1. Wexeldorf

Wexeldorf Member

Fear of writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Wexeldorf, Jul 16, 2016.

Does anyone else have a fear of writing? For me I would love to be a professional writer but find that I'm scared to seriously put pen to paper in case I am awful or even worse, that I'm actually good but never get published. What motivates you to sit down and start writing through all the barriers we have in front of us?

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think you have a fear of writing; I think you have a fear of failure.

And, realistically, trying to get published is a long string of failures for almost everybody. If you can find a way to write for the joy of writing, that'll probably be your best inspiration--let the idea of publication be a fun possibility, but not the main goal.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I find it useful to keep in mind that there really aren't that many aspects of writing that you actually control. These include: a) the amount of effort you put in trying to improve; b) the development of your own good taste; c) your subject matter and how original it is; and d) how persistent you are in trying to get published.

You are not in control of whether or not others see your work as "awful." Furthermore, you are not in control over whether any given traditional publisher will want to publish your work.

So, as with just about anything else, your job is simple: do the best you can with the qualities you were born with. If you do that, you won't fear writing and you won't even fear failure.

The only thing you should really fear is not making the effort to do your absolute best. :)

peachalulu and Wexeldorf like this.
  4. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

Yup.
    I started off this way, too, frozen into doing nothing because doing something that would/might be rejected was too scary to even think about.

The way I got past this was by going to the library and checking out books on writing. A few at a time, I read nearly everything they had (somewhere around 200 books) and made notes on anything that seemed important to remember.

And in the meantime, I joined a theatre group (I was a working actor at the time) who wrote their own material. Working with other people who were writing plays and skits helped me see what worked and didn't work and how to make the latter into the former.
    I have a story to tell and a specific person I want to tell it to for reasons that make sense to me and that person.

Wexeldorf likes this.
  5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What @BayView and @minstrel said.

Write and read; read and write. Worry about the rest later.

Wexeldorf likes this.
  6. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

I have never had this fear mainly because I know that whether I get publish or not I will continue to write even if the only person that reads it is me. I write first because I love it, getting published is the goal but its not the reason.

Wexeldorf likes this.
  7. haider

haider Member

To me personally when I have idea fully formed or even partially formed that so good .Its hard to keep it for yourself , and I have share with people in best medium .I mean its enough to write down and be happy about it .But it would be nice to share it . My possession with writing force to write down , because of I don't it .It bother me , irritated me and give me bad mood.

Wexeldorf likes this.
  8. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

Everyone starts awful. I forgot which author said this, "how can you fix something if you can't see it?"

Wexeldorf likes this.
  9. WingDingGaster

WingDingGaster Member

Yup yup yup.

It's seriously the reason I registered here: hoping for some motivation to not let these thoughts fade and be lost for once. But I guess I tend to always want everything to be perfect the first time around, so I never bother to actually write....

10. deadrats

deadrats Active Member

Here's the thing. Writing improves with practice. How dramatically your writing improves and how quickly you improve is going to be directly tied to how much you write. I write quite often because I want to reach a certain level of storytelling beyond where I feel I am right now. My first everything was bad. My first novel. My first short story. My first article. My first essay. None of them were publishable. They weren't awful, but it wasn't like I just decided to be a writer and was brilliant at it. I had to work crazy hard to get to a level where I was writing professionally. And I still have to work crazy hard. What I don't understand is why you want to do something you have a fear of doing. Sure, it's cool to be a writer (aspiring and professional included), but you have to actually like writing enough to do it.