Favourite Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Anomally, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

A favorite character from a novel I'm writing is Kat. She's quirky, perpetually jolly, and one of those type of people where if you don't keep up with them, you'll just get left in the dust. I like to think she's the personification of the word "chipper." Despite being a wanted burglar brought up from the streets, she's able to keep everyone's spirits up and just has a leadership quality about her that makes everyone follow of their own volition. That said, she can be a bit out of touch with what's socially acceptable, and tends to take words at face-value. Gah! I just love her to bits! :love:

Funnily enough, she's not the main character of the story. XD

2. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

My favorite character right now is one named Daniel Mazzi, and Italian-American who has grown up in a really bad neighborhood and studied music in college. I don't really know why I love him so much. He's kind of bratty and he doesn't like responsibilites. Maybe it's because in the end he always mans up and does what he has to in the end... he just likes to take detours.

Another favorite of mine is a character from a completely different story (Lord of Arrows, the one in my sig), named Aishe. She's just badass! However, I also like that she's quite innocent despite the badassery.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Mine is a side character Nox, in my first novel Bending Nature. It's about vampires from another planet that were sent to earth, similar to Superman. I love Nox so much, I've been waiting for a novel he can star in as MC.

Although a side character in Bending Nature, he has a lot of lines. He is a main side character. I'm not sure why he's my favorite. He's funny, silly, intelligent, emo, and doesn't care about what others think. Other than the emo part, he is a lot like me, which might be why I like him.

My second favorite character only appears in one scene in my third novel. He has what is known as alien hand syndrome, where his right hand literally has a mind of it's own. It makes for a funny and odd scene, almost disturbing. There is much more to this small character than that, though. In fact, I want him to star in a short story or novel.

4. Thom

Thom Active Member

My favorite character is one I created. Tamlin is young girl in a sword/sorcery tale, who finds that the salvation of the world is resting upon her shoulders. But all that she really wants is a family, and along the way, she finds that she does what she needs to do, not for the sake of the world, but for them.

5. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Hmm.. tricky, but on reflection it has to be Uli Skarsen.

He started of as a relatively minor character from a flashback in my novel, (Now unfortunately shelved, for the time being, while I get my act together.)

Although his role only lasted for about 20 pages or so, those pages were fairly intense. His appearance helped shape the character of my major protagonist in a pivotal way. I think the reason I love him so much, is that I spent a lot of time developing his appearance, and mannerisms. He is real to me, and has insinuated himself into my being more than any of the other characters I've written since. He has a way about him, that I've been hard pressed to shirk, so much so, that he's also gone on to feature in several story stories I've went on to to write.

What I find worrying about this, is that surely I should feel at least as much for my main character. But the truth is, I don't. I've often wondered whether my feelings for him have caused me to become biased towards my other characters, and whether the writing suffers as a consequence.

But thinking on it, when I'm reading, I often find myself more captivated by well written secondary characters, so perhaps it's just a reflection of the fact that just like in life, there will always be personalities and characters we are drawn to more.

I admire this character immensely. In many respects, he is everything I would wish to be, but am too weak-willed. I am completely, irrevocably in love with him.

Pity he's gay. ;)

6. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

This is a toughie, but out of all my writing, maybe my Wizard character. He's been featured in numerous stories and a novella, and I like watching his growth across these stories. Last story he popped up in he was an insane, ancient old man, with cataract-clouded eyes, who spoke in archaic, Jacobean English, and pretended to be the Twelfth Imam. He then proceeded to slaughter thousands of people by conjuring lions and jackals, and is almost invincible. He carries an ancient tome filled with spells -- written in all sorts of different languages -- and he is reborn from a giant desert monster at the end of my novella, after he is incinerated by napalm.

7. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

My villains.

8. Justin Ladobruk

Justin Ladobruk Active Member

Had a character I based on me and my life, put into a fantasy setting. So wish I still had a copy...

9. iolair

iolair Active Member

Great name!

10. iolair

iolair Active Member

I've been writing my first novel for five years - I'm now on the final editing pass (at last!) and I've had different favourites at different times during the process. I think the character I'd most like to meet in real life would be Matheus. He's a black brazilian. When he was younger, he learnt from his father to be a shepherd in the highlands of Brazil. When he was 19, his father was murdered while he was completing his national service, and he went travelling and encountered and became a member of a secret spiritual order fighting against evil organisations that infiltrate governments or police (and therefore the governments or police do not deal with). As we meet him in the novel, he is in his late 50's, very wise - having seen a lot in his life - , and still carries his father's shepherd staff. He's physically huge - tall and broad-shouldered - and a more-than competent hand-to-hand fighter with his staff or unarmed.

11. New Konoiche

New Konoiche Member

I like pretty much all of my characters, with the exception of a few who are meant to be unlikable and several others who I used to like, but later changed my mind about. That said, yeah, I have some who stand out to me more than others, most of whom I find easier to relate to.

So, top 5 (who are all pretty much equal) are:

Lesley: She's kinda' the comic relief (although everyone is pretty funny in this -verse) and somewhat of a prankster. She's also really brash, confident, and kind of cocky and tends to take herself a bit too seriously (although everything else is pretty much a joke to her). Kind of immature and lazy, but she's getting better about it. Yeah, I relate to her quite a bit, although not sure I should be admitting that. ;)

Flora: Mentioned her before in another thread, yeah? She's somewhat of a spoiled, stuck-up princess, kind of a drama queen and more of a follower (beta female) than a leader (although she has leadership tendencies at times) but is also very driven, generous and good-hearted. In spite of being popular, she's also very lonely and feels that no one knows the "real" her.

Cheryl: Probably the character I relate to most, she's very warm, bubbly, peaceful, calm and friendly, but also has a bitchy side. She tends to be a bit passive-aggressive, complains about things, sometimes talks about people behind their backs and also is somewhat known for her inability to mind her own business. She also has a lot of barely hidden anger that comes out at times. She's probably the most self-aware of my protagonists, however, so at least she acknowledges her flaws.

IBM62: An experimental clone made from the combined DNA of several different people ("IBM" in my universe stands for Inter-cloned Blood Magepath). She has spent nearly all her life in a lab, so she has extremely bad people skills and is very socially inept. She loves learning new things and sharing her knowledge with others. She tends to have very weird/quirky interests. She is generally very shy, but also likes people and is eager to please.

Caro: My favorite character, at the moment. IDK, she just is. She is the sassy party girl of the group and rarely takes anything seriously. She also has quite a biting sense of humor and likes to mess with people. Though she's usually laid-back, she can also be stubborn and reckless at times. Like Flora, she's popular, but lonely, because she doesn't often let people get close to her and hates showing weakness.

12. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

New writer so of my limited pool

My character: SGT Jack Woods. A troubled Army sergeant who has a trouble with authority despite being in the military. His mannerisms, his attitude, his unique abilities, and his anti-heroness despite his constant improvments. I think it's his steadfast belief in what is right and what is wrong, regardless of what the law says.

13. Richard Tijerina

Richard Tijerina Member

Roland of Gilead from the Dark Tower series.