Favourite Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Anomally, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Brode

Brode New Member

Mine is Grant Jackson, sniper extraordinaire. His sarcasm and general flippancy are a fun contrast to the straight-man marine who is supposed to be the main character of the story. The problem that I have, though, is keeping the story focused on the main protagonist rather than Grant; he's just so much easier for me to write.

2. seantrott

seantrott New Member

It's interesting to see how many people tend to gravitate emotionally towards the lovable and wisecracking sidekick, or simply the sidekick.

I'll list my own favorites, but I realize that no one will know what or who I'm talking about. :)
    1. Patrick Newsom-just started a new story with him. He's a history teacher in San Francisco. Poor but not living on the streets, he lives in a deteriorating world (2012), and in my story, he becomes increasingly pessimistic about life. I don't know, I guess I just like him because his revelation towards the end of the book is just so damn depressing its hard not to empathize with him.
    2. Hans Glendin-not the main character in my current book, he is a strong and calm man. He takes care of and acts as the father figure for the main character, Johnny. I like him because he just seems like the most likeable character, the only one who doesn't have too many flaws.
    3. Cal Lixon-in the same book as Hans, but he is a short, pale faced jerk, essentially. Insecure about himself and his position as sergeant in the military, he is on the opposing side in the war as Hans. I enjoy writing for him because he's just so easy to manipulate. It's fun to throw the possibilty of redemption around as well

3. Sywo

Sywo New Member

Apart from my main character, the Daemon Lord Laurana is one of my favourites. First shes a power hungry royal who seizes power while tending to her unsatable sex life. Next shes empress of a new, dominating world force. Soon after she meets the main character whom she lusts for. Eventually, due to the MC lack of complience and a certain magically engineered virus she becomes one of the extinct Lurz. (THink Alexia Ashford from Resident Evil: Code Veronica when shes transformed the first time.) Next the MC cures her so her troops rebel. Then she awakes in Hell as the Daemon Lord of Lust. Quite a hectic lifestyle!

4. all_my_hues

all_my_hues New Member

My two favorite literary chars are Severus Snape and Antigone. That being said, I don't think I have favorites in terms of my characters, just characters that I relate to more than the others :)
    So, I guess I'm agreeing with She Who Sleeps, haha.

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Much like Banzai, who posted a while ago, my favorite character I've ever come up with is one I haven't fit into a story yet. He goes by the mysterious name The Vaquero and is your typical quiet, athletic bad ass. Yeah, not to original. :redface:

6. BlueR

BlueR New Member

Yeah me too! I got the best character ever in my head but an incomplete story!

All I know is that he's a selfish bounty hunter in the middle of an intergalctic war.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

My favoute charitor is a mysterious man known only as 'The Gunslinger.'

Who was an expert dueler and marksman with a revolover. But, he is cold, and utterly heartless, who does like other people, but rarely shows it, often insulting them or making nasty, coy remarks about them. He also a thing about the cloth other his face, though his face is fine and untouched, he refuses anyone to look at his face. This is due to both shyness and insanity. He is an alcholic, and quick to anger, but somewhere within his soul, there is some one who just wants to do somthing nice before he dies.

I havn't been able to put him into a story yet.

8. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

My favorite character is Ronan, who is actually quite a new character. When I created him, my design was more or less, cute, cuter, cuter cuter, cuter, CUTER!!!!! :D So, now he's this small, meek boy with huge, downcast blue eyes and a soft voice, who is always painting little things in the corner. He's so much fun to write because he gets so flustered so easily.

9. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

My favorite charrie doesn't exist. :p But on an unbiased note, I guess I have my MC. He's an emotional guy who is very concerned about his family's wellbeing and is very hardworking. He has the brains and heart, all in one. What he lacks is time as he dies somewhat early in the novel. He's also a temper freak.

10. Nucky

Nucky New Member

My favorite character is still unnamed, but she's mostly based on me. She's been in two stories, but in one she was more innocent and sweet and in the other she was more cynical and has two parts to her mind. She has herself and her intelligence, Mivd. I like both versions. She is shy and is completely unwilling to speak to people, unless she has to. But that has to be a life or death situation and even then she has to think on it. She has many quirks and is incredibly smart. But nobody sees her as intelligent until they really know her. She makes outrageous claims, she said that she's been to Jesus' house, that she went into an alternate reality, and other things. I love writing with her as my main character. I've redid and redid her story.

11. Firefly

Firefly Member

I keep a stash of characters, ready to pull them out of the back of my head whenever I need them. But I have a few favorites, ones that I frequently give plots to if I should ever use them.

