Tags:
  1. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Today I learned...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Louanne Learning, Nov 24, 2023.

This thread is for sharing interesting things you learned today.

I'll start.

Today I learned about the existence of fitness expert Betty Brosner, born August, 1929, still alive. She was a bodybuilder, and was one of the biggest pin-up girls of the 1950s.

[​IMG]

Kur, HemlockCordial, PiP and 2 others like this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Lol—Rocky Marciano; sparing partner.

Kur, KiraAnn, HemlockCordial and 3 others like this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'd let her win.

Kur, Set2Stun and Louanne Learning like this.
  4. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

The US has an estimated 9 million feral hogs in 36 states that cause $2.5 billion in agricultural losses. A sounder of feral hogs can devour ten acres of corn in a single night and a feral hog can take down an adult whitetail deer. They have a short gestation period of only 114 days, an average litter of 4-12 piglets, and their females can get pregnant at 6 months of age.

Kur and Louanne Learning like this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I just noticed the "Five Reddest Reds in America" above the title. Definitely at the height of McCarthyism.

6. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

And I also learned that a group of feral hogs is called a "sounder" !

Kur and Catrin Lewis like this.
  7. Louanne Learning

The "Red Scare" has sorta taken on a new meaning in the present-day

Kur likes this.
  8. Louanne Learning

In 1940, George Orwell reviewed Hitler's Mein Kampf.

An excerpt from that review:

https://bookmarks.reviews/george-orwells-1940-review-of-mein-kampf/

Madman and Seven Crowns like this.
  9. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    I hope this isn't cheating, but yesterday I learned that there are some little islands very close to Newfoundland that are actually part of France:

Capture.JPG

There's a fun one for trivia night. The Treaty of Paris in 1763 is where France gave up their holdings in Canada to England, but they were allowed to keep these islands so they could continue their fishing operations along the coast of Newfoundland. England reoccupied the islands a few times during subsequent conflicts, but the French resettled them in 1816, and they've remained French since then.

Kur, HemlockCordial, AntPoems and 2 others like this.
  10. Louanne Learning

And if you look along the north coast, you will see a lot of communities with French names. This dates back to the days of the French Shore

https://salutcanada.ca/en/listings/french-shore-memory-of-the-french-fishery-in-newfoundland-and-labrador/

Set2Stun likes this.
  11. Louanne Learning

Today I learned that there was never any official protest from the U.S. government on the subject of Vietnam War draft dodgers coming to Canada. During the years 1965-1973, Canada accepted these draft evaders as legitimate immigrants, and the U.S. government put no pressure on Canada as a result of it, no diplomatic backlash, not a word.

‘Hell, they’re your problem, not ours’: Draft Dodgers, Military Deserters and Canada-United States Relations in the Vietnam War Era

Set2Stun likes this.
  12. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    That's neat, I never really thought about it for some reason. I assumed if they ever tried to return to the States, they'd be arrested. But there doesn't seem to have been any attempts to extradite them.

Just a neat aside - my parents befriended a draft dodger when he moved to our community. He started a successful business (I worked for him for one summer), and later in life he entered politics, serving as an MP for seven years. The States' loss, I guess !

Louanne Learning likes this.
  13. Louanne Learning

That would have been the case up to January 21, 1977. That was President Jimmy Carter's first full day in office, and on that day he granted unconditional pardons to hundreds of thousands of men who had evaded the draft during the Vietnam War. Needless to say, the decision was controversial at the time. Of the 100,000 who had moved to Canada, only about half of them went back to the States.

I think draft evaders would be a principled lot!

Set2Stun likes this.
  14. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

People with admirable principles stood on both sides of the divide that was Vietnam. Principles ranged from,"Avoid dying in a senseless military action that the French have already proven can't be won" to a genuine willingness to risk life and limb in the service of others. My cousin died in action a few days after he arrived in-country. He was nineteen and newly married.

15. Earp

The swivelling office chair was invented by Thomas Jefferson. The office chair with wheels was invented by Charles Darwin.

16. Louanne Learning

Darwin evolved it. :D

Kur and Seven Crowns like this.
  17. Earp

The US government owns 261 million ounces of gold.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  18. Louanne Learning

I had to look up the value of that. The figure I found is from 2021.

Total fine troy ounces is 261,498,926.241 - for a total book value of 11,041,059,957.90

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/reports-statements/gold-report/21-02.html

19. Earp

By tradition, military and police K9 dogs hold one rank higher than their handlers.

AntPoems, Madman and Louanne Learning like this.
  20. Louanne Learning

That reminded me of a story I read about a police dog that was forced to write up a police report so his handler wrote the report on behalf of his canine partner.

[​IMG]

https://www.police1.com/international/articles/officer-criticized-for-writing-police-report-on-behalf-of-k-9-u0ZAlT9NyKXP08Su/

21. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Kur, Louanne Learning and Set2Stun like this.
  22. Louanne Learning

23. Louanne Learning

Today I learned that in the song Don't Bring me Down, by Electric Light Orchestra, that Jeff Lynne does not sing "Don't being me down, Bruce." but "Don't bring me down, groos."

Seven Crowns likes this.
  24. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

Set2Stun and Louanne Learning like this.
  25. Louanne Learning