1. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

How acceptable is this name? + bonus question

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Nighthunter, Dec 10, 2011.

Hello there!

First time poster, but i have been eying and reading some stuff for the last week or so.
    Now, I would like to see if i can become a part of this community, so i have a small question for a book I am working on.

First time writer, and I have been working on several versions of this story for the last 5 years really, but the core of the story dates back 10 years at least. The first two chapters, that nothing looks like what i have now and was about 200 words long each were written on a windows 95 comp when i was 11. But its only very recently that i have become proud of my work and started to think that i may actually be able to write a finished story.

First question then!
    I would like to know if i am the only one that has stories planned out in my head for several more books?
    I even have a series ending, that i know almost how it will work.
    Am i the only one or does others share this as well?

Second question!
    My main character, his name is quite...awkward i guess i should say, its the same as my user name - Nighthunter.
    This name has followed and been me since i was playing games, computer and physical.

This is a fantasy book, but I am still not sure, I love the name and i would like to use it.
    But, how acceptable do you guys and gals think it would be in a real book?

Thanks for having me on the forum! ^^
    Sincerely Night,

2. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Heya, Nighthunter. Welcome to the forum. :)

For your first question, a lot of people plan out the whole series. Some plan a lot, some only the basics. I am working on a book right now and have ideas for several other books. It's not really a series, though, but more several books in the same setting.

As for your second question, I think it depends on what the other people around him/her is called. Their names have to match his in style, in my opinion. I mean if they all have normal, english names, he should have an english name too. But if they all have names like Nighthunter, that name is fine for him. An alternative is if Nighthunter is a nickname. That would work fine with me, even if everyone else is called something "normal".

3. Vuor

Vuor New Member

Hi Nighthunter :) I'm new myself

I plan out the very basics, personally. But I know many people that go the whole nine yards, and plan every scene before they even start the story!

The name Nighthunter would be fine if everyone in your book has similar names, like WriterDude said. If they don't, then you could always use Nighthunter as a last name.

4. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

Thank you for the welcome!-

I guess i can reveal a bit more information!
    His full name is Nighthunter of Nox, he is the firstborn son of the current Nox Clan Lord.
    I am experimenting with it being his self given nickname, when he is letdown with his father, he sheds his old name and accepts this name.

Now, the other have no real English name, but they also dont have names that can be split into two already existing words.
    The problem i have with it being a nickname is that i dont know how i can ever create a name that will mean as much as Nighthunter to me.

But i dont want to alienate any reader because the name is off-putting ^^

5. WriterDude

Can you give us a few examples of names for other people in the Nox Clan, please?

6. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

Drackor, the Raven of Nox and reigning Clan Lord.
    Shacko or Shackor, second-born son of Drackor.
    Ilas, Captain of the Guard at Raven's Call, seat of the clan lord and capital of Nox Dominion.

There is a few more unnamed characters that exist - but as i have not named them yet, naturally i cant bring them up ^__^
    I am toying with the idea to rename the members of the Nox royal family in a similar vein, with two English words forming their name to make it feel more fluent, but as that is still in a very early process.

7. WriterDude

Thanks. Hm... Drackor, Shacko, Ilas and Nighthunter? The last one does sound a bit weird compared to the others. If you are worried about the name, what if he had a similar name to begin with, but shed it and took the name Nighthunter instead?

8. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

Yeah that is what I am considering,
    I have very little problem naming my other characters, I dont know if you like the others or not ^__^ - but that character is the one i am so very connected to - much harder to just pick a name, even if it will be shed, or had been shed before the events in the book takes place.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Nighthunter sounds more like a nicknamed, or an assumed name, or maybe even a title.

I have a hard time envisioning an earnest young couple, the wife having just given born to a new life and saying "Oh my god, he's so precious. Let's call him Nighthunter."

10. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

Alright, I appreciate the help!
    It is easy to get accustomed to the name when it has been used for such a long period of life.
    I could easily make it clearer into a nickname and spin more into why he has the name, even though it was not his birth name.

