1. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca

Sleep Patterns

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ariella, Feb 27, 2007.

Have you ever noticed that once you get into a regular sleep pattern it is very hard to change it.

For example, with premature babies, they have to be woken up and fed every 3 hours and continue to do so for quite some time (well from my experiences they do anyways), night security guards, once they retire, even after a few years still find that they have trouble sleeping at night.

I got into a sleep pattern when my son was born 2 months early and now I only sleep between 30 minutes and 4 hours at a time and now that I have my daughter it makes it very hard to get any extra sleep in so I usually just drift off to sleep when she is ready to start waking up.

Does anyone else here have troubles sleeping and if so what do you do whilst you are awake all night? Do you have any remedies to help you get to sleep?

Ariella

2. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Well, I dont have problems that are that bad BUT I find that if you try to go back to sleep for more than five minutes after waking up in the night its not going to work. Try for five minutes then get up. Try reading or something until you feel weary, not just tired but weary. It should take you half hour to an hour but you should get to sleep easily after that!

Hope this helps!

3. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    When I've had to change my sleep schedule rapidly I usually take drastic actions.
    I wake up normally the day before, than I stay awake for at least 24 hours. At that point you should be ready to drop. Then go to sleep using the new schedule, you should fall asleep fairly quickly and easily.
    You'll be groggy the first few days, but by the end of the week at the latest you should have a proper sleep schedule. You're body will still occasionally nag and say your not sleeping properly, but that shouldn't be a huge problem.

4. Myst

Myst Active Member

Domoviye is probably some kind of quasi-revolutionary cyborg, that's why he can do whatever he does.

Anyway I got into a late sleeping pattern and the only advice to give is to consciously make an effort to sleep at the times you ideally want to sleep at. Eventually your body will adapt. It may take a while, though.

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Am not. Theres nothing revolutionary about me, I'm actually very law abiding I'll have you know.
    I just did this type of thing because I had university during the week that was during the daytime, and a night shift weekend job. So if I wanted to do well in either I had to repeatedly change my sleep schedule radically. After a few times I even stopped feeling groggy afterwards.

6. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    well I have tried many things now to help create some form of sleep pattern but nothing has worked so far.

Althoug I don't really mind all that much anymore, kinda got used to it now and don't really get tired and when ya have sick kids it makes it easier cause you aren't all grumpy cause you need sleep.

Ariella

7. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I have horrible sleeping habits. By nature I am a night owl. I hate going to bed early; I always feel like I'll miss something. So, when I have to go to work early in the morning, I've usually only gotten a maximum of four hours of sleep. Then when I get home I'll take a nap, which will cause me to stay up late again, starting the whole process over.

Really, it's just due to poor discipline. If I went to bed early, though, I would miss so many good times with friends. Being a little tired at work is a small price to pay for all the good times we've had at the 24 hour diner.

8. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Not being able to get back in a proper sleeping schedule sucks! Happend to me awhile back. Domo's theory works but it is harsh. If your not up for that i suggest just laying down and trying to sleep at the times you want. You may not fall asleep but resting is a good step in the right dirction. Your body will be so used to the rests that it yearns for it and will be ready to relax faster leading to sleep sooner? dont know if that made any sense but I cant seem to word it right lol.....and here i am on a writing website......dang

9. nevermore

nevermore New Member

Have you ever tried aromatherapy...try burning oils in your room, lavender I think...not sure will look it up for you and let you know...

~nevermore

10. Vroom Vroom Daddy

Vroom Vroom Daddy New Member

I find the 24 hour thing works but those last 12 are an ordeal. I've been working shifts that start at 5:30 am for so long that I wake up at four in the morning no matter what day it is or how tired I am. My advice is that unless you have a reason to change then just deal with it. Good news is that the kids get older and it gets easier to catch a nap.

11. Handguns For Hearts

Handguns For Hearts New Member

I'm a night owl.

Holy crap, it's almost 4 AM. xD