1. Lolani

Lolani New Member

Cemetary thoughts plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lolani, Aug 18, 2008.

I visited my local cemetary, and couldn't help but feel an emotional draw towards each plot (burial, not story plot xDD). I had so many ideas for stories running through my mind the entire time I'm walking around, but I couldn't distinctly define any one.

But, what I did catch was pretty good; or so I think :p

Now, here's what I had in mind.

The main character, who would probably need a reason for visiting the cemetary (unlike myself who goes there just to explore xD), finds out that he can connect with the person (who has been buried) and see, vividly, their past.

Trying to figure out what it all means, a spiritual being (which is yet to be defined) tells him that there's reason for the power being passed to him.

A war, created by history repeating itself, is slowly appearing. But, what's even worse, not only shall every living thing cease to exist, but the world itself shall be destroyed in the process.

The spirit also tells him that, by looking through the deceased's pasts, he can find certain events that can connect to a solution for the terrible future.

This spiritual being has gathered three others (not human, and have been brought from the spirit's world) to help guide him through each obstacle, along with fighting against this uproar.

Here's a list of what I need help with so far:

The main character's name (I can always pull something together.)

I have yet to define the spirit being. I could always call it a demon and be done with it; but demon's have been labeled as evil. I guess you could call him evil. Suggestions?

As for the other's the spitit guy called for, I had thought to tie them into the elements, but that's been done over too many times. Then there's sorcerers, which I can always use as an option, but it's so... cheesy. I guess there's always guardians, or mentors (but, technically, not in that sense. More like guardians or guides.) Any suggestions on that?

I think that's it for the list....

OH! Also...

I was thinking the main focus would be on searching through the past, and having the main character scuffle through his normal life (whilst everyone's worrying about what he's doing... though he eventually tells them.)

I'm not exactly sure about puting a love interest into this, considering all the confusion it could add, but it's a thought.

Help is appreciated, and suggestions and tweaks are loved!

Lolani.

2. DarkMaiden273

DarkMaiden273 New Member

I would put a love interest, but make it a twist. Like one of the Three that are sent to help him. I'd make it maybe some characters like from Greek mythology. You know, harpies, druids, nymphs, etc... Maybe not those nessecarily but along those lines. The Spiritual being may be evil but the MC probably shouldnt be.

Also maybe one of the Three could at end turn one them---be evil---backstab...

Hope I helped.

3. Lolani

Lolani New Member

Thanks so much. I'll have to look into all of that (greek mythology-wise, since I'm not so familiar with it all)

As for the evilness of it all...
    I love the idea to have one of the Three be evil. Unbeknownst to them all, one of 'them' helping to fight all of this is actually backpedling their efforts. It's perfect!

Then, with the spirit guy, having him be evil only adds to all the mystery. Considering the evil ones are part of the plan to destroy the human world, it makes his purpose questionable. Hmm... Now that I think about it, I might run into some problems with that....

Anyways, help is still appreciated and suggestions and things are loved!!!

Lolani.

4. DarkMaiden273

DarkMaiden273 New Member

Welcome and suggestion. www.wikipedia.org is extremely helpful and has all you'd want to know and More on it about everything and Greek mythology too.

And if the Sp. being was evil-he could be a god--neutral--but by moral standards evil. Doesnt want humans to die---because then wont be whorshiped.

5. Lolani

Lolani New Member

xDD Alright, I'll have to check wikipedia again. I've been there tons for other things, but never for greek stuff. Hmmm.... Then again, I probably will be studying greek history (along with the rest of the world) this year in school.

As for the god suggestion, it might be 'god modding' (no pun xD) I'm not particularly interested in making any character too.... powerful. Certain ones, especially the non-humans, will have powers, and shall be more powerful than the others... But I'd feel like I'm shining the spotlight directly on one character if I make it too powerful. I'll probably find a way to keep him mysterious (by hiding what he is) and elusive while plainly and openly describing him.

Confusing, I know, but I'll work that aspect out one way, or another.

6. DarkMaiden273

DarkMaiden273 New Member

No thats really cool and a good idea. I do agree now that I think about it on the too powerful thing.

When your done writing--if you write--then I'd like to read!? If you post on here then I certainly will. I think it's going to be good and pretty original. :D

7. Lolani

Lolani New Member

I'm definitely going to write it. I love the idea soooo much.

I'm hoping mom will drive me to the cemtary more often. It's so peaceful there...

She doesn't like it, though. She think's it's disrespectful to walk through (and across) the plots. Ah, well. I love reading the headstones and imagining their lives.

Oh, well, back to the point. Assuming I'm right about the blog on this site, I'll be making one with the progress of the book. I'll get it up and running, soon.

Also, if anyone else has suggestions, feel free to drop a reply! I'll take all the help I can get!

8. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

I don't see the the need to stick a "love interest" in absolutely every story. Especially since starting a character who's only purpose is "love interest" they usually come out shallow and dull to read.

It's not a romance so why should you have to have one?
    Just my thoughts, I'm no romantic and if it's not needed most stories would be better off without it, IMO.

9. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I agree. If you find that a love interest is vital to the storyline, then include it. If its just there to be there, then don't include it.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

IEveryone ready? here it is again)

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that [again!]... m

12. penhobby

penhobby New Member

With respect to Cogito and Mai, I must disagree (respectfully)
    Forums are sounding boards. They are the places you go to bounce ideas off of other members and then you go write the story. Start with an idea that you liked and go from there. But be careful. Too much conceptual work in the beginning (outlines, character plots, character charts ect.) will kill the creative flow of any story... in my opinion. And that is what any member on this forum will give you...an opinion. It's up to you, how and if you use it.

By the way, you are right about cemeteries providing creative ideas at least they did for me. There was a cemetery out behind our house and as a kid and I found myself going over there frequently to get away from my house. I still remember this one head stone of this little boy who died in the 1800's. I always wondered about him and how he died. Also there are the epitaphs. Entire books have been written on epitaphs alone! Here’s one on humorous ones, but there were loads more. http://www.joerickson.ca/

13. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

I read this and like the idea.

After reading what DarkMaiden273 wrote I had thought that may help.

My suggestion is to make the spirit that talks to your main character a druid (or some other being interested in nature) with his powers coming from nature. Doesn't mean he can do anything nature can do but it certainly gives him an interest in having the world continue to exist. He wouldn't have to care too much about the humans in it as long as the plants and animals were saved.

And if one of his abilities is to summon creatures and/or ask creatures to help than that would explain the 3 that he says will come to help the main character.