1. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

Favorite Music

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BatCountry, Jul 23, 2008.

Well, there are a couple of threads asking what music you are currently listening to, but nothing about what bands or genre of music you like to listen to. So you can use this for it if you want. Tell us your favorite genre(s) of music and your favorite bands for each one. Feel free to discuss music also. But please don't say anything like "Your band sucks" or whatever.

So I'll start out then.

My favorite genre's of music are: Alternative rock and metal, nu metal, heavy metal, metalcore, hard rock, emo, soft rock and punk.

My favorite bands are:
    Lostprophets, Avenged Sevenfold, God Or Julie, Slipknot, Thousand Foot Krutch, Dashboard Confessional, Yellowcard, Linkin Park. But I do listen to a huge variety.

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Every Kind of Heavy metal, from Nu to Grind core (except Emo - wait, that’s not heavy)

Favourite bands

Opeth, Slipknot, Nightwish, Nevermore, Static-X, Disturbed, KoRn (Follow the leader only - i must get that across), Deep Purple, Sepultara, Meshuggah, In Flames, Linkin Park (COnspiracy Theory only), Carcass, Drowning Pool, Cannibla Corpse, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Trivium, Machine Head, Motor Head, Arch Enemy, Impending Doom, Pentara, Mudvanyne, Fear Factory, System of a Down, Iron Maiden..

Just to name a few

oh and going against the trend I LOVE (loved, sadly before the lead singer got into drugs), a band called Days of the New.... was only 16 when he wrote and toured, then a few years later found an evil drug called ice.

3. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

Out of all of those bands you listed I've listened to Slipknot (new album coming in august), Static-X (side project of lead singer of Thousand Foot Krutch), Disturbed, a little bit of Korn, and Linkin Park.

I rather like Slipknot's new style

4. Speedy

Its Slipknots last ever album, so it better be good. Their trying to be more "euro" this time, which i just dont think they will pull off.

I think Corey will hold a good record on how fast can one screw up ones vocal cords.

5. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

I listen to almost anything except jazz, opera and very hard music. Favourites at the moment are, in no particular order, Nightwish, Robbie Williams, Killswitch Engage, H.I.M, Poets Of The Fall, Darren Hayes, Savage Garden, Mötley Crüe, AC/DC, Sonata Arctica etc etc.

6. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? New Member

Recently I've found a guy who mixes orchestral music with techno and sometimes rock. Suprisingly, the outcome is amazing. It may sound weird, but it's cool when a score fades out and then techno grinds away. Fortunately, their are no lyrics, otherwise it would sound off kilter.

7. lessa

lessa New Member

I will listen to all types for a while.
    My favourites are the 60's.
    new country, big band and war tunes from wwII.
    Children's songs and Christmas carols.

I love gilbert and sullivan operettas.
    The andrew sisters, Dean Martin,

I really dislike the groups that swear with every other word.
    I don't think it adds to the songs.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, that's not true. This thread appears frequently, and then drifts away as other topics eclipse it. But no matter - just create another one...

9. Speedy

Im not disagreeing, i just think for some fans, it adds passion (which can seem odd or wierd etc), especially if your music comes with moshpits and crowd surfing ;)

10. Necromortis

Necromortis New Member

A lot of metal, classical music (especially if played on the guitar), and conscious hip hop. And then the sprinkling of random bands.

Metal: Tyr, Ensiferum, Nightwish, Opeth, Einherjer, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom (earlier stuff, and then his vocals still bug me), In Flames (earlier stuff), Dark Tranquillity, At the Gates, Arch Enemy, Bathory, Belenos, Otyg, Vintersorg, Falconer, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Finntrol, Folkearth, Falkenbach, Kamelot, etc. etc. There are many more.

Hip hop: Army of the Pharaohs, Bliss n Eso, Hilltop Hoods, Living Proof, Debaser, Sandpeople, Eminem's older stuff, D12, Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, Sage Francis, Hell Razah, Killah Priest, Masta Ace, Pigeon John, Pegz, Atmosphere, The Roots, Sean Price, Strong Arm Steady, Talib Kweli, Tech N9ne, X-Clan, and Xzibit's older stuff. And many more.

