Favorite Quotes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Miller0700, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Captain: Rocinante, this is your final warning...

Alex: Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm sorry to be such a pain, boys, um, but, uh... Our power problems, they've been so, uh... Ubiquitous and... Mendacious and polyglottal....Like a couple of donkey balls.

2. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

"Almost everything I've written that has survived was written when I didn't try to get anything done." -Nassim Taleb

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Dr. Motahary was an Islamic revolutionary religious philosopher and writer with a comprehensive study about most of the old and new ideologies and a wide insight in the theology, anthropology, sociology and other fields. Due to his high knowledge and science, he was able to answer every philosophic, ideological and religious question that the new generation had in these cases. He wrote more than hundred book and had a lot of lectures in the relative sessions and convocations. He also was one of the professors of Tehran university a few years.
    I chose a few of his short words and translated them to English:

[​IMG];

There are connections between science and will. At the condition that science is used for storage of knowledge and information it doesn’t change the quality of man. The science that changes the quality of man is not formulas, news and cases, it is the change of way of intellection, judgments and values.

One of the basic pillars of man’s character is the strength, constancy and discipline of his thought.

The action that is based on pretending and hypocrisy, its damages is more than its benefits.

Everybody is the manager of himself and the responsible of his fortune.

If the social spirit is presented and the society is alive and lively, the cooperation and sympathy will exist in the society, without any doubt.

Woman is the creator of love (mother), love is the creator of man and man is the creator of history and it is the observer of the direct role of woman in building history.

Women were not just the breeder of men and the feeder of their body in the history, but they were the inspiring and propellant of men and also complementary of their manhood.

The majority of the deviations and miseries that threat nowadays human is that, he wishes science apart from faith.

Justice is a general law and a whole manager and the leader that includes all society; and is a highway that all people must move on it. But forgiveness and benignity are the exceptional and non-general states that society cannot count on them.

In the opinion of Koran, man is a being that either is able to possess the universe and take angels under his command or can fall down to the lowest degree of villainy. It is man himself that should determine and specifies his final fate.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Cave Troll and cydney like this.
  4. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

5. cydney

cydney Banned

Concession speeches on my mind this morning, I did a search & found a couple of excellent quotes:

“Life with Ilona was invariably lived on two levels, or rather in two simultaneous and parallel directions. On the one hand, your feet were always on the ground, you were always intelligently but not obsessively alert to what each day offered in response to the routine question of surviving. On the other hand, imagination and unbounded fantasy suggested a spontaneous and unexpected sequence of scenarios that were always aimed at the radical subversion of every law ever written or established. This was a permanent, organic, rigorous subversion that never permitted travel on the beaten path, the road preferred by most people, the traditional patterns that offer protection to those whom Ilona, without emphasis or pride but without any concessions either, would call "the others.”
    Álvaro Mutis, The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll

And another (I really like this one.):

"You may gain temporary appeasement by a policy of concession to violence, but you do not gain lasting peace that way." -- Author: Anthony Eden

6. cydney

cydney Banned

“America, I know we have our problems. I realize that the scale and our waistline
    are foremost among them. I’m willing to make concessions, I really am. I drink, and prefer, skim milk. I’ll take water packed tuna over oil packed tuna any day. I can stomach low-fat ranch or I-Can’t-Believe-It’s-Not-Anything. I’ll even look the other way on sugar free ice cream (believe me that one hurts), but I’ll be darned if I’m gonna let somebody take my delicious delicious pig fat from me. I’d rather die.”
    Aaron Blaylock, It's Called Helping...You're Welcome

Oscar Leigh and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    "I want you to understand I shall not hold you to any midaevil code of faithfulness to me nor shall I consider myself bound to you similarly."

-Amelia Earhart, in a letter to her future husband on the eve of their marriage

8. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H. L. Mencken

9. Rainer

Rainer Member

If I wanted to watch idiots talk shit I'd go round my nan's house.

I can't remember who said it. I think it was my friend Keith.

cydney likes this.
  10. cydney

cydney Banned

“She didn't quite know what the relationship was between lunatics and the moon, but it must be a strong one, if they used a word like that to describe the insane.”
    Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die

11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Stole this from Terry Pratchett's facebook...:supergrin:
    TerryPratchett.jpg

12. Earp

"What’s the difference between ISIS and social justice warriors? Well, one recruits its members from the most pathetic, disaffected, pathological members of society, claims to stand against shadowy conspiracies and bullying by the West, and destroys revered cultural institutions in fits of fanaticism.

The others are unhinged terrorists in the Middle East ..."

- Mytheos Holt

13. Optimism Senpai

Optimism Senpai New Member

"If you don't have anything nice to say, you're not trying hard enough" -Kid President

14. PrincessBLJack

PrincessBLJack New Member

15. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

"When others are persecuted, restrain yourself from casting the first stone. At that point, their reflexes are usually at their peak. Cast the fourth or fifth, their concentration is usually broken by then." - The writer formerly known as M. E.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Earp

"If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough."

- Muhammad Ali

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    "Don't fuck this up, you magnificent cunt!"

-Ferguson- Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  18. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

"Those are the titaliens. They are human like creatures who are almost always adorned with massive breasts, despite the fact that they have evolved on a planet very far away from Earth. Bonus points if they have oddly colored skin or some other useless biological trait. Why, you ask? Well, the science-fiction nerds who read this book have to masturbate to something."
    -Watchword.

19. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    "The room looked like the site of some disastrous zoological experiment involving whiskey and gorillas."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Earp

Re-reading On the Road ,,,

“I realized these were all the snapshots which our children would look at someday with wonder, thinking their parents had lived smooth, well-ordered lives and got up in the morning to walk proudly on the sidewalks of life, never dreaming the raggedy madness and riot of our actual lives, our actual night, the hell of it, the senseless emptiness.”

- Jack Kerouac

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  21. Scot

Scot Senior Member

Do they have to be literary quotes?

I heard one of my daughters saying this to her son who had fallen and grazed his knees.

"It's a long way from your backside. You don't have to sit on it."

It was a favourite saying of my grandmother, though she would have said "arse". It moved me to think of my granny's sympathetic nature being passed on through the generations. :meh:

Komposten and BayView like this.
  22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"silly little dame , you will fall backwards when you have more sense" Nursey in Romeo and Juliet

Oscar Leigh and Iain Aschendale like this.
  23. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributor Contributor

"They don't want this to stop. It employs too many people. Cops, lawyers, judges, probation officers, prison guards... The day dope stops coming into this country, a hundred thousand people lose their jobs." - From "American Gangster"

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  24. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

"Self importance is the carrot juice (fuel) of any declining empire."

bugs bunny (well, not really the one and only)

"Some people know what time it is, and some people don't."

General Motors factory worker

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  25. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

"They laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at them because they're all the same." Kurt Cobain