My favorite character right now is probably Jack, an anthropomorphic African wild dog (basically he's a dog that can do person things) I created long ago just for fun. I've got a few plots for him, but I haven't fitted him in any stories yet. He's kind of the "good leader" type that everybody looks up to. He's sly and good with words, often seen hanging out with his zoo friends (who are also anthropomorphic), like Penny the secretary bird, Lily the Gemsbok, Min the Gerenuk (his best friend despite the predator/prey difference), and Laura the Coyote. I've become quite attached to these guys. And I'm sure my fellow writers will know what I mean when I say that they're like my buddies. :D

12. Ohmytheoctopus

Ohmytheoctopus New Member

My favorite character is a guy named Zach Meirs. Everyone calls him Sparks, which is his hacker alias. He’s much more outspoken and humorous than the other characters in the story he’s in, which is nice because it’s a pretty serious story. He’s also very angsty, which I always adore >.<

13. Alice_Loves_Hatter

Alice_Loves_Hatter New Member

ooh, I like this guy...

Funnily, I was about to post about Stephen Kings gunslinger character, Roland. I LOVE him. Officially. but he's more of the typical badass guy who can't show his emotions; yours is genuinely mad. I liek. And the fact that he's an alcoholic is a nice one.
    Also, I'm in love with Euchrid Eucrow... from Nick Cave's And The Ass Saw The Angel... he's completely mad, mute, really grotty looking and unclean, a deranged kind of hermit guy who collects the wierdest things, but he's so damn cute!

As for my own character, the imaginitively named Nick takes the favourite title. He's the eternally suave, collected serial killer and loverman. And he looks like Nick Cave in my head haha.
    x.S.x

14. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

Actually, that exact character is from a book series by Stephen King called the Dark Tower Series. The Gunslinger is the main character named Roland. What a coincidence :D

My favorite character is named "D" from the graphic manga Vampire Hunter D. He's a dhampel (half vampire-half human) who, like the title suggests, kills vampires in the year 12,000 AD where vampires are evil dictactor/terrorist-like villains that ravage a war-torn Earth. There are two anime movies on him called Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, based off of the 1st and 3rd volumes of the series.

15. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

My favourite character Fae, but that is because I am so much lie her temper wise.

Oh and I always love my bad guys :D

16. Chickidy

Chickidy New Member

My favorite one is Frank Sellyon, the Shadow Man, an antagonist (yes, but he was really fun to write about) with superhuman powers he got from bargaining with the devil who runs an organization of street gangs in a zombie infested city and enslaves the other inhabitants to force them to build him a tunnel so he can go out into the world and spread the infection to give him the strong man influence to control it. He has the strength of three men, can shoot fire out of his hands and zombies don't seem to notice him, he can even control them sometimes. He might not be the best person in the world, but he was the best to write about, really fun, I miss Frank Sellyon, him and his army of pot head gnagsters.

Anybody else have a favorite character who was the antagonist?

17. wildflower

wildflower New Member

My favorite character is a secondary character called Lyall - he's a complete anti-hero when it comes to confrontations with the enemy, but he is devoted to my protag - who has no idea he watches out for her.

God I love him, lol - there should be more males like that

18. The Dark Writer

The Dark Writer New Member

No, I don't but I do have favourite Character for books I read.

19. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

My favorite character is one that I began when I first started writing, about 4 or 5 years ago. He's changed a lot since then; his name has changed multiple times, and so has his place in my stories. He may not be the same later on, but I'll probably never give him up.

20. Indiego

Indiego New Member

I've surprised myself with this, actually. My favorite character is my antagonist, Leonard Vindice. I think I've come to love him so much because I've had to spend so much time thinking about what kind of person he is, what motivates him, etc. I wanted my villain to be incredibly human and relatable, to the point that when my hero finally triumphs it's surprisingly bittersweet for the audience as well as my characters.

21. rumplestiltzkin

rumplestiltzkin New Member

Usually the characters I know best become my favorites....and the more I write about them, the better I get to know them. But I know a lot of my characters really well, so I guess I love them all. In some of my stories, I meant to kill off some of the main characters, but just couldn't bring myself to do it....it makes me feel like a wimp.

22. The Essential Writer

The Essential Writer New Member

Ender from Ender's Game. Utterly intriguing and complex, yet simple: He is a genius.

23. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Everyone latches on to a favorite character or two, they're kinda the blood and life of a good story. That's probably why they're usually the protagonist or the antagonist. No one would care about the conflict if it isn't fueled by good characters on both side. My favorite two characters in my own story happen to be the protagonist and the antagonist.

24. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

someplace that isn't actually a place but actually
    Harold from The Stand is a pretty awesome dude.

I have no idea as for characters I've written about, I haven't written enough stories to decide.

25. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Please note: This thread is for favorite (or favourite) characters of your own creation. There's another thread under Book Discussion for characters created by other authors.