1. Arrakna

Arrakna New Member

Introvert Main Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Arrakna, Aug 4, 2008.

I am referring to him as the "Main Character" rather than the "Hero".

When I started making notes for my plot, I realized that I wasn't really taking my MC's characteristics into mind, I gave him a wife in the early draft, but then I thought I might change this due to his personality.

What I have had set on my character being was an idea I have had in my head since the beginning despite any plot changes. I only now that he is the opposite to many "perfect" attributes typically perceived, but perhaps a cause for concern that I need to get the balance right.

So far in my mind he is;
    - Of short stature
    - Near-zero people skills (emphasis more on a lack of people skills, rather than raw 'anti-social' hostility, but perhaps uses slightly more cold gestures to mask it)
    - If you could imagine his 'spirit' or internal workings it would be like the "ying & yang" symbol, the black representing evil and the white, good.
    This would be the idea that under the hard-to-reach exterior of the character some can see glimpses of a good person trying to get out, but then again there is another, darker side waiting to get out also.

This could manifest itself as the character eventually getting caught in a "limbo" of moments of good and bad deeds, but always conflicting with the bad and aiming to be good and in that sense, that is what makes him the "good" guy in the end.

But what do you think of the idea (not this character in general) of a main character who isn't really a character of many words, or 'quality' interactions with people, but rather awkward ones and even rather introverted in his own right, but this giving more room to improve and develop on also.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Your idea for a character is perfectly fine. Actually, any type of person can potentially be a main character. The fact that he is introverted and has no social skills shouldn't stop you from making him the main character.

3. rumplestiltzkin

rumplestiltzkin New Member

Agreed.......just make sure how you portray them. What's important is to make them believable, and if you do that with any character, usually you can pull it off. Of course, that's the hardest part of writing...*grumble*

4. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Yeah, it sounds interesting. I've read stories with an introvert as the main character; in fact, my main character is somewhat of an introvert. I like the dark side trying to come out part. :cool:

5. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

Sounds like a more interesting main character - i'd prefer to read about that provided it was written well, rather than a more stereotypical one :)

6. Ladder Writer

Ladder Writer New Member

Absolutely I agree, there are many great books where the protagonist is almost unlikeable - for example in one of Orwells' books Keep the Aspidistra Flying, the protagonist is a grumpy depressed little man. Often the character learns something about himself or his life, but don't go for any dramatic character changes, I think experiences which will affect him subtly are often the way to go, but obviously it depends on your plot..