1. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Senior Member

feels like...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Forgetmenot77, Jan 21, 2009.

I am crawling along with my short story and it is getting worse. I know where I am going with it but it is taking so long just to get anything on paper. I had to switch gears and come up with a little story but I figure that is better since it is asking a lot to read so much and many people don't have much time on their hands. Hopefully, I will have it ready by the end of this month. I guess I am just whinning a bit because it is taking so long. Getting frustrated with myself cause it is taking too much time.

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Don't worry, it happens to many. Sometimes it takes a really long time just to write a small amount. Not everyone's writing just flows out It's happening to me right now. I've been working on something for 2 years, but only have around 25k words. Just have more patience with yourself.

3. Sekiko

Sekiko Member

I can't really tell without seeing some of your writing myself, and yes, it sometimes takes a long time. But if you're short story is under 5000 words...

And I don't want to come off sounding rude, but I can put this no more delicately:
    Suck it up. Get your butt off the internet forums, and write.

Sorry if that seems a little harsh. But really. Stop making excuses. If you are making excuses, I mean. I can't really tell without seeing your writing.

But yeah.

4. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Senior Member

I have a rough draft right now and I will not be able to put it out for review until I can get one or two more reviews done. Right now, I am helping my daughter with her homework.

5. Sekiko

Sekiko Member

Nice. :D

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

Well...writing, like anything you work at really hard, isn't supposed to be easy or quick. Even if it tends to come easily to somebody (like me--I'm not saying I'm good, just that I normally don't struggle with it), it still takes a lot of time and patience to finish things. If it were quick and easy, then anybody and everybody could do it. *shrug*

Finishing things, no matter how long it takes, is the key, and what separates writers from non-writers. So keep on plugging along. Most of us get that feeling at times.

7. lipton_lover

lipton_lover Contributing Member

I have no idea how old you are or where you live, but I suppose it'd be just as useful no matter what if you can take a creative writing class. I always do better in writing while in a creative writing class, both during and after class. It's also a great way to get new ideas if your teacher gives you assignments. For instance, yesterday she told us to use a particular line (someone saying, "thank you, it's just what I hoped for.") and after writing for a few minutes without knowing where I was going, I got the beginning for another possible short story. Other than that, you'll just have to wade through the slow times. It happens to everyone, and it always goes away eventually.

8. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

If it were easy everybody would do it. There are valleys and peaks in every activity. You'll be fine, just keep on moving. Good luck.

9. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 Contributing Member

I suggest you write till you finish. Once you are done proofread your work and see where you can improve.

This is all I can suggest. Writing takes practice so just keep at it and you will be fine.