1. Wade_John

Wade_John New Member

Chuck Palaniuk

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Wade_John, Jun 9, 2009.

Hi all,

does anyone know the best book by Chuck Palaniuk? Pygmy (2009) actually kinda interest me. I've never read his books before

cheers :D

2. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Start with Fight Club, it's the most accessible and easy to get into that I've read so far - probably because I've seen the movie 6 or 7 times now.

I'm getting Palahniuk-fever again. I should read another book from him.

3. Wade_John

Wade_John New Member

probably you should check out "Pygmy". Looks interesting and funny. It is only available on hardcover atm.

4. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I'll probably go for Haunted. I've wanted to read that for a while now.

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

Don't start with Pygmy.

Actually, unless you're a pretty hardcore fan, don't read Pygmy at all.

His most ambitious work, yes, his most successful? Not by a loooong shot.

(I got an advance proof copy about a month or so ago, and read it in a day....its pretty compelling, and quite original, and its very un-PC and graphic, so it will at least satisfy fans he already has, but the writing style is veeeery.....unusual....and very laborious to read....)

As to what to read first, I would have to disagree with the good doctor....Fight Club is nowhere near his most accessible, in fact, in some places (due to the subject matter, which ill try not to give away...) its quite difficult to comprehend. And the movie is much better (even the author agrees). I would probably recommend Lullaby as his easiest/most accessible read, as well as being an extremely funny and well-written book with a pretty awesome concept and great Palahniuk characters...

Rereading what I wrote about Pygmy, it seems a little harsh....if you enjoy original, inventive contemporary fiction, and have a strong stomach, and aren't from a Communist country in SE Asia/aren't easily offended by racist stereotypes...you'll probably quite like it because it is very different and very...ambitious...if grammar mistakes make a book unreadable for you (deliberate though they may be)....steer well clear...

6. Wade_John

Wade_John New Member

how could that grammar mistakes can be tolerated? :D

7. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I don't know, Fight Club was easier for me to read than Diary or Lullaby, but I've been meaning to go back and read the latter again anyway, as I feel I missed something somewhere along the line with that one.

8. Emilie

Emilie New Member

I started with Survivor, personally, then Lullaby. Haven't read anything else by him yet, but fully intend to after I get through the other 9000 books on my to-read list. XD I loved Survivor, Lullaby not as much, but they're both good reads. Palahnuik is hard to follow at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Very minimalistic.

9. Wade_John

Wade_John New Member

maybe a question out of the context. I am so desperate to read the "pygmy", but it is only available on hardcover. Any idea how long usually it will turn to paperback? :D

10. arron89

arron89 Banned

6 months, roughly...ask me again in a few months, ill keep an eye out in the publishing promotion stuff we get...

11. arron89

arron89 Banned

actually, it should already be out in paperback, but large format...maybe its different in USA? in asia/pacific, its being released only in paperback....still like NZ$40....

12. Wade_John

Wade_John New Member

you work at a bookshop arron89?thats nice if you do

anyway, i'm in australia. i'll wander around bookshops around next week

13. arron89

arron89 Banned

lol work in bookshops is not the dream come true people (including me, before I got the job) imagine it to be.....long hours, unreasonably high expectations of customers, minimum wage, and endlessly tempting ways to spend your money all the time....its hell, i tell you.....on the other hand, discounted books and advance access to proofs......not so bad after all....