Female view of showering.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Link the Writer, Mar 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

What's all this about women shaving? *shudders* I've obviously lived in Turkey too long. Here, female hair must be plentiful on the head and everywhere else (yes, everywhere) it is waxed off.

Also, most people in England I visit still seem to have baths, not showers--God knows what the appeal of sitting in dirty water is--and they have really low pressure and limited supplies of hot water, so you feel like you're making indecent demands on their resources if you try and stay under the shower long.

And when I was at my all girls boarding school we never, never, never walked around naked, and dressing and undressing, beauty treatments etc were all done very discreetly--according to my neices it's still the same. Sorry to pop a few male fantasies here.

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Awesome. Here people never think twice about being naked with other girls. Unless you got issues with your body/appearerence etc.

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Yes, I know--Holland, too. We used to stay at camping sites all over Europe when I was a kid, and the cultural differences were very revealing (no, well not much, pun intended).

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I don't think people care that much in the U.S. either, but of course it depends on where you are and what type of demographic and age group you're in. I don't care about it at all, as long as my power of choice/consent is respected; for example, I'm totally okay with changing into a swimsuit in front of my group of friends, but I would not be okay with there being a surveillance camera or something in said changing room.

Is this thread honestly about a story, or is it just curiousity as to what women do in the shower? ;) lmao.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Male View of Showering lol it is interesting I was laughed at in my chatroom but there are some subtle difference that have caused my bestfriend to wish I wasn't so graphic with my writing. :)

Have yet to shower a girl except in a teen sex scene :)

6. Mallory

How interesting. :)

7. Elgaisma

LOL I kept it clean didn't embarrass Angus too much :) Did let him have one with Bea later in the book :)

8. Mallory

So Angus doesn't let you be descriptive when he's alone, but he's okay with it when he's with Bea? :)

9. Elgaisma

He's a little bolder with Bea but closes the shower curtain before it get's too juicy. :) Socrates and Nate on the other hand don't care lol

10. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    I think, for the purposes you have here, just choose a scent for her soap (look in the aisles at the store for ideas!), and maybe mention her stopping mid-lather as the idea strikes her. Whether it's mid-lather for the hair or soaping down, it will work. And it will bring the point home, as we don't generally pause mid-lather when showering.

Shampoos are chosen by hair type, and it won't really matter too much if you get it exactly right. You could simply choose a smell for this as well. She grabs her shampoo bottle, squeezes out a dime/quarter sized glob, and massages it into her hair/head. Smells rise with happy sighs.

Order of business, at least here: Stand still, enjoy the water's heat and the quiet from the house. Shampoo. Soap down. That mesh thingy has always been called a "shower pouf" here. Image search at Google confirms it. If you mean the scratchy exfoliating brown thing, that's a Loofah. The pouf is a more day to day thing and a loofah is more for once a week-ish, or if one has worked hard in the garden and needs to de-grime.

Anyway, stand there, shampoo, soap, shave if I'm going to bother that day, stand some more until the water starts to get cold (I don't have a huge water heater so it doesn't take long), hop out. And I generally towel off while still in the tub, not on the bath mat. Too much drippage from the hair if I do it that way. I don't like a soggy bath mat.

Hope that helps! ;)

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I promise I won't be as graphic. :D

That's what I had in my mind. She's lathering up her hair when the realization hits her. She wraps herself in a towel (and wraps an extra around her head) and charges out to inform the crew.

12. Mallory

Link - she informs the crew in her towel? :)

13. Elgaisma

lol first shower scene I wrote ended with Angus going bareback riding literally :) Didn't even think about dressing him.

14. Link the Writer

Well...it was just an idea, show how urgent things are. The ship's about to take off from the planet that she just realized they shouldn't leave just yet.

15. bekajoi

bekajoi New Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    She could throw a robe on, rather than wander around in just a towel. I often bring my terrycloth robe into the bathroom when I shower and pop it on when I'm done drying off. :)

16. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Maybe it's an all-female crew (or all the men in the crew are gay).

17. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Or a society with non sexual nudity. There is a lot of thous.

18. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

1. wait, you mean women showering at the gym don't wash each other?
    Next you'll tell me all sleep overs don't always include a pillow fight.:eek:

I tried to multi-quote but both times it failed.

Peerie-What is wrong with us english speaking pervs?(US and England?)
    Did Benny Hill corrupt us all? Dang, I just dated myself.:rolleyes:

I think Germany was middle of the road. They had a sex shop in the airport, but I think they are more accepting then the US is.

19. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That made me laugh so hard. :) So not what I was expecting.

Eek, waxing the rest of your body? I would really like to get laser hair removal for everything except the hair on my head, but I don't know if I'd be brave enough to get waxed.

I like that idea. Don't really see what the big deal is about her being in a towel vs a robe vs anything else...towel is quickest, and she's still covered.

Also, I like the suggestion that if she's using her time cleansing herself to ponder over something weighing on her mind, having her take a bath and mull things over might be better. Bubble baths rock for when you want some time alone to think.

Getting back on topic, though, my showering routine...I wash my face, then put shampoo in. While shampoo is in, I use my loofah and coconut scented body wash to clean myself (god, I'm jealous of those of you who don't have to soap up every day!), then rinse all the soap and shampoo off. After that, I put conditioner in my hair and let it sit while I shave. Then I rinse the conditioner out and, voila, I am clean! I don't know exactly how long it takes me, but I listen to music while I shower and typically go through 3-4 songs, so I'd guess about 10-15 minutes.

20. Link the Writer

I concur, Hidden.

I think the others were just joking around because if she's running around wrapped in nothing but a towel, her crew (especially the men) will most likely be looking at her oddly. It might make for a hilarious scene. Her, in a towel, telling the helmsman to turn around and get back onto the planet. Her friend then tells off those who are staring at the captain's odd apperance.

She's probably going to be dripping wet, covered with soap. Yeah, someone's gonna make a snarky comment at her. XD

21. Mallory

lol how far of a walk is it from her shower to her crew? How long is she wearing just the towel?

I'm sorry..I'm just finding this really funny. :)

22. Link the Writer

Well, the ship's all one deck and her cabin is just a short walkway toward the bridge/control center. When she gets to the bridge, the two helmsmen notice her strange apperance and feel awkward, looking at each other nervously.

Helen spends about thirty minutes in her towel, trying to convince them to turn the ship around. You can imagine how confused everyone is. One of them even thinks she's not the captain because the captain would never barge into the bridge improperly clothed (and since Helen usually keeps her shoulder-length hair pinned, she looks different now that they are loose). Her friend, Lindsey, comes to the rescue and tells everyone to back off and just do what she tells them.

Once the order is confirmed, Helen retreats to her cabin to get dressed. Suspecting that some might try to sneak into her cabin for a peak, she orders the ship's computer to lock the door upon her entering it.

23. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

Look, if she can spend thirty minutes persuading them to turn around, she can take a couple of minutes to get at least somewhat properly dressed. If it was truly urgent it would be too late in thirty minutes. It sounds unreasonable for her to not at least put on a robe or something. I mean she's in the military right? so she could probably get into basic clothes pretty quickly, even though she might not have time to dry her hair and do makeup and stuff. The towel just seems silly to me considering the situation.

And while I agree with everyone that nudity is not seen as sexual in many cultures, at least not in this context, Link is probably writing for an American audience--or at least an English speaking one, which means the U.S., the UK, and Australia. Just a factor to be considered.

24. Link the Writer

You make great points. If it's truely urgent, then she shouldn't have any time at all. Maybe like three minutes at most to go and convince them to turn around and head back.

Yeah, if the situation is supposed to be all "OMG STOP! Go back! We're not supposed to leave! OMG!!" then her in a towel would kill the mood. At the very least, she runs out in her bath robe.

25. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I agree about the point about 30 minutes being too long to be reasonable. However, being wrapped in a towel is certainly not the same as being nude. A decent-sized towel doesn't show any more than a reasonable cocktail dress, which, sure, would probably turn some heads, but is a far cry from her walking out onto the bridge in her birthday suit. I like the idea of the towel if you decrease the time, it adds both comedic relief and tension to the scene.