1. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet Senior Member

Favorite Writing Technique

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TragicJuliet, Dec 17, 2009.

I absolutely positively love alliteration, I have no idea why. But, when ever I see or hear it I just have to shout "Alliteration!" It's such an over looked writing technique. Does anything have something like that? Where you just have a general soft spot for something in the wonderful writing world?

2. hszmv

hszmv Member

I love a third person/ first person shift, where the third person describes the action and dialog, the facts, if you will, and the first person describes the (usually) main character refelcting on the facts. I enjoy the use of multiple perspectives in a scene, and some times the "first person" voice over will be two guys talking about during the aftermath of the current "third person" perspective, either to give us a time line of events, or to give a statistic about the event the reader needs to know, but is hard to qualify in the heat of the moment (i.e. in Third Person, a bomb goes off and the MC of the scene will say it was very hot. The first person voice over will quantify this by saying a sensor recorded a peak temp of 4000 degrees.)

I also tend to write as if the chapter is one particular episode in a TV series and the book is more of a DVD collection of the series. Each Chapter is really a short story giving a little bit of information for the over all plot of the book. I also relish a good cliff hanger mid action sequence. One of my best ended the book in the hero losing a telekinetic fight in a (still flying, mind you) ripped open airplane cabin.

3. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet Senior Member

That's kinda cool, I've heard of that being used sometimes but not a lot. It probably makes writing each chapter a bit easier too because you have a beginning, middle and an end

4. hszmv

hszmv Member

It works for me because I tend to write Superhero stuff, and this way, I can write an entire Rogues Gallery instead of just one over all bad guy.

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

This is probably my favorite way to tell a story. I have actually thought of doing something similar for a group of characters I created. While there would be an overall plot, it would be broken up as different stories. One would have them facing against giant Ogres in an attempt of helping a small village. While a different chapter would focus on them exploring some mystery of a cave. (its a high fantasy story)

I suppose one of my favorite examples is the season 4 of Doctor Who. Through out the season you have these seperate adventures all the while a common things keep popping up. The Bees and planets disapearing. All leading up to a single event.