1. rickyalmighty

rickyalmighty New Member

feedback on this idea please?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by rickyalmighty, Aug 23, 2008.

hey,
    i just wanted to throw an idea out there and get some fefedback about what anyone thinks about.

i had an idea to write a story about a group of people more or less thrown together for various reasons that would be explained as the story developed and it would be a fantasy-type story.

only i got to thinking about it more and more and the more i worked through it the more i thought how it might be better if it wasn't fantasy at all.

seven or eight people working together as, more or less, a vigilante group in a corrupt town.

i was thinking of writing it in parts. say in the first part they deal with smaller crimes and criminals and as the entire story develops all the characters get involved in taking on serious crime like drug lords or people traffickers.

thoughts? good? bad? bollocks?
    and feedback would be appreciated,
    thanks
    ~eric

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Before you feel like you are getting clobbered for posting your question, a few hints.

First, there are no new ideas. Ever seen Avatar: The Legend of Aang? A group of kids thrown together for various reasons and purposes who come together to save the world. Sound familiar?

Second, the fact that there are no ideas does not mean that you should not give your story a go. It all depends on the execution of the story.

Is it cohesive?
    Does the plot make sense?
    Are the characters three dimensional?
    Does it introduce an intriguing conflict?
    Did you make the conflict matter to the reader?

Get those things right, and the story can be about anything you want. Even the most cliché and well worn plots get rewritten every day and sell!

3. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately it all comes down to you as a writer. Ideas rise or fall based on the execution of the story.

4. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

Marquez did this sorta - in the book No One Writes to the Colonel. I thought it was one of his better stories, so if you can pull it off go for it.

5. mooncloud

mooncloud New Member

I agree with others that it all depends on how it's executed. That said, I think the idea has potential. Exploring how the characters' lives intertwine when they aren't working together as a vigilante group could also be interesting.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)