Fantasy Novelist's Quiz

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Ommonite, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I have to disagree. From what I have learned bullets and arrows are very similar in damage dealt.

If shot in the upper body and arrow, even with less velocity, can still cause death in a single shot. Think about when arrows were used. A wound that, with proper modern medical attention, seems minor today would be a death sentence when they were used in the 1800's and before.

2. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Although you are disagreeing with the guy who burned me, I must say that even in the modern world, a single arrow to the chest can be deadly if the target is surrounded by orcs and can't reach the modern medical attention. Because in fantasy, magic could be sufficient of medical attention. Boromir died because he got hit with a billion arrows, not cus he didn't reach elven healing in time.

3. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

I don't know if others think the same as me.

To start with, I hardly think anyone should scrap a novel because they've used some of what is in the quiz. However, there's always a but isn't there?

If people use a fair bit of what is in the quiz (I'm not getting into numbers here), would it help their reputation or the first sale if a new novelist? If you ask me, people should do their best to strive towards creating something that is unique. Yes, most if not all stories have been told in one form or another, but what is wrong with creating fresh worlds and races?

What is wrong with trying to try create something original? Surely that should help a person's chances at being published? Or well, I guess not during this day and age as people want the tried and tested I guess. I just know there's quite a few people out there fed up of the fantasy genre and just as many who like reading the same old tripe again and again where you can predict everything.

This leads to more of the rubbish getting published and thus, creates a never-ending cycle. I do have a lot of respect for the folks that put time into the work and steer well away from the cliches.

However, that isn't to say everything containing some of what is used in the quiz is bad. I do enjoy an author who writes using the cliches but it probably isn't because of the same reasons as everyone else and I hardly treat it as serious work. Mainly, I enjoy the action scenes the author writes.

I guess what I'm getting at is I believe it only helps people if they don't use a lot of what is on the list.

Edit: All of the above was opinion obviously and if people have read articles in my portfolio (Arts & humanity section and the humor: fantasy from creative writing) or have seen posts from me here or anywhere else, you probably know which cliches I refer to above. However, there is one piece of advice I'd consider to be worth listening to. When writing trilogies or a series of books if you've indeed planned to, make sure you write the book so that the novel concludes itself and could be read stand-alone. Or better yet, don't plan a series from the outset. Conclude the novel but leave enough room for more books to follow.

4. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Uhh, what is the big deal? I actually kind of agree with the quiz more than not. Let's face it, there are a trainload of fantasy stories out there litered with cliches. I'm guilty. I think everyone is a little guilty. Maybe they were wrong for saying any 'yes' responses at all means one should abandon the novel point blank. Really, this should be looked at as a reality check... if you have many yes responses, then maybe you should rethink some of the aspects of your storyline. I just don't see what's so insulting about it. And, yes, I read through the entire quiz and mentally answered them according to a fantasy novel I have in the works. I still see it as a wake up call. A lot of us, whether we realize it or not, sometimes incorporate too much of a story we admire into our own writing. There's nothing wrong with it, but that doesn't make some story points any less cliche or overdone. Maybe making a few alterations can potentially help...

5. Ore-Sama

Ore-Sama New Member

The list was meant as a joke not to be taken seriously. Also some of the questions are so absurd and misguided that one could not possibly take it seriously, since you know, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

6. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I think this line gives it away as a joke:
    33. Is your name Robert Jordan and you lied like a dog to get this far?
    Of course a novel doesn't become cliché just because you have a forgetful wizard or mead-drinking barbarians in it. And many of the points don't have anything to do with being cliché, merely with bad writing (I find the one about using 'hit points' in your novel pretty funny).

To prove that the important thing is how you write it, I'll link to a story that deliberately uses the worst clichés in that test, but still is one of the most original fantasy stories I've read. It's obviously an amateur's work, but he quickly gets better and better, and I think the story develops into great drama.

Goblins - Life Through Their Eyes

7. alias

alias New Member

Haha, i might actually go through this list if I were planning a book, and tick it off. Funny and possibly true.

8. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

If only Christopher Paolini had been shown this list, just think how much pain and suffering could have been averted!

9. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Ha! Too true!!
    I thought it was alright. Pretty harmless at the end of the day - it's like a tick list of 75 (well 73 considering the last and that fab 33) things that people point out as marginally irritating about fantasy. If you're high fantasy, go with it and enjoy - people know what to expect and love it! If you're (what low fantasy?!?) 'modern' fantasy then maybe try to avoid a little more of tthe things on this list and if you're writing horror you're in the wrong place! Some of the questions that made me laugh (and bemused me a little):

24.Do you think that the only two uses for ships are fishing and piracy?
    Yes, the other option is of course travelling, but travelling’s boring you told me that already, oh masterful exam.

44.Have you done up game statistics for all of your main characters in your favorite RPG?
    No?(I think) What does that question mean anyway?:confused:

71. Is your story about a crack team of warriors that take along a bard who is useless in a fight, though he plays a mean lute?
    No, but why shouldn’t they – you’d take an ipod.

All in all it was quite good fun, killed a few minutes of work at least! :D

10. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

As in, have you given them statistics in, say, Dungeons and Dragons. (Althenia, the Warrior Princess, has 20 Strength and 17 Charisma, etc.)

11. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Its always funny to me when you see the stats for characters in the forgotten realms novels.

I sometimes say "my thief could kick Drizzt's butt, look at my stats and weapons"
    Oh well won't happen

12. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Does your story revolve around an ancient prophecy about “The One” who will save the world and everybody and all the forces of good? It's the opposite. The prophecy is about seven people who will destroy the world.

Do you think that the only two uses for ships are fishing and piracy? The only cool reasons.

Do you not know when the hay baler was invented? Now I do, from reading this thread. :cool:

Is this the first book in a planned trilogy? ...Yes...

Does anybody in your novel ever stab anybody with a scimitar? Yes, and what the heck kind of question is this? If there is a character with a scimitar, and he stabs someone, then its cliche? What the heck?

All in all, a good thing for people to look at just to make sure there book isn't too cliche.

13. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

1) Scimitars do not stab. They slash. Describing them as stabbing (and not in the context of a neophyte unfamiliar with the weapon using it incorrectly) displays ignorance of true historical facts, which is something this quiz seems to harp on. (See: OMG t3h Hay Baler!!11)

2) Drizzt.

3) $&#ing Drizzt.

That is all.

... stupid $#$@ing Drizzt

14. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Hey Drizzt kicks butt. I would have to say he is my favorite Novel hero. The guy is freaking awesome. do not doubt his way of the sword

15. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I liked Drizzt for about two and a half books.

Then he got a little old. After fifteen books, I'm actively rooting for him to get killed.

It doesn't help that anyone playing D&D now has to cope with innumerable teenagers wanting to play a renegade drow who is actually GOOD but no one believes him and he is tormented.

(I was particularly exasperated by Salvatore's attempts to milk Drizzt for racism points. Of course people reacted badly to him! His people are listed in the Monster Manual as "Always Lawful Evil!" They raid the surface and torture people in the name of their dark spider goddess! If you're writing in a world in which moral absolutes have a tangible form, then you're not allowed to play the prejudice card. Srsly.)

16. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Your post seems rather on the rough side, and I would suggest in the future that before you make these types of claims that you learn about what it is you are talking about.

Now I would go into a long drawn out explanation of the use of weapons and what have you, but teaching people about something they should research themselves before opening their mouth is not my burden.

I'll just give out a little tidbit that Scimitars Just like Japanese Samurai swords are primarily slashing weapons by design and style (a fun fact for you Fantasy authors is that almost ALL "swords" are slashing weapons by principal and design.. before you ask, YES, even those fencing rapiers are slashers) but most of those swords can also be used to stab with, (Imagine that) and with very unhealthy results to the recipient, surprise!

Only very few "sword like" weapons cannot be used to stab with, and most fantasy authors don't use them because they are not scimitars, claymores or long swords :p (I would advise against writing about a person stabbing someone with a claymore, but it can be (and I would bet has been) done in the right circumstance)

With that put out, it is an important lesson to every aspiring and established author that you should never get your idea of what is real or not from some misguided disdain for a fantasy series (like Drizzt, LOTR, Ergon, Sword of Truth, Etc) or this type of Quiz.

I would get into the Hay Bailer issue as well, but I am kind of typed out.

17. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I actually thought the only blades designed to primarily stab were daggers and spears. Correct me if I am wrong

18. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Ah, alright, I get it. Although, scimitars can stab.

And Drizzt is awesome, ok, just awesome.

19. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Did I say scimitars couldn't ever stab? No, only that they are primarily and properly used as a slashing weapon, and only someone who, through ignorance or lack of skill (or perhaps desperation) was using it sub-optimally would stab with it. Hence the inclusion of the item in the quiz which we are discussing.

I assure you, I have read sufficiently on swords to know about them, and was merely eliminating a long and drawn-out discussion on the various nuances and subtleties of swordplay to answer a simple question, i.e. why having scimitars stab someone might be on this quiz as a sign of a bad fantasy novel. The first reason is that they are designed to slash; the second is that Drizzt is very well-known and often imitated.

I will say that I don't appreciate your tone one bit. You want to criticize my writing, do it down in the Reviews section. You want to criticize my knowledge, do it without the condescension.

20. Ungood

Ungood New Member

I want to correct you, but at the same time I don't want to have to type up the post that would explain why I am correcting you. :p

Lets just say daggers are not so much 'designed to stab' as they just do the most damage to a person via stabbing them.

There is a whole deep rich history out there for people to learn about and explore, in may cases the learning is the lesson not so much just discovering what the final answer is. :)

Actually almost all swords and sabers can stab there is nothing special or unique about a scimitar in this regard.

Personally I am wondering what the fuss about a scimitar is?
    never mind, I just saw what the problem is, apparently this Drizzt fellow stabbed someone with a scimitar.

I mean a rapier is much less likely to be used for a good stabbing weapon as it would just bend back when it hit bone or some other hard part like a brooch or even heavy fabric, yet I see people writing about people stabbing with a rapier in stories, movies and comic books all the time with no one batting an eyelash, yet all this fuss about a Scimitar?

Proof again why people should ignore this test and study the reality behind things.

21. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

ok from what i have read about usage in battle on daggers and spears they are thrusting weapons.

They are not designed to be used in a slashing manner. Please check the avatar and understand the passion. lol

22. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Wait, I know we're getting off topic here, but I think I should correct that. I'm not a genius by any means, but I am a fencer, and I do have a little knowhow of how various blades work.

It was my understanding that the rapier, a precursor to the modern three blades of fending today (foil, epee, saber), was developed particularly for stabbing. Well, stabbing isn't the right word, but more like thrusting. I was under the notion that the rapier developed for thrusting into the exposed points in opponents' armor, before becoming the gentleman's tool completely. Though it does have two edges and can be used for slashing, I was always under the impression it was used equally -- if not more -- for thrusts and lunges. Also, compared to the modern fencing swords, a rapier is quite sturdy and will definitely not bend on impact. That, I'm pretty confident about.

Again, I can't say this certainty, but I do fence, so I thought I could offer my two cents.

23. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Ummm... I mean you no offense but epee is just the French word for rapier. :confused:

Hummm. Now I am going to have to look into this more. There seems to be some confusion. Might be just a time/era issue as the rapier did evolve quite a bit over time.

24. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Well, if you're going to be pedantic, épée is actually French for "sword."

However, it's fairly obvious that he was referring to the fencing weapon, which is, within the sport, referred to as an épée rather than a rapier. Your "correction" is akin to pointing out to a basketball player that "court" was originally a word meaning "an enclosed plot of ground" and "Why are they calling that playing field a court?"

25. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Guys, really calm down.

Scattercat was right when he said I was referring to the modern fencing sword by the word "epee" (sorry, but my keyboard doesn't have the right accents). And though I thought Scattercat's analogy with basketball funny, it was hardly necessary and is quite mean spirited.

Anyways, Ungood, if you want to research the rapier, that's fine. From my experience, I am confident that the rapier is used for both thrusting and slashing. Also, I am confident that most rapiers bend hardly at all, or not at all. Just think of the thickness and size/shape of the blade while compared to its modern equivalents, as well as consider the metallurgy of the time rapiers were in use. Even in modern fencing, a blade that will bend considerably and return to its normal shape without breaking in a week will cost a person around 90 dollars (the blade, not the whole sword).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.