1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Writing From Dreams

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Jul 14, 2014.

I've always had vivid dreams, many that I thought would make great stories or movies, but lately it's been happening more than ever. To me it seems like I can feel all my senses in my dream and that helps open my mind even more to exactly what I should be writing. Has anyone else had a lot of similar instances happen to them? I had one recently that would make an absolute killer comedic horror movie. Too bad I'm not a more talented writer. :rolleyes:

2. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I'd love to have dreams like this! I have very vivid dreams (usually nightmares, really) and when I first wake up from them I think they'd make excellent stories, but once I've woken up properly and had my coffee I realise that a story about being possessed by a local Ward Councillor who makes the MC buy prawn sandwiches when she just wants cheese is actually a bit too niche for me :p

matwoolf likes this.
  3. zaneoriginal

zaneoriginal New Member

I too have very vivid dreams.

Sometimes the events in my dreams seem like a good story idea, but more often there is an experience or image I get from my dreams that I feel would be a great thing to include in a written work. My challenge has been capturing the emotions or power of an image or idea from my dreams and putting it into writing.

I've heard of people keeping dream journals where they write down their dreams every morning when they wake up. I've never tried this, but I wouldn't discount the idea out of hand.

If your dreams give you inspirational ideas, I would try working with them in your writing. Even if you don't think you're a good writer. Maybe the first few tries won't be that great, but if you can hold onto whatever it was you found inspirational and work with it, maybe you might find something worthwhile.

4. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I do, normally they make no sense, but I modify them for my stories.

5. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I always tell people that I have crazy vivid dreams, but they typically don't believe me. Then I tell them about a dream I had, and it always shocks people how detailed they are. I can remember almost everything about them, including colors, words, faces, etc.

Every story I'm writing has come from one of my dreams in some way. One story, I took two separate dreams and put them together and built a story off of it. Another story I took the general idea from my dream and started the story off of the that. I actually just had a dream two days ago that I plan on turning into a story.

Apparently my unconscious mind is way more creative than my conscious mind. lol

Lewdog likes this.