1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet Senior Member

Favorite Writing Technique

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TragicJuliet, Dec 17, 2009.

I absolutely positively love alliteration, I have no idea why. But, when ever I see or hear it I just have to shout "Alliteration!" It's such an over looked writing technique. Does anything have something like that? Where you just have a general soft spot for something in the wonderful writing world?

2. hszmv

hszmv Member

I love a third person/ first person shift, where the third person describes the action and dialog, the facts, if you will, and the first person describes the (usually) main character refelcting on the facts. I enjoy the use of multiple perspectives in a scene, and some times the "first person" voice over will be two guys talking about during the aftermath of the current "third person" perspective, either to give us a time line of events, or to give a statistic about the event the reader needs to know, but is hard to qualify in the heat of the moment (i.e. in Third Person, a bomb goes off and the MC of the scene will say it was very hot. The first person voice over will quantify this by saying a sensor recorded a peak temp of 4000 degrees.)

I also tend to write as if the chapter is one particular episode in a TV series and the book is more of a DVD collection of the series. Each Chapter is really a short story giving a little bit of information for the over all plot of the book. I also relish a good cliff hanger mid action sequence. One of my best ended the book in the hero losing a telekinetic fight in a (still flying, mind you) ripped open airplane cabin.

3. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet Senior Member

That's kinda cool, I've heard of that being used sometimes but not a lot. It probably makes writing each chapter a bit easier too because you have a beginning, middle and an end

4. hszmv

hszmv Member

It works for me because I tend to write Superhero stuff, and this way, I can write an entire Rogues Gallery instead of just one over all bad guy.

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

This is probably my favorite way to tell a story. I have actually thought of doing something similar for a group of characters I created. While there would be an overall plot, it would be broken up as different stories. One would have them facing against giant Ogres in an attempt of helping a small village. While a different chapter would focus on them exploring some mystery of a cave. (its a high fantasy story)

I suppose one of my favorite examples is the season 4 of Doctor Who. Through out the season you have these seperate adventures all the while a common things keep popping up. The Bees and planets disapearing. All leading up to a single event.