~Christian

11. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

My favourite genre is Indie, and Muse are a massive favourite for me. I also like Keane, Editors, The Killers etc etc However my style is quite ecclectic- I have songs I like in most genres.

However my favourite band is Globus. They are a group owned and run by Immediate music who make music for films- like the really epic orchestral trailer music. I believe they did one of the spiderman trailers, and Harry Potter 5. Globus use Immediate musics movie scores and 'rock them up' adding vocals, guitar, bass and drums, on top of the already 80 peice orchestra and 100 strong choir (these are rough estimates.) Their sogns are in English, Latin and Arabic. They have the most amazing epic sound.

12. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

classical- violin pieces mostly (i used to play.)

13. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

My number one favorite style would be instrumental rock; Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson and the like. That's the style of music I'm going to play when I save up enough for my own electric guitar.

Close after that, I love 80's rock. Poison, Motley Crue, Mr. Big... A lot of people I know hate this kind of music, but I simply can't get enough.

But this man, Jun Senoue, I put in a class of his own. I love everything about his music. He's an instrumentalist like Satch, but also in a more typical rock group called Crush 40. I say "more typical" because I haven't really found another band that sounds like they do.

Here's an example of my perfect song, played by Mr. Senoue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Vk9xfceMM

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I like it when people play the piano and sing along with it, I think it is amazing how they can do that. Two of my favourites are Regina Spektor and Kate Nash.

I also like all of the dancey music that is out, like really retro sounding as if it is from the 80's. Alphabeat, the Ting Tings, Destination Unknown, Utah Saints. And a little rave when I am in the mood, although I couldn't name you any of the MC's any more, I am not that with it at the moment. :p

I like older styles aswell, Sting and the Police rock my socks, that woman who sings Total Eclipse of the Heart and Queen are just groovy.

15. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I love all kinds of music, except most rap and country. When it comes to rock I primarily listen to punk, metal, and classic. I like techno, especially the kind that gets stuck in your head. Funk is always good to listen to and when I need to cool down I like to listen to big band. When I play my Ipod on shuffle it's interesting how it will go straight from Slayer to Louie Armstrong. :p

16. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, and Alternative Rock (all of a Christian influence, I use to listen to all metal and rock, but due to some events in my life, I felt I needed to do this). I also like Classical music.

Bands:

Demon Hunter, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, The Showdown, FAIR, East West, Becoming the Archetype, and Disciple.

I also love me some Trans Siberian Orchestra and Johnny Cash.

17. Harmire

Harmire New Member

I like to listen to Chill music, and my favorite band would probably be Thievery Corporation. I listen to much more than just that though, I have 25k+ songs in iTunes :D.

18. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Nooooooooooo! Ever since they did a horrible cover of Prong's Snap Your Fingers, Snap You Neck, I cannot for the life of me respect them.

19. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

sorry :redface:

20. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

I'll agree a little, i don't like it if every other word is a swear word. Slipknot's latest album is their only album not to have a parental advisory sticker on it. Critics always say the lead singer (Corey Taylor - also lead singer of Stone Sour) has to use the 'f' word in his songs. So he wanted to prove them wrong. But swearing does put a little bit more passion into the music.

21. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

They're a great orchestra, and I think they donate a penny for every dollar they earn from their concerts to charity.

22. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

I'm not completely sure what Indie means... I thought it meant a band that is under the radar, but now it changed so I'm not completely sure about it.

23. Speedy

Sadly it was wikied ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_music

24. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

Indie is a shortened term for Indie Rock, which is technically fake indie. Indie Rock (the actual definition of Indie in music seems to have been usurped) is big studio-produced music with an independant style. Bands like Editors, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs etc are all bands signed to major labels, but produce a sound in the style of independant music.

I suppose it's pretty ironic really, that independant had become the mainstream. I guess that's just how it works.

25. Speedy

Well thats how music goes doesnt it? kind of like fashion (well it is fashion i guess)

Whats cool, suddenly loses interest. And whats small suddenly swells in crowd.