1. Youngy

Youngy New Member

Novel Simple query requiring a simple answer.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Youngy, Feb 17, 2010.

Hey there writers.
    Like the title suggests this is just a simple question that will require a short and simple answer.
    I am writing a novel based around the music industry about a fictional band and I was just wondering what the rules are on associating band 'X' with other, real bands. For example, would I be able to say that band 'X' went on tour with a real band such as Take That?
    Also, would I be able to say that band 'X' were signed to a real life label such as Polydor or would I need to invent a new one of my own.

Please help :)

2. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

I work as a lawyer in the U.K. Just be careful that you don’t write anything defamatory. You might get sued. More likely, you’ll just put off publishers because they won't want to get sued if they think there is the slightest risk. Similarly, they won’t to pay for a lawyer to read the manuscript if you are an unknown writer.

Just be careful. Don’t have real-life people taking drugs and the like.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you can do that and get away with, IF you don't write anything derogatory about those existing entities...

4. Youngy

Youngy New Member

Ah, thank you for the answers :)
    I did not want to mention anything bad about existing people, it was just a case of mentioning them in passing and associating the fictional band with them via touring etc.
    But I was not going to include the real people as big characters so it should be all good, right?
    I just wanted to check I didn't need to have special permission or anything like that.

5. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

Just make sure your band is 100% clean cut. You don’t want to start associating real-life bands with a bunch of drug takers etc.

You’d need to check your local laws re permissions. I can’t say either way. Some countries have draconian laws, and I don’t know where you are from. For all I know, you may live in one of those countries.

6. Youngy

Youngy New Member

Actually I am in the United Kingdom so it kind of really helps that you know the laws of the UK. Thank you.

7. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

No problem. And should it all go wrong for you, I’m a bargain at £175 per hour. Oh, plus VAT.

8. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

I think as long as you don't write anything bad about the bands then you're fine. OR write something that would cause them to loose business or destroy their character in anyway. I think. But I'm no lawyer

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

mentioning real people and other entities in fiction is done all the time... if you cross the line into actionable territory, your agent/publisher [should you be lucky enough to get either/both] will ask for a change... so don't sweat it now, since you know not to be derogatory in any way...

10. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Really? That much?

Wow!

IN ANSWER TO QUESTION.....

Yes you can write in real people. I'm reading a book at the moment and it includes real people, but if any character is in it a lot and/or has done/said anything wrong then person is replaced with a fictional character, but it doesn't take a genius to work out they closely resemble Simon Cowell/David Beckham etc