. I replied about it being a two and half-year old game, because I was confused as to why you were so surprised that Acanthophis already owned the game.

25. Link the Writer

Dude, I...never said this. Where in this thread did I say this?