Fantasy book recommendations, please

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Elven Candy, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

My brother owns the Eragon series and loved it when he read it, but the books are so large I'm really intimidated to try:eek:. I'm currently working through the Pern series, and they have some really fantastic ideas in them! I like many of the characters--dragons included:D.

ETA: The funny thing is the Pern books are technically Sci-Fi, a genre typically too technical for me.

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

I second Anne McCaffrey!

I recommend:
    Mercedes Lackey

3. Elven Candy

I finally got around to looking up the latest books mentioned and picked out a few that might be what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone!

4. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

https://www.writingforums.org/articles/where-do-ideas-come-from-ill-tell-you/ This article really says what I want to say better than me. If you want to read in order to improve your writing, the best thing to do is broaden your horizons, taking everything on the "not" list and reading them in stead. Otherwise you are more likely to just copy someone else's work.
    Anyway, the Song of Ice on Fire is excellent for your criteria. Also, Dragonlance, a bit magicky, but as the title suggests, alot of dragons.

5. Elven Candy

I appreciate the thought, but that article doesn't really help me. I have plenty of ideas, and I haven't read enough in the fantasy genre for me to be "stuck in my genre." The items on my "not" list aren't negotiable (except magic, and I explained the "negotiations" the best I could).

Unfortunately, A Song of Ice and Fire has a lot of sexual content that really disinterests me in it., but I'll look into Dragonlance. Thanks!