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I should point out, on reading the rest of the thread, that people make some good points, above. This is your fantasy world, and so you make the rules of society. It may be that in your world, Nighthunter would be a perfectly reasonable name for someone to choose for their child.

12. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

Yeah true, this is not an ordinary family either,
    The Clan lord and Lady Nox, they are leading the entire dominion - also, without spoiling to much and all that, the Nox Clan is known as savage and barbaric from the outsiders, that will interact with each other in various ways ^^

13. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Honestly, I can see Indians naming their child this. :p

14. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

I am just worried that the name will be too off putting for a main character ^^
    But I am so very connected to the name, tough :p

15. Alex W

Alex W New Member

Nightrunner is too simplistic and common i'm afraid, for me anyway. It doesn't fit the other names at all, and though you might really like the name, you should probably switch it out. I had to do this with a name I liked for my own book, it didn't fit and was replaced with a name that originated from Celtic language as that fit the story alot more.

Galran or something like that suits the style of names you've chosen there. Obviously i'm not suggesting you use that as i've just written that as a rough pointer, nighthunter sounds too simplistic and straight foward. That's just my humble opinion though :)

16. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

Yeah, I am beginning to have doubts - Now begin the terrible process of finding an name that can reach even half the importance to me as Nighthunter ^__^

17. Alex W

Alex W New Member

It doesn't necessarily have to be a name that has great importance to you, it just has to be a very good name for your story.

Unless you're putting someone who you're modelling on yourself etc, it shouldn't really be dictated by whichever name has as much importance to you in the real world. What you need to find is a name that fits the story and setting, while also being one you quite like too.

18. Raki

Raki New Member

I have to agree that Nighthunter sounds more like a nickname. Of course, you could make up a similar name that resembles the names of other characters (Drackor, Shackor, Ilas) but means Nighthunter or hunter of the night. Just a thought.

19. joanna

joanna Active Member

I have ideas for other stories I want to write in the future. I hear my characters tell me stories, or I see a scene in my head, and the voices or scenes stay in my mind until I write them.

The name is off putting to me. But I don't really read fantasy.

As a rule, if you want your character to have a strange name, there ought to be a damn good reason for it. Remember that your readers, if you intend on having any, have to deal with that name for the duration of the story.

20. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Ditto this. ^

21. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Another comment - watch that you aren't getting too attached to this character. Naming your character after yourself or your handle is considered a warning sign of a Mary Sue. Doesn't mean he will be, of course. Just take a look to see if the other characters are developed enough to stand on their own instead of acting as props for Nighthunter.

22. Pea

Pea super pea!

I agree with you here. My MC is based on a character I played in rpgs also, and sometimes it was difficult to differentiate the character's motivations for my own. It took awhile of writing before I managed to separate them in my head to two distinct personalities, so definitely watch out for it.

23. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I agree too, and then for the next story you'll have another main character and you'll have to find a different name for that one (if you didn't decided to write it as a series and nothing more after that, of course) and it doesn't seem wise to get that attached to a name. I think a writer need to be able to put a little distance between himself and the characters he's writing at some point.

24. Shifty

Shifty Member

I live in my head with my characters most of the
    I personally do not like this name. But don't change it unless you want to.
    Maybe it could be a description of his career rather than his actual name, i don't know if that would fit your story.
    Good luck.

25. iabanon

iabanon New Member

I find the name a bit 'naff' to be honest. But that said it could be very suitable to the style of the story. i can't tell. just be wary of silyl names though. they have to fit. i have a general rule of using very ordinary names for the most part. it avoids cliched made-up literary names that are obvious. i too have formed an attachment to a name, but only because it was so hilarious and the person who had it had been named 'Mr Leather '94' in some gay californian publication. nighthunter sounds like something out of fanfiction. and you don't want to go there. but i reiterate, it may very well suit